History of ICL
Ittehad Chemicals Limited (ICL) was established in 1962 under the name of United Chemicals by a private entrepreneur. ICL was commissioned in the year 1964 with an installed capacity of 40 MT/day of Caustic Soda. The initial plant was set up by M/S Oronzio Denora of Italy.
The factory is strategically located on the 19th/20th Kilometer of GT Road and spread over an area of 106 acres. It is approachable from the Lahore-Islamabad Motorway as well as from the main city of Lahore, being less than an hour drive. The place is known as Kala Shah Kaku, an industrial site which has seen the growth of industries over the past decades stretching up and beyond Gujranwala
along the G.T Road. Apparently, Kala Shah Kaku and its neighboring vicinities have both gained tremendous importance and become a hub of commercial, economic and educational activities. As industrialization flourished over the years, a large number of small townships also mushroomed in and around the vicinity due to availability of livelihood to the local residents at their doorsteps.
Under the Economic Reforms Order, United Chemicals was nationalized in 1971 along with other industries of the country and renamed as Ittehad Chemicals. It was initially managed by the Board of Industrial Management and thereafter the Federal Chemicals & Ceramics Corporation Ltd under the Ministry of Production, Govt. of Pakistan.
During the state enterprise period its production capacity was raised by another 90 tons/day during the year 1984-85. The factory was ultimately denationalized in 1995 by the Privatization Commission Govt. of Pakistan. It was acquired by the Chemi Group of Industries, a Karachi based dynamic entrepreneurial group. The new management immediately undertook the task of refurbishing the factory, its infrastructure, and updating its production line to improve efficiency and capacity.
Shortly after the takeover, the plant capacity was soon raised to over 200 tons/day. The environmental friendly “Ion Exchange Membrane Plant” was added to the production line in the year 2003 with a capacity of 163 tons/day. This was shortly enhanced to 240 tons/day with the addition of more IEM Electrolyzers. The new technology is not only environment- friendly but also power-conscious. However, due to its subtle and urbane nature, it requires an uninterrupted power supply for trouble-free operations. Accordingly, the company established its own state-of-the-art Power Plant of 30 MW capacity in the year 2005.
With a rich and illustrious history, ICL is the founding company in Pakistan for the Chlor-alkali industry. It has paved the way for other organizations competing in the local market. With a growing interest for ICL products in the international market, the organization has made the necessary arrangements (and will continue to do so in the future) to cater for the growing demand. Ittehad Chemical company Background
Welcome to Ittehad Chemicals Limited
A huge majority of industries, such as metals, textile, paper, leather, sugar, plastics, rubber, ceramics, glass, soap, fertilizers, beverages, edible oil, pharmaceutical, and a host of others, are all heavily dependent on chemicals. All over the world the chemical industry is a major contributor to the national economy, playing both a direct and indirect role.
Ittehad Chemicals Limited (ICL) is the pioneer and one of the largest manufacturers of industrial chemicals in Pakistan. It produces Caustic Soda, Liquid Chlorine, Hydrochloric Acid, Sodium Hypochlorite, Bleaching Earth (Shaffaf), Chlorinated Paraffin, Sulphuric Acid 80%, Zinc Sulphate, and Barium Sulphate. ICL has strategically diversified its product portfolio in order to cater for the demand of the market. Ittehad Chemical welcome Note
- Create an environment to attract and retain the best talent
- Optimize cost and securitize energy through latest technology•Serving the Customers to their satisfaction levels
- Ensuring that we are environment friendly & zero injury company
- CSR is our forte
An "ITTEHAD" of PAKISTAN'S best TALENT & TECHNOLOGY that serves as a catalyst to deliver SUSTAINABLE CHEMICAL products to its CUSTOMERS thus optimizing returns for INVESTORS Ittehad Chemical Company MIssion/Vision
- Integrity:Integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions.
- Respect:Respect is a positive feeling of esteem or deference for a person and also specific actions and conduct representative of that esteem.
- Teamwork:Teamwork is work done by several associates with each doing a part but all subordinating personal prominence to the efficiency of the whole.
- Accountability:The principles of ethical accountability aim to improve both the internal standard of individual and group conduct as well as external factors, such as sustainable economic and ecologic strategies Ittehad Chemical Company Values
- Caustic Soda (Liquid / Solid / Flakes)
- Sodium Hypochlorite
- Liquid Chlorine
- Hydrochloric Acid
- Barite AP standard
- Zinc Sulphate
- Calcium Chloride
Caustic Soda Liquid Solid Flakes
Caustic Soda, also known as Sodium Hydroxide, forms a strong alkaline solution when dissolved in water. ICL produces Caustic Soda in the form of flakes, solid, liquid (31% and 50% concentration). In solid form, it is hygroscopic and as such readily absorbs water from the air. Hence, it is stored in airtight containers. Caustic Soda
Caustic Soda is used in a wide variety of industrial applications. It is used as a reactant for the manufacturing of other sodium components, which themselves may be intermediate or end- use products, such as Sodium Hypochlorite, having its use as a household Bleach and Disinfectant and Sodium Phenolate, required for making antiseptics and for the manufacturing of Aspirin. It is used in the manufacturing process of Soaps and Surfactants used in soap powders and also in the Textile Industry to remove containments. As a bleach, it is used in the treatment of scoured cloth and to improve luster and dye absorption.
Caustic Soda Liquid (31% and 50% conc.)
Caustic Soda Liquid is manufactured commercially by the electrolysis of brine in electrolytic cells, where 31% membrane grade and 50% Rayon grade Caustic Soda liquid is produced.
Caustic Soda (Solid / Flakes)
It is produced by evaporation of liquid Caustic Soda solution to the anhydrous state, and subsequent conversion to either a Solid or a Flakes form.
|CAUSTIC SODA SPECIFICATIONS
||White Deliquescent fused mass
||White Deliquescent Flakes
| Concentration (NaOH) % Min.
||50 ± 0.2
||97.0 ± 1
||97.0 ± 1
| Sodium Chloride (NaCl) % Max
| Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3) % Max.
| Iron (Fe) ppm Max.
| Nickel (Ni) ppm Max.
|Packing & Transportation
||In M.S. Road Tankers of 10-30 M.T. capacity
||In M.S. Road Tankers of 10-30 M.T. capacity
||In 250 Kg. Net, M.S. 26 SWG Drums
||In 25 Kg Net, Woven Polypropylene Bags (Sleeved inside with low Density Polythene liner)
Sodium Hypochlorite is used for a wide range of applications where its powerful disinfection and oxidation properties are utilized to deliver technical and commercial advantage. It is manufactured by passing gaseous chlorine through a well-cooled solution of dilute Caustic Soda.
|SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE (NaOCl) SPECIFICATIONS
||Greenish Yellow Liquid
|Available Chlorine W/V %
||19.75 ± 0.25
|Alkalinity as NaOH %
||0.8 - 1.2
|Specific Gravity (Beo at 25oC)
||29.0 – 30
|Iron contents ppm Max.
|Stability (Loses Av.C12 per day at:) %
depending upon storage temperature
||0.2 - 0.5
- Transported in M.S. Hard Rubber-lined Road Tankers of 10-30 M.T. capacity
- In PVC/HDPE Carboys and drums
- Bleaching (widely used in paper, carpet washing, and textile industry)
- Formulated disinfectants
- Potable and waste water treatment
- Swimming pool water treatment
- Process and cooling tower treatment
- Odour control
- Chemical intermediates in agriculture, pharmaceutical, printing and metal processing industries
Sodium hypochlorite is considered a strong oxidizer. Products of the oxidation reactions are corrosive. Solutions (more than 40% weight) can burn skin and cause eye damage, particularly when used in concentrated forms. The containers should be kept tightly closed and in a cool ventilated area.
Every time you drink a glass of water, read your newspaper, put on your raincoat, clean your teeth or drive your car, you are using Chlorine in some form. Without Chlorine, Modern life and most of its conveniences would be impossible.
Chlorine is the single material on which production of other chemicals mostly depends. It is used in 60% of all Commercial Chemistry, 85% of all Pharmaceutical Chemistry and 95% of all yield enhancing or agrochemical chemistry.
Products manufactured with chlorine as a raw material include Water Treatment Chemicals, Plastic, Detergents, Pharmaceuticals, Disinfectants and Agricultural Chemicals. Chlorine is also used directly in water to make it safe for drinking by chlorination.
Chlorine is obtained by passing an electric current through a solution of brine to produce Caustic Soda, Chlorine and Hydrogen.
|LIQUID CHLORINE (Cl2) SPECIFICATIONS
|Purity as Chlorine (Cl2) % Min.
| Sulphate (SO4)
In specially designed steel cylinders of 100 Kg and 900 Kg capacity, respectively.
- Water disinfection and treatment
- Paper and board
- Cooling towers
- Production of plastic, such as PVC
- Pharmaceuticals formulation
- Agro-Chemical production (insecticides, herbicides & fungicides)
- Production of chlorinated solvent, hydrocarbons and derivatives .
Need to wash thoroughly after handling. Avoid breathing the vapors. Vacate poorly ventilated areas as soon as possible. Do not return until the strong odors have dissipated. Open the cylinders with care and do not intake internally.
Hydrochloric acid is second only to Sulphuric Acid in its numerous and diverse uses in manufacturing industry and synthetic chemistry.
Hydrochloric acid is a solution of the Gas Hydrogen Chloride (HCL) in water. The Hydrogen Chloride Gas is derived from the burning of Chlorine and Hydrogen.
|HYDROCHLORIC ACID SPECIFICATIONS
| Physical Appearance
||Slight yellow clear liquid
| Concentration %
||33.0 – 34.5
|Density at 20oC g/ml
||1.164 – 1.172
| Iron (Fe) ppm Max.
| Free Chlorine ppm
||20 – 50
| Arsenic (As)
| Lead (Pb)
- M.S. Rubber lined/Fiberglass Road Tankers of 10-70 M.T. capacity
- PVC/HDPE Carboys and drums
- Steel and galvanizing industry
- Metal pickling
- Synthetic rubber
- Metal Chlorides manufacturing
Advised to store in a cool, dry, well ventilated storage area with acid resistant floor and good drainage. In order to avoid physical damage, it should be kept clear of direct sunlight, exposure to heat, water, and other incompatible materials. Hydrochloric Acid
Board Of Directors
The board acknowledges its responsibility for the overall strategy, management, identification and solutions for risks and challenges, sustained business prosperity and safeguarding the rights of shareholders. It endorses the best practices of the Code of Corporate Governance as an effective tool in discharging these duties in addition to enhancing the timelines, accuracy, comprehensiveness and transparency of financial and non-financial information through accountability and integrity. ICL Board of Directors
The scope and purpose of the management committee is to assess the current standing of the organization and provide direction for future endeavors. This includes investment proposition in the light of current market dynamics and prevailing competition.
- Mr. Usman Ghani Khatri
- Mr. Ghulam Mustafa Khatri
- Mr. Abdul Sattar Khatri
- Mr. Javed Iqbal.ICL Management Committee
Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate is free flowing white powdery material, which is highly soluble in water.
|Zinc Sulphate (monohydrate) Specifications
||Off-white granular powder
|Zinc contents% Min
10 kg Net, woven Polypropylene bags (sleeved inside with HDPE liner) containing 2 x 5 kg polythene bags.
- Agriculture: added to fertilizers as trace nutrient and animal feed to correct dietary deficiencies.
- Chemical: as a source of Zinc for the manufacturing of other Zinc chemicals.
- Textile: Viscose Rayon.
Wear appropriate protective clothing and chemical resistant gloves as needed to prevent skin contact. Clean contaminated clothing and protective equipment before reuse. Wash thoroughly after handling material. Store containers in well ventilated areas preferably with an exhaust duct.
- Synonyms:Calcium Chloride Anhydrous
- Molecular Weight:110.98
- Chemicals Formula: CaCl2
- Loose Bulk Density (kg/liter): 0.673 - 0.737
- Tapped Bulk Density(kg/liter): 0.817 - 0.881
- Solubility : Freely soluble in water (exothermic)
A completely automatic unit packing system together with palletizing facility is available at the plant, house separately from the main production activity. The package product is available in specially designed laminated woven polypropylene bags of 25 kg and 1000 kg (Jumbo polypropylene with inner polyethylene liner) bags each, capable of withstanding rigors of handling in storage and safe transportation, by land and sea.
