Mianwali is an important city for its people politics and the rich minerals, Mianwali has an airport, a Nuclear Power Plant, famous Chasma Barrage, Chashma Hydel Power Plant and also an airforce base. Historically in November 1901 during the English times, North West Frontier Province was carved out of Punjab. The towns of Mianwali, Isa Khel, Kalabagh, and Kundian were separated from Bannu District presently in NWFP and hence a new district was created with its headquarter in Mianwali city and placed in Punjab. Mianwali is famous for its brave and strong willed people that constitute a greater part in Pakistan’s Army. The Niazis, a Pakhtun Punjabi mixed tribe currently control the politics and other issues of governance of the area. 80% of the population is Pakhtun of Afghan origin. Mostly the people are bilingual i.e. speaking Seraiki and Pashto, The population of Mianwali district as whole is 1,056,620 of which 20.39% are urban aread as per estimates in 1998.
|In Urdu :||مِيانوالى|
|City Council:||Government of Punjab|
|Type:||Capital city of Mianwali District|
|Local Language Name:||Punjabi (74% of the population), Saraiki (12%), Pashto (10%) and Urdu (3.5%).|
|Coordinates :||32.585411°N 71.543617°E|
|Elevation:||210 m (690 ft)|
|Government Type:||Government Of Punjab|
|District Coordination Officer:||Talat Mahmood Gondal|
|Total Area:||5,840 km2 (2,250 sq mi)|
|Total Population:||85,000 (1998)|
|Time zone:||PST (UTC+5)|
|Vehicle registration:||Three letters beginning with M and random four numbers|
Allah Blessing Mianwali since 1901 is a District in the north-west of Punjab, Pakistan. It borders Lakki Marwat district in the west, Kohat and Kark districts in the North west and D.I Khan in the southwest. Attok lies in the north, Chakwal in the north east, Khushab in the east and Bhakkar in the south. In November 1901, the NWFP was carved out of Punjab and present day towns of Mianwali, Isa Khel, Kalabagh, and Kundian were separated from Bannu District (NWFP) and hence a new district was made with the headquarters in Mianwali city and placed in Punjab.
The old name of the area is Thal meaning Desert, however, without wells would be a desert, and the probability is that in early historic times nearly the whole of it was a barren waste. There is no record of any plundering expedition on the Thal side by Alexander the Great’s in 325BC. when he passed down the Jhelum to its junction with the Indus River, though he lightly undertook such an expedition across the waterless Bar to the Ravi. This shows that the then Thal was a poorer country than it is now.Of the early history of the district nothing can be stated with any certainty, beyond the fact that its inhabitants were Hindus, and that before the Christian era the country formed an integral portion of the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom of Kabul and the Punjab.When we view this district in the history it seems a bit uneventful. Traditionally all major rulers of South Asia governed this area on their turn. Mughal emperor Babur mentions Essa Khail while he was on his mission of conquering Pakhtuns and the rest of the Punjab somewhere in 1520s (ref. Baburnama). Then came the Sikhs, that era was famous for lawlessness, and barbarism, they ruled until the annexation of Punjab in 1849 by the British. The British made administrative divisions, and the present towns of Mianwali and Isa Khel were made tehsil headquarters in the district Bannu of the Dera Ismail Khan Division of Punjab.
In November 1901
In November 1901, North West Frontier Province was carved out of Punjab and towns of Mianwali, Isa Khel, Kalabagh, and Kundian were separated from Bannu District (NWFP)and hence a new district was made with the headquarters in Mianwali city and placed in Punjab. The district became a part of Rawalpindi Division. There were four tehsils namely Mianwali, Isa Khel, Bhakkar, and Layyah. Layyah was transferred to Muzaffargarh District in 1909. The district became a part of Sargodha Division in 1961. Bhakkar tehsil was carved out of Mianwali district and was made a separate district inside Sargodha division in 1982.Before the British rule, the area formed an integral portion of the Graeco-Bactrian Empire of Kabul and the Punjab Dera Ismail Khan Division of Punjab province. The population of Mianwali, according to the 1901 census of India, was 3,591.During British rule, the Indian empire was subdivided into provinces, divisions and districts; afterward, the independence of Pakistan divisions remained the third tier of government until 2000. The British had made the town of Mianwali as tehsil headquarters of Bannu District then part of
Mianwali used to be the part of Bannu district but on November the 9th,1901 a new district was made with headquarters at Mianwali city.Deputy commissioner used to be the head of the district.The first deputy commissioner was Captain A.J.OBrainThe first district judge was Sardar Balwant Singh.It is worth mentioning that Capt.O’Brian served Mianwali not once but thrice.He was again given the charge of D.C.Mianwali in 1906 and then in 1914. This time he was promoted to the rank of Major.The system continued even after the creation of Pakistan as a sovereign nation.It was not until year 2000 when the new local government system was introduced by the President of Pakistan Perves Musharaf.Three basic changes were made Divisions which used to be third tier of the government were abolished and more autonomy was given to the districts under the motive of devolