University of Karachi Overview
The University of Karachi is a government research university situated in Karachi, Sindh. It is one of the biggest universities in Pakistan. It consists of eight faculties and all colleges in Karachi are affiliated with these faculties.
Nineteen research institutions and fifty-three departments are working under these faculties. All faculties offer research programs that lead to M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees. It is spread over an area of twelve hundred acres and forty-one thousand students are studying here.
University of Karachi History
The University of Karachi was established by parliament in 1951 as a Federal University. It covers an area of 1200 acres. However, its status was changed to ‘University of Sindh Province’ by the parliament act 1962. Karachi University act was approved on 23rd October 1950 and after being amended in 1951 it was enforced and Professor A.B.A Haleem was named as its 1st Vice-Chancellor.
The University continued to serve as an examination institute for the associated colleges for the first two years. It started research and teaching activities at art and science faculties in the year 1953.
Shifted to New Campus
Initially, the University was based in small-sized buildings next to the Civil Hospital. But, the fast expansion highlighted the issue of less space. Furthermore, research and higher education were not possible in a polluted and congested atmosphere.
As a result, 1279-acre land on Country Club Road (today University Road) was purchased, and on 18th January 1960, the university was moved to its new campus.
University of Karachi Rankings
The university was ranked among the world’s top six-hundred universities in 2008 by THE-QS World University Rankings. The university was listed among the world’s top 500 universities in 2009, and in 2016 it was ranked among the best two-hundred and fifty in Asia and placed 701st worldwide. It was placed 251st in Asia and 801st worldwide in 2019.
University of Karachi Faculties & Departments
1- Faculty of Education
The faculty of Education was founded in 1970. It consists of three departments, the Department of Teacher Education, the Department of Special Education, and the Department of Education.
2- Faculty of Islamic Studies
Department of Usool-ud-Din and the Department of Islamic Learning are part of this faculty.
3- Faculty of Social Sciences
This faculty consists of twenty departments including the Department of Urdu, Criminology, Visual Studies, Sociology, Social Work, Sindhi, Psychology, Political Science, Philosophy, Persian, Mass Communication, Library and Information Science, Islamic History, International Relations, History, English, Economics, Bengali, and Arabic.
4- Faculty of Pharmacy
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutics, and Pharmacology is part of the Faculty of Pharmacy.
5- Faculty of Science
This faculty is comprised of twenty departments including the Department of Zoology, Statistics, Physiology, Physics, Petroleum technology, Microbiology, Mathematics, Health Physical Education and Sports Sciences, Geology, Geography, Genetics, Food Science and Technology. Moreover the Department of Computer Science, Chemistry, Botany, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Applied Physics, Applied Chemistry, Chemical Technology, and Agriculture & Agribusiness Management.
6- Faculty of Medicine
Seven medical and dentistry colleges are associated with the University. Karachi Medical & Dental College is the only college in the public sector. The colleges offering both BDS and MBBS programs are Liaquat College of Medicine and Dentistry, Jinnah Medical Dental College, and Karachi Medical and Dental College.
Fatima Jinnah Dental College and Altamash Institute of Dental Medicine are offering BDS programs only, whereas Sir Syed College of Medicine and Liaquat National Medical College is offering MBBS programs only. This college admits students in accordance with PMDC guidelines.
7- Faculty of Law
This faculty consists of the School of Law and retired Justice Hassan Feroze is currently serving as its Dean.
8- Faculty of Management Sciences
The faculty consists of Karachi University Business School, Department of Commerce, and Department of Public Administration.
9- Faculty of Engineering
Department of Chemical Engineering is part of this faculty.
The Karachi University Library
The ‘Dr. Mahmud Hussain Library’ at the University of Karachi has above 400,000 books. These books date back to the 1600s. The book collection of Pakistan’s founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah was stored here.
This library was established and built-in 1952. The university is frequently visited by academics from nineteen research institutions as well as teachers from more than a hundred affiliated colleges.
Renaming of Library
On 12th April 1976, the 1st death anniversary of Professor Dr. Mahmud Hussain, the Karachi University Syndicate unanimously decided to rename the library the ‘Dr. Mahmud Hussain Library.’ From 1971 to 1975, Mahmud Hussain held the position of Vice-Chancellor at the university, and the library bears his name in honor of the role he played in advancing social science education in Pakistan.
University of Karachi Programs
The following programs are offered at the University of Karachi:
- BS (Hons.)
- BA (Hons.)
Diploma & Certificate Courses
Some of the diploma and certificate courses offered by the University of Karachi are:
- Certificate in Arabic
- Certificate in Persian
- Certificate in Microbiology
- Certificate in German
- Certificate in Islamic Banking
- Certificate in English
- Certificate in Human Behavior
- Certificate in Quran and Tafseer
- Certificate in Mass Communication
- Certificate in Social Work
- Certificate in Women Studies
- Certificate in Urdu
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Education
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Criminology
- Post-Graduate Diploma in HR Management
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Investigative Psychology
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Environmental Studies
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Counseling
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
Some institutes affiliated with the University of Karachi are:
Government Sector Institutes
- Abdullah Government College for Women, Karachi
- Allama Iqbal Government College, Karachi
- Government College for Commerce and Economics, Karachi
- Government Degree Science College, Karachi
- Government Degree Girls Commerce College, Karachi
- Government Degree College for Women, Karachi
- Government Islamia College for Women, Karachi
- Government Jinnah College, Karachi
- Government Jamia Millia College, Karachi
- Government Khurshid Girls College, Karachi
- Government Quaid-e-Millat College, Karachi
- Government S.M. Science College, Karachi
- Government Superior College, Karachi
- Government S.M. Arts and Commerce College, Karachi
- Government College for Boys, Karachi
- School of Ordinance, Karachi
- Army Public Degree College, Karachi
- School of Army Air Defense, Karachi
- Government Islamia Law College, Karachi
- Government S.M. Law College, Karachi
- Elementary College of Education, Karachi
- Government College of Education, Karachi
- Government Elementary College, Karachi
- Government Elementary College of Education, Karachi
Medical and Dental Colleges
- College of Occupational Therapy, Karachi
- Department of Neurology, Karachi
- Abasi Shaheed Hospital, Cardiology Department, Karachi
- Karachi Medical and Dental College, Karachi
- College of Physiotherapy, Karachi
Private Sector Institutes
- Awaz Institute of Medical Sciences, Karachi
- Al-Hamd College of Professional Education, Karachi
- ABSA College for the Deaf, Karachi
- Bahria Foundation College, Karachi
- Askari Degree College, Karachi
- Fatimiyah College, Karachi
- Dewa Academy, Karachi
- Ideal Degree College, Karachi
- Iqra Huffaz Degree College, Karachi
- SSAT Degree College, Karachi
University of Karachi Admissions
Students can acquire admission information including eligibility criteria, last date of admission, and processing fee from Karachi University official website. Admissions to MPhil, MS, LLM, MS, MD, and Ph.D. degree programs are awarded on the basis of tests and interviews.
Candidates are required to submit an application form through the admission portal. The admission form processing fee for these programs is as follows:
- MD/MS-Rupees 10,000
- MS-Rupees 5000
- LLM- Rupees 10,000
- Phil. & Ph.D.- Rupees 5000
University of Karachi Fee Structure
The fee structure depends upon degree level, year of admission, merit or self-finance basis, and morning or evening programs. However, a general fee structure for various degree programs is as follows:
- BS-54,000 Rupees/year
- S (Hons.)-61,200 Rupees/year
- BA (Hons.)-45,600 Rupees/year
- LLB-73,200 Rupees/year
- Ed.-20,400 Rupees/year
- Com-27,200 Rupees/year
- MA-20,400 Rupees/year
- Sc.-27,600 Rupees/year
- MBA-53, 400 Rupees/year
- Phil.-53, 400 Rupees/year
- D.-60,600 Rupees/year
Terrorism Outside the University of Karachi
On 26th April 2022, a suicide bombing outside the Confucius Institute situated within the University of Karachi killed four people—three of them were Chinese nationals. And also four people were injured in this incident.
University of Karachi Address
Main University Road, Karachi, Sindh, 75270
University of Karachi Contact Number