government college lahore23
After 153 Years of its wonderful history, the Government College, Lahore was raised to the status of a University in 2002. It was renamed as the GC University Lahore. The academic life here has been re-shaped in accordance with its new challenges and we hope to fulfill the expectations that go with a University. The GCU is committed to act as a promoter of quality education for all.This Institution is one of the oldest seats of learning in the Muslim world. As a seat of higher learning GC University blends grand old traditions and modern educational standards to meet the ideals set by persons like Dr. Leitner, philosopher the poet, Dr. Muhammad Iqbal and the Noble Laureate, Dr. Abdus Salam.
We have redesigned our syllabi and courses to prepare the young minds for productive careers. The University offers B.A/B.Sc. (4-year Hon.), M.A, M.Sc. (in some selected disciplines), M.B.A., M.Phil, and PhD programmes in all major disciplines. We also take steps to sensitize our students about the meaning of the University Motto: "Courage to Know." We try to make the students inquisitive, thoughtful and independent in pursuit of knowledge. Special measures are taken through discussions, co-curricular activities, writing of term papers and dissertations to make the learners confident in their understanding of innovative themes and topics. Every student is thus brought into the mainstream of the grand academic culture of the GC University. During their stay, the students are bound to benefit from the academic, intellectual and cultural environment of this celebrated educational institution.  INFORMATION INFORMATION
MESSAGE BY THE VICE CHANCELLOR
Dr. Hassan Amir Shah, SI Vice Chancellor (16-09-2015)
- Welcome to Government College University Lahore, the leading educational institution in the Indo-Pak Subcontinent, where excellence is nurtured, pursued and celebrated since it’s inception in 1864. In its 153rd year of existence this institution is cognisant of the national importance of enrolment in higher education while retaining its legacy by being supportive to social, academic and research community. Our university’s values underpin our vision and mission, and are integral to guiding the implementation of our strategy towards teaching, learning and research. GCU pursues its mission with courage, innovation and pluralism.
- We are committed to excellence in academics, research and knowledge exchange. The staff members of GCU demonstrate collegiality and teamwork which act as catalyst in student’s lifelong learning.
- GCU’s academic and career opportunities are balanced with a campus lifestyle with an outstanding array of sports, cultural and social choices by getting membership of more than 50 societies and clubs. All of these elements i.e. teaching, scholarships, academic support, selection of programmes, co-curricular opportunities make GCU different from other institutions. We endeavour to achieve our goals through our distinctive approach in disseminating knowledge based on curriculum, Inter-disciplinary courses, the student experience, research, linkages with the industry and the community.
- Through this ethos our students have been and are emerging leaders who have always helped in shaping tomorrow. Our Motto “Courage to Know” challenges both students and staff members to realize their potentials, help in identifying strengths and guide to acquire much needed lifelong learning skills for academic and social interaction.
- We aspire to provide learning and teaching experience that harnesses the students to enhance their capabilities and transform their life for the better. Student satisfaction is a huge challenge and of great significance, which assures learner’s level of success. The students are encouraged to develop skills which will help them in gaining meaningful employment, further their education or contribute more effectively to the society.
- Generations of students, staff and alumni have added on to the repertoire of the Ravian flare, and I am confident that these graduates of today and tomorrow will keep on contributing to the glory of their Alma Mater. The exalted image of this esteemed institution will not only benefit the future students, but also the boundless global community which will be the recipient of gains from GCU’s knowledge leadership.  VICE CHANCELLOR
Vision of GC University
Government College University Lahore is a modern, demand-driven, futuristic, quality conscious and affordable public university. The University wishes to build its future through internationally recognized research work, scholarship and learning within a distinctive scholarly environment. The Vision will inspire GCU to strive hard in competing globally for better Pakistan based on Knowledge Economy characterized by high levels of skills, lifelong learning and innovation.
Mission Statement of GC University
Government College University Lahore is committed to create and disseminate knowledge leading to academic and research excellence along with developing individuals, self-actualize for a better tomorrow in consonance with its liberal traditions of pluralism and scholarship.  GC University
History of GCU Building
- Government College Lahore or simply GCU, is synonymous with Lahore. Among the most famous of Lahore colleges, it is among the first educational institutions that were established in the Punjab. Generations of students have passed through its portals and attained eminent positions in all walks of life in Pakistan.
- The Government College Lahore in 1864, in a portion Dhyan Singh's Haveli Although the establishment of a Central College at Lahore was sanctioned in 1856 with the condition that the teachers should be graduates of Oxford, Cambridge, Dublin or Durham, it was not until January 1, 1864 that the college opened its doors in the palace (haveli) of Dhian Singh/Khushal Singh, in Lahore's Walled City.
- In April 1871 the college moved to a large Bungalow near Anarkali. In 1873 its location was changed to another house called Rahim Khans Kothi. It was in 1876 that the college moved into the present building. The construction had started almost in mid 1872 and was completed in 1877. Situated in the heart of the city, the site is surrounded by main business and administrative areas, schools, colleges and Punjab University old Campus. Presently raised to the status of university, Government College University (GCU) site is located at the junction of the Mall and the Lower Mall and occupies a focal point.
- The first principal was the famous Dr. G. W. Leitner whose name is closely attached to the College. In April 1871 the college moved to a large Bungalow near Anarkali. In 1873 its location was changed to another house called Rahim Khan’s Kothi.
- When it was decided to move to more suitable premises, a site on an eminence north of the Soldier's Garden (Gol Bagh) was selected, and a 'picturesque building', with a large central clock tower was constructed. That Gothic was the chosen style for the building is not surprising. Among the first major structures of Lahore, the missionary zeal frequently expressed by the Lawrence brothers (Henry and John Lawrence) no doubt had an impact on the architectural expression of the college.
- Government College Building, 1880The building was designed by W. Purdon, Superintendent Engineer, and constructed under the supervision of Executive Engineer Kannhaiya Lal. It was completed in 1877 at a cost of Rs. 320,000. A couple of years after its completion. Viceroy Lord Lytton presided over the convocation of 'Punjab University College' (1879) held in its convocation hall with its enormous height—"the great hall of the Lahore College, which was tastefully decorated and arranged for the occasion." Lytton papers recorded that the event was witnessed by "a large number of ladies and gentlemen, European and Native."
- From the main road the main college building is seen above the landscaped terracing through the foliage of trees, presenting a picture postcard view. The Lahori brick is combined with sparing use of black Chiniot stone in the first floor columns as well as in the borders lining the openings. Pointed arches on the facade are accented with simple moldings, and the building is topped by a steeply sloping roof. According to Kannahiya Lal, the slate for the roof covering was acquired from Dalhousie Mountain hundreds of miles away.
GCU Main TowerThe centre of the GCU main building is marked with an enormous entrance tower—a most impressive element representing the image of Government College. Placed on a 15' high podium, and accessible from the garden by a wide flight of stairs, the tower rises to a total height of 176'. Divided into four distinct storey, it is terminated in the form of a spire. The battered sides of the octagonal tower carry quaint dormer windows, with its enormous clocks visible from great distances. The classrooms are accessed from a deep verandah which also provides protection from the strong Punjab sun.
The Main Building
The academic campus of any educational institute plays an important part in the upbringing of its students. It imparts a sense of belonging and pride to them. Built during the colonial era, the architectural style, known to be the celestial gothic, best suited the academic building. Government College University (GCU) Lahore is considered to be one of the most majestic and gorgeous buildings in the sub-continent. Reflecting the neo gothic tradition, the building imparts the grandeur and mannerism that adapts the climatic and environmental requirements in the form of its wide verandahs and high ceilings. Further scale and grandeur is added to the building by placing it on the highest level of its contoured site. Sprawling lawns combined with an intricate landscape are the integral parts of GCU's overall perception. Not only did the architect design a majestic building but also complemented this grandeur with the openness of its grand lawn, the legendary "Oval Ground" of the University Campus. Oval Ground is the place where Ravians sit, relax, talk, study, discuss, analyze, ponder, and even muse and meditate. Here they make new contacts and explore new ways to manifest their liking for the unknown. The Oval offers them with opportunities to display the dynamic talents they possess.
The Main Hall
The most prominent part of the building is the Main Hall (now called Dr. Abdus Salam Hall
). It Consists of a central nave and aisles running along the 4 sides. The nave has double height. The 4 aisles are double storeyed and they form a gallery on the upper floor. The main entrance to the hall is through a porch on the West side. Another entrance on the South faces the Oval ground. This is an arched opening with grand and traditionally carved wooden door. After entering through this magical opening, a passage leads into the hail. Inside the hall, where the aisles cross each other at corners, big rooms have been provided. The hail is a wonderful example of composed mannerism that depicts harmony, symmetry and balance. The main conical-type clock tower at the facade is square at the base. The first two storeys are square and a squinch arch is placed to convert the square plan into octagon. The first two storyes are followed by two storeys of octagonal plan with arched openings and triangular projections.
New Postgraduate Block
Next to Bokhari Auditorium is the New Post-Graduate Block. This block was constructed to meet the needs of the increasing number of students. The foundation stone was laid in 1993 and the building was completed in June 1999. This building has 4 floors and includes a basement that houses the postgraduate library.
New Chemistry Block
New Chemistry Block and New Science Block are among the later additions. Both these buildings are situated to the East of the main building. New Chemistry Block is a true extension of GCU's main building. Gothic features and detailing have been incorporated in its exterior. The building rises upto 2 floors only. Buttresses and four centered pointed arches are used to increase the verticality of the building. Detailed brickwork and ornamentation is similar to that of the main building that has always been the original source of inspiration.
New Science Block
The New Science Block is a much earlier addition than the New Chemistry Block and was constructed mainly for utility purpose. Apart from the brick facing the only element taken from the main building is the use of gothic arches in the verandahs.  History of GCU Building
- Science and Technology
- Arts & Social Sciences
- Languages, Islamic & Oriental Learning
- Academic Calendar
- Examination Regulations
- Exams. Date Sheet
- Examinations & Results
GC University Lahore Library came into existence in 1872. A proper library with an office and a reading room was established in 1937 in memory of Mian Fazl-i-Hussain, a renowned educationist. The library building was once again expanded in 1964. In 1999, the Postgraduate Library was established to enhance library activities. Recently another library namely Life Sciences Library was established by merging Botany, Zoology and Institute of Biotechnology departmental libraries. The total area of the all the GCU Libraries is more than 35000 sq. feet.At present, it has a total numbers of 329333 books including precious personal collections. The library receives 236 national and international journals.
- Books Collection
- GCU Theses
- GCU Publications
- Electronic Library A-Z
- Digital Library
- The mental and physical health of a country can be judged from the standard of its sports and sportsmen. As a general rule, it is through sports that one develops Winning Trophies of Government College Lahore, 1914a healthy body, which ultimately leads to a healthy mind. The importance of sports in the life of a nation cannot be over-emphasized. The importance given to sports by the developed countries is no less than education. They have planned systematically for the development of Sports, which has paid the dividends. Like-wise in the GCU, sports are considered an integral part of physical fitness and mental training. These activities have a profound effect on the physical fitness and mental health of the students, which has ultimately enhanced their capabilities and efficiency. GC University leadership has provided full encouragement and a conducive environment to the sports programme right from the beginning. The sports history of GC University can be traced from the 1931-32 session when GC became the overall champion and won the general trophy of the Punjab University for the first time.
- The GC achieved supremacy by winning 12 times the overall general trophy and securing overall runners up positions 4 times between 1931-47. During this period GC produced a number of outstanding sportsmen who not only brought honour and glory to their college but also had the distinction of representing India in the Olympics and various International Sports Events. After Independence, GC kept on its outstanding traditions in the field of sports and maintained its excellence and edge over the rival institutions. GC won the general all round trophy 20 times and remained runner's up for 22 times from 1947-48 till (1988-89).
