Manora or Manoro (Sindh: منهوڙو جزيرو/ ٻيٽ) (Urdu: جزیرہ منوڑا) is a small peninsula (2.5 km²) located just south of the Port of Karachi Sindh, Pakistan. Manora is connected to the mainland by a 12 kilometer long causeway called the Sandspit. Manora and neighboring islands form a protective barrier between Karachi harbor to the north and the Arabian Sea to the south. The western bay of the harbor contains endangered mangrove forests which border the Sandspit and Manora island. To the east is Karachi Bay and the beach towns of Kiamari and Clifton. The peninsula is located at (24.800000, 66.970000). There are several ethnic groups including Muhajirs, Punjabis, Sindhis, Christians Kashmiris Seraikis, Pashtuns Balochis, Memons, Bohras and Ismailis.Manora is a popular picnic spot because of the long sandy beaches along the southern edge of the island, which merge into the beaches of the Sandspit and then extend several kilometres to the beaches at Hawkesbay. At the southeastern end of Manora island is the tallest lighthouse (28 m or 91 feet high) in Pakistan. The island lies approximately 15-20 minutes by boat ride from mainland Karachi but there are no good hotels available for an overnight stay.
|PAF Mirage crashes in Karachi :||18 Oct 2016|
|15 dead in Karachi violence :||07 Oct 2012|
|Official killed in Karachi :||26 Jun 2012|
|Karachi traders to stage sit-in -:||25 Jun 2012|
|Pakistan launches targeted operation in Karachi :||07 Sep 2013|
|Karachi -Pakistan’s lifeline or City of Death:||31 Jan 2011|
|Hindus in Pak struggle to take back temple:||01 Jan 2008|
|Latitude and Longitude of the city Karachi Manora:||24.7903 / 66.9797|
|UTM:||42R 295546 2743658|
|Geo URI :||Geo:24.794056,66.977528|
|DMS:||24° 4738.6 N, 66° 58 39.1 E|
|Year first constructed :||1851 (first)|
|Year first lit:||1889 (current)|
|Construction :||Stone tower|
|Tower shape :||cylindrical tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern seaward:||red and white horizontal bands tower landward: unpainted tower|
|Height:||38 metres (125 ft)|
|Focal height :||48 metres (157 ft)|
|Range:||26 nautical miles (48 km; 30 mi)|
|Characteristic :||Fl W 7.5s.|
|Admiralty number :||D7750|
|ARLHS number :||PAK-002|
|Managing agent:||Karachi Port Trust|
Manoras lighthouse is the tallest in the country. It was inaugurated on April 1, 1889 and its light is visible from 20 nautical miles. Hyper-radiant Fresnel lens is used to generate the light reaching this distance. The original lighthouse at the same place was erected in 1851 which was replaced by much taller lighthouse in 1891 with increased traffic reaching Karachi port. The current lighthouse is 91 feet tall.
The small protestant church right next to it is called the St Pauls church. It is much older than the current lighthouse and its roof stands on wooden trusses. The place is locked up and the karachi walla could not make his way inside. Too bad. Even the chowkidars at the lighthouse were not welcoming. You need to know someone to make your way in. Photography is prohibited. There are some sensitivities which a karachi walla like me fails to understand. It is beautiful from inside. Bold paint, design and light adds to the flavour. The swirling staircase gets narrower as you reach closer to the top. The place is really old. The optical setup from good old days is intact and maintained well by KPT. The base on which the giant optical setup rotates is not fueled by a generator but is winded using a key! Move out to the balcony and experience the view. Feel the vastness of Arabian Sea. Turn around and witness the vastness of the city. Its rusty skyline, narrow lanes of Manora town, busy kemari port, fast moving boats, magnificent oyster rocks. Everything looks tiny, pure and free of trouble. You feel like believing in the city again, drowning all its sorrows in your heart.
The area of Karachi was known to the ancient Greeks by many names: Krokola, the place where Alexander the Great camped to prepare a fleet for Babylonia after his campaign in the Indus valley‘Morontobara’ island (ancient Manora island near Karachi harbour), from where Alexander’s admiral Nearchus set sail; and Barbarikon , a port of the Indo-Greek Bactrian kingdom Alexander’s writers:
Then making their way through two rocks, so close together that the oar-blades of the ships touched the rocks to port and starboard, they moored at Morontobara, after sailing some three hundred stades. The harbour is spacious, circular, deep, and calm, but its entrance is narrow. They called it, in the natives’ language, ‘The Ladies’ Pool,’ since a lady was the first sovereign of this district. When they had got safe through the rocks, they met great waves, and the sea running strong; and moreover it seemed very hazardous to sail seaward of the cliffs. For the next day, however, they sailed with an island on their port beam, so as to break the sea, so close indeed to the beach that one would have conjectured that it was a channel cut between the island and the coast. The entire passage was of some seventy stades. On the beach were many thick trees, and the island was wholly covered with shady forest. About dawn, they sailed outside the island, by a narrow and turbulent passage; for the tide was still falling. And when they had sailed some hundred and twenty stades they anchored in the mouth of the river Arabis. There was a fine large harbour by its mouth; but there was no drinking water; for the mouths of the Arabis were mixed with sea-water. However, after penetrating forty stades inland they found a water-hole, and after drawing water thence they returned back again. By the harbour was a high island, desert, and round it one could get oysters and all kinds of fish. Up to this the country of the Arabeans extends; they are the last Indians settled in this direction; from here on the territory, of the Oreitans begins.
The Manora Island and was visited by Ottoman admiral Seydi Ali Reis and mentioned in his book Mirat ul Memalik in 1554. According to the British historian Eliot, parts of city of Karachi and the island of Manora at port of Karachi constituted the city of Debal. The island was the site of a small fort constructed in the eighteenth century when the port of Karachi traded with Oman and Bahrain. The Kalmati Baloch tribe was settled in Karachi and they raised an army to defend the port from the British invasion. The Kalmati forces were defeated when the Manora Fort was stormed by the British in 1839 because of the strategic location of Karachi. Although the fort is now buried beneath the naval base, the lighthouse is a visible reminder of the British presence having been built in 1889 to assist vessels approaching Karachi harbor.
Pakistan’s Ministry of Ports and Shippingsigned a memorandum of understanding in 2006 with Dubai World and M/s Limitless + Dubai Islamic Bank for the redevelopment of Manora Island. As part of the development plans, the Karachi Port Trust (KPT) and all military establishments will vacate the island and hand it over to the companies for development. The development will comprise establishing high rise hotels and apartment buildings in the areas.
KPT is planning to link Manoro island with a Harbour Crossing Bridge which will link the West and East Wharfs of KPT. This bridge will reduce the difference between Manora and the areas of Defence and Clifton by almost 30 km.
There are several ethnic groups in Manora Island including Muhajirs, Punjabis, Sindhis, Kashmiris, Seraikis, Pakhtuns, Balochis, Memons, Bohris, Hindus and Christians.
The Manora is predomninantly Muslim with small Hinduand Christian minorities. There are several Mosques and one Hindu temple in Manora. Himalaya Mosque is one of the main mosque and it is located near the Manora Cantonment. The Shri Varun Dev Mandir, temple is devoted to Varuna, the god of the oceans in Hindu mythology is located at Manora.