- This multipurpose chemical Calcium Chloride sis extensively employed in the following areas:
- Crude Oil and Gas sector as fluid additive in drilling operation
- Hydrocarbon dehydration,
- Ice melting as quick deicing agent
- Refrigerant liquor
- Concrete acceleration
- Hardener in paper corrugated board industry
- Brine for food processing
- Purification/ Treatment of drinking water produced through deionization and sea brine reverse osmosis process and a host of other diversified applications including agriculture.
- The Entire product is manufactured in accordance with international specifications required for Food Grade Material. As such our Calcium Chloride Prills can be particularly / safely utilized by national/multinational organizations engaged in preparation and bottling Drinking Water in addition to any other food grade application. Calcium Chloride
Must be kept in a dry and well ventilated covered place. Long shelf life is expected if stored in dry place.
Board of Directors of the company has always strived to adopt best practices towards managing the company and providing policy guidelines. The promulgation of Code of Corporate Governance through amendments in the Listing Regulations of Stock Exchanges has further defined the responsibilities of directors in this regard. Corporate Governance strengthens investors’ trust and ensures a long-term partnership that helps in fulfilling the quest for achieving significant value addition, growth, and profits. The company has made significant progress towards implementation of principles contained in the Code and status of compliance is set out in the compliance statement. The Board of Directors has taken adequate measures for the implementation of the regulations of the Code of Corporate Governance issued by the Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan.
We have summarized below our statement on corporate and financial reporting framework...
The financial statements prepared by the management of the company presents fairly its state of affairs, the result of its operations, cash flows, and changes in equity.
Proper Books of Account of the company have been maintained.
Appropriate accounting policies have been consistently applied in preparation of these financial statements and accounting estimates are based on reasonable and prudent judgment.
International Accounting Standards, as applicable in Pakistan, have been followed in preparation of financial statements and any departure there from has been adequately disclosed.
The system of internal control is sound in design and has been effectively implemented and monitored.
There are no significant doubts upon the company’s ability to continue as a progressive concern.
There has been no material departure from the best practices of corporate governance, as detailed in the listing regulations. ICL Corporate Governace
- Habib Metropolitan Bank Limited
- MCB Bank Limited
- Saudi-Pak Industrial & Agricultural Investment Co. (Pvt.) Limited
- Pak-Libya Holding Co. (Pvt.) Limited
- Pak-Kuwait Investment Co. (Pvt.) Limited
- Bank of Punjab
- Allied Bank Limited
- Faysal Bank Limited
- United Bank Limited
- KASB Bank Limited
- My Bank Limited
- Standard Chartered Bank Limited
- City Bank ICL Investor Relation
Health and Safety
We, at ICL, realize that our natural resources are limited and while we have to perform our business as a manufacturing concern, we also have a duty and responsibility to protect and preserve the nature and environment. The company provides and maintains, so far has practicable equipment, systems and working conditions are concerned, a safe and risk free environment to all its employees, visitors, contractors, and the local public. ICL Healthy And Safety
Research And Development
At ICL, we firmly believe that applied R&D is the only way forward towards achieving optimization, conservation and economizing of our existing process conditions. It also opens door in new vistas for gaining diversity in our production line based on utilization of process waste as well as surplus streams.
R&D activity has always been a hallmark of ICL in all three phases of its existence namely
- Post commissioning (i.e.) the initial private era (1964-1971)
- The state enterprise era (1971-1995)
- The post privatization era (1995-todate) ICL Research & Development
Registered OfficeHead Office
- Address: 39 Empress Road, Lahor Pakistan
- Address:G.T.Road, Kala Shah Kaku District: Sheikhupura. Pakistan
- Tel: +92 42 3795 0222-25
- Fax: +92 42 3795 0206
- Grams: UNICAUSTIC, Lahore
- Telex: 47851 LPG PK
- Address:Town House No. 43-H/II, 43rd Street, Block-6, P.E.C.H.S. Karachi
- Tel: +92 21 34527314-15
- Fax: +92 21 34527321
- Address:Shop No.76-77, Hamid Commercial Centre, Mumtazabad, Vehari Road. Multan Contact Detail
- Tel: +92 61 4481608 , +92 61 4045236
- Address:3rd Floor, Habib Bank Building, Circular Road, Faisalabad
- Tel: +92 41 2643617 , +92 41 2013131
- Address: Office No.4,3rd Floor,Yasin Plaza, Jinnah Avenue, Blue Area ,Islamabad
- Mob: +92 300 8115375, +92 333 5433966