Lady finger, also known as okra or gumbo in English and bhindi in Hindi, is a green vegetable that is packed with nutrients. High in vitamins, mine
Amazing Benefits Of Okra/Lady's Finger (Bhindi) For Skin, Hair, And Health
Lady Finger Plants
Salted egg with lady finger
Lady Finger salad
Nutrients in Lady finger
- Dietary fiber (9 % )
- Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Copper, Calcium , Potassium , Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc ï¿½and Phosphorus
Benefits of Lady Finger
- Weight Loss
- Heart disease
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Improves digestion
- Conception and pregnancy
- Improves immunity
- Prevention of colon cancer
- Improves eyesight
- Treatment of dandruff and lice
Skin Benefits of Okra
- Dietary fibre for healthy skin Okra comes with a lot of dietary fiber. It is also high in metabolism, and thus keeps the digestion problem away. Proper digestion reflects through a healthy-looking skin.
- Vitamin C for younger skin Vitamin C found in okra actually helps maintain a younger looking skin. It aids in repairing body tissues. This in turn helps keep your skin younger and also makes it look more vibrant.
- Prevents skin pigmentation The nutrients found in okra actually helps to prevent skin pigmentation. It is useful for rejuvenating ïyour skin and repairing damages.
Hair Benefits of Okra
- Bouncy hair If you are tired of your distressed hair, try using Okra to get that bounce back. Boil okra with some water and the transparent mucilage that you get can be used to get your bouncy hair back.
- Hair conditioner The same mucilage can be used as hair conditioner. Wash your hair and squeeze out excess water. Massage the watery mucilage through your hair and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Scalp moisturiser Okra is an excellent moisturizer for your dry and itchy scalp. It leaves your hair feeling soft and isnt harmful like other cosmetics available in the market. It is great for people with unruly, curly and lifeless hair.
- Fights dandruff Lady finger improves the overall scalp condition and fights dandruff. It moisturizes your scalp and keeps dandruff away.
- Shiny hair Lady finger, when used as a hair rinse, gives great shine to your hair. You can give your regular conditioner a miss once in a while and take care of your hair the natural way.
Tips for usage
- Before cooking, thoroughly wash and rinse whole okra well with water.
- After washing, pat it dry completely, using a dry towel.
- You can then store it in a zip-lock bag and leave it overnight in the fridge before using it next day. This will make it less slimy while cooking. This will make okra freeze solid.
- Add okra immediately to your dish after taking it out from the refrigerator. You can use it as whole or chopped.
- Always trim the ends before adding it to your dish.
- Dont allow it to thaw to avoid it from sliming out.
Tips for cooking
- To avoid too much sliming, fry it in oil a little before adding all spices. This reduces the slime to a great extent. Remove okra from the pan and set aside and add it towards the end after you have prepared the rest of the dish.
- Soak it in vinegar or lemon water before using it. Another option is to add lemon or vinegar to the dish itself to cut down the slime.
- Blanch okra for 3-4 minutes to reduce the slime and add to the dish when it is almost cooked.
Lady finger recipesWe all have Lady finger the normal way, i.e, in form of vegetable dish. Here is a recipe that is quick, tasty and different too.
Grilled Lady finger
- Ingredients: Lady finger, grapeseed oil or olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
- Procedure: First prepare the charcoal grill on high heat flame. Trim the ends or the stems of the okra. Now toss it in oil thoroughly so as to cover it with oil. Place okra on charcoal grill and cover with a lid. Let it remain covered till you see grill marks on okra. It should look a little charred on the edges. Turn it thereafter and let it get grilled on the other side as well. Once done, remove it from the grill and sprinkle some salt and lemon juice and enjoy your grilled hot Lady finger.