- GC is one of the finest sports nurseries for producing and grooming sportsmen for National teams, and has been maintaining its tradition of excellence in sports and has produced hundreds of international sportsmen who represented Pakistan with distinction in Olympic Game/Asian Games / SAF Games and other International Sports Events since 1947. After getting the status of University in 2002 the GCU leadership started revamping the sports activities on higher level and re-established the Sports & Physical Education Department. A new post of Director of Sports and Physical Education was created and a Director was selected in July 2004.
- GC University has kept on healthy tradition of excellence in the field of sports and takes pride in maintaining high standard in every field of sports activities. GCU always play for the glory of sports and has the privilege to participate in all games organized by Lahore Board, HEC Sports Competition with distinction.
- GC University provides ample sports and recreational facilities to the students, in such diverse fields as Cricket, Hockey, Tennis, Gymnastics, Basket Ball, Table Tennis, Boxing, Swimming, Rowing, Squash. Athletics meets Gymkhana Sports and Hockey and Cricket matches are colorful and exciting events in the life of the City.
- GC University has also produced some of most outstanding sportsmen and athletics in the country who have represented Pakistan abroad
- The students of the University have been actively participating in the inter-university competitions at the provincial as well as national level. The sports are organized and managed by the Directorate of Sports.  Sports Sports
|Name of Games||Session2003-04||Session2004-05||Session2005-06||Session2006-07||Session2007-08||Session2008-09||Session2009-10||Session2010-11||Session2011-12|
|Athletics||Runner Up||Runner Up||Winner||Runner Up||3rd||Runner Up||Runners Up||Runners Up||2nd|
|Badminton||Winner||Winner||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runners Up||Winner||Winner|
|Basketball||Winner||Participated||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runners Up||Participated|| Runners Up|
|Boxing||Participated||Participated||Not Held||Runner Up||-||Runner Up|| Runners Up||Runner Up|| Participated|
|Cricket||Winner||Winner||Runner Up||Participated||-||Participated||Winner ||3rd|| -|
|Cross Country||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||3rd||-||3rd||3rd||3rd|| 3rd|
|Cycling||-||-||-||-||5th||Participated|| -|| -|| Participated|
|Football||Participated||Runner Up||Participated||Participated||3rd||3rd||Runners Up||Runners Up|| Runners Up|
|Gymnastic||Winner||Runner Up||Not Held||Winner||Winner||Winner|| Not Held|| Winner|| Winner|
|Handball||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runners Up||Runners Up|| Participated|
|Hockey||Participated||Runner Up||Runner Up||Winner||Winner||Runner Up||3rd||Participated|| Participated|
|Rowing||Participated||Participated||Participated||Runner Up||Participated||Runner Up|| Participated|| Runner Up|| Runners Up|
|Squash||Runner Up||Runner Up||Winner||Winner||Winner||Winner||Winner||Runner Up|| Runners Up|
|Swimming||Winner||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runners Up||Winner|| Winner|
|Table Tennis||Winner||Runner Up||Runner Up||Winner||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runners Up|| Runners Up|
|Taekwondo||-||Participated||Participated||Runner Up||4th||4th||Participated||3rd|| 3rd|
|Tennis||Winner||Winner||Winner||Winner||Winner||Winner||Winner||Runners Up|| Runners Up|
|Volleyball||Participated||Participated||Runner Up||Runner Up||Winner||Runner Up||Participated||Participated|| Participated|
|Weightlifting||Participated||Participated||3rd||Runner Up||Runner Up||Runner Up||3rd||Runners Up|| Runners Up|
|Wresting||Participated||Participated||Participated||Runner Up||4th||3rd||Participated||Participated|| Participated|
GCU PERFORMANCE 2003 TO 2012 (HEC) TOP
|Name of Games||Session2003-04||Session2004-05||Session2005-06||Session2006-07||Session2007-08||Session2008-09||Session2009-10||Session2010-11||Session2011-12|
|Athletics||Participated||Participated||Participated||Participated||Runner Up||Participated||Participated||3rd||Runner UP|
