Snuffing Out the Moon
ProfessorDr. Osama Siddique has served in 2016 as the Inaugural Henry J. Steiner Visiting Professor in Human Rights at Harvard Law School. He is the Executive Director of the Law and Policy Research Network and the Chief Executive of Avante Development Services (ADS). He is also an Associate Fellow at the Institute of Development and Economic Alternatives (IDEAS), Lahore, Pakistan. He has also worked as an Associate Professor of Law & Policy and was the founding head of department (2005-2007) at Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Lahore, Pakistan. Dr. Siddique has extensive experience in research and policy work in the fields of law and public policy.
ParticipantHe is a regular participant in local and international academic conferences and policy dialogues. He has also practiced as a transactional lawyer in New York and as an advocate of the appellate courts in Pakistan. His most recent book publication is ‘Pakistan’s Experience with Formal Law: An Alien Justice (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013). Dr. Siddique is also a member of the Senior Faculty of the Institute for Global Law & Policy (IGLP) at Harvard Law School and has taught in Qatar, Spain and Thailand.
- Harvard Law School – SJD (Doctor of Juridical Science) (2008 - 2011)
- Harvard Law School – LLM (Master of Laws) (1997)
- University of Oxford – BA (Hons) Jurisprudence (1996), MA (1998)
- Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) – MBA (1993)
- Government College, Lahore – BA (1990)
Primary InterestsPakistani Constitutional Law and History, Human Rights, Comparative Constitutional Law, Indian Legal History, Legal Theory, Political Theory, Law and Society, Sociology of Law, Legal Anthropology, Law and Literature, Law and Public Policy, Justice Sector Reform, Law & Development, Access to Justice, Legal Empowerment of the Poor & Vulnerable, Regulatory Laws and Regulation of Higher Education.
General InterestsJustice Sector Reform, Higher Education Reform, Democratic Process Reform, Fundamental Rights and Civil Liberties, Protection of Vulnerable Groups in Society.
- Case Management Reforms at the Lahore High Court and District Courts in Punjab (current)
- Legal Education Regulatory Reforms and Institutional Capacity Building in Punjab (current)
- Prosecutor Trainings Development and Institution Building in Punjab (current)
- Pakistan’s Experience with Formal Law: An Alien Justice
- Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013 (International Hardback Edition)
- New Delhi: Cambridge University Press, 2014 (South Asian Paperback Edition)
- Winner of the Best Non-Fiction Book of the Year Award at Karachi Literature Festival, 2014
The Jurisprudence of Dissolutions
- Presidential Power to Dissolve Assemblies under the Pakistani Constitution and its Discontents
- Karachi: Pakistan Law House, 2008
- Senior Faculty – Harvard Law School’s Institute for Global Law & Policy (IGLP) Workshop, Doha, Qatar (January 2015)
- Docent – Harvard Law School’s Institute for Global Law & Policy (IGLP) Workshop, Doha, Qatar (January 2014)
- Associate Professor – Department of Law & Policy, LUMS, Lahore, Pakistan (March 2005 – March 2014)
- Human Rights Law and Society
- Constitutional Law of Pakistan
- Constitutional History of Pakistan
- Comparative Constitutional Law & Politics
- Advocacy & Negotiations
- Advanced Moot Court Clinic
- The Impact of Colonial Law on India
Best Non-Fiction BookIt was declared the Best Non-Fiction Book of the Year at the Karachi Literature Festival, 2014 and also awarded the American Institute of Pakistan Studies (AIPS) Annual Book Prize 2014-2015.
List of Books
- Snuffing out the Moon
- Pakistan's Experience with Formal Law: An Alien Justice