|Athletics (Girls)||Participated||-||-||-||Participated||-|| ||-||-|
|Basketball||Runner Up||Participated||Participated||Participated||Participated||-||3rd||Runner up||Participated|
|Bodybuilding||Participated||Participated||4th||Participated||3rd||3rd||Runner Up||Runner Up||3rd|
|Cross Country||-||-||-||-||-||-|| ||-||-|
|Gymnastics||Runner Up||3rd||Runners Up||Not Held||Runners Up||-||Participated||Winner||Runner Up|
|Hockey||-||Winner||Participated||Participated||Runner up||-||Winner||Runner up||Runner Up|
|Rifle Shooting||Participated||Runner Up||3rd||Runner Up||3rd||Winner||Runner up||3rd||Participated|
|Rifle Shooting (Girls)||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||Winner|
|Swimming||Participated||Participated||Participated||Participated||Participated|| ||Participated||Quarter Finalist||Participated|
|Table Tennis (Girls)||-||Participated||Participated||-||Participated||-||Participated||-||-|
|Tug of War||-||-||4th||Participated||Participated|| ||4th||-||Participated|
|Volleyball (Girls)||-||-||-||-||Participated|| ||-||-||-|
|Weightlifting||-||Participated||3rd||Runner up||3rd||5th||Runner Up||4th||5th|
- Government College Lahore was established on January 1st, 1864, with a class consisting of nine students. After 138 years of meritorious evolution and achievement, Government College, Lahore was raised to the status of a University in 2002. It was renamed as GC University Lahore. The academic life here has been re-shaped in accordance with its new challenges and we hope to fulfil the expectations that go with a University. GC University Lahore is committed to act as a promoter of quality education for all. This Institution is one of the oldest seats of learning in the sub-continent. As a seat of higher learning GC University, Lahore blends grand old traditions and modern educational standards to meet the ideals set by persons such as the first principal Dr. G. W. Leitner, the poet philosopher, Dr. Muhammad Iqbal and the Nobel Laureate, Dr. Abdus Salam. Through its majestic corridors have walked men and women who went on to become leading scientists, economists, bureaucrats and politicians. An introduction to GC University Lahore is incomplete without the mention of the Ravian Spirit. This spirit is best encapsulated in the word “quest” – a passionate spirit of inquiry and the ability to question, probe and endeavour. This institution’s motto – Courage to Know – has over the time span of nearly a century and a half promoted the spirit of curiosity, inquiry and independent pursuit of knowledge among generations of students.
- GC University Lahore is a modern, demand-driven, futuristic, quality conscious public university. The University wishes to build its future through internationally recognized research work, scholarships and learning within a distinctive scholarly environment. GC University Lahore has attained a distinguished place among Pakistani Universities due to its strong commitment to teaching and research pursuits. At the Undergraduate level, the University offers BA/BSc 4-Year (Hons.) Degree Programme in 25 disciplines of Science & Technology, Arts and Social Sciences and Languages. At the Postgraduate level, the University offers MBA, EMBA, MPhil/MS and PhD Degree in 24 Disciplines of Science & Technology, Arts & Social Sciences and Languages in a highly research-conducive environment.
- GC University Lahore is now offering affiliation to institutions in the various programmes listed below in the light of its Ordinance 2002.  AFFILIATION AFFILIATION
- Saboor Ahmad Khan
- GC University, Katchery Road
- Lahore 54000
- Tel: +92-42-99213340 UAN:111-000-010 Ext: 207/407
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms Huma Tariq
- (Additional Charge)
- Controller of Examinations
- GC University, Katchery Road
- Lahore 54000
- Tel: +92-42-99213345 UAN:111-000-010 Ext: 221
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Web Feedback
- GC University Libraries
- Katchery Road, Lahore
- UAN:111-000-010 Ext: 246
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Created By: Ali Raza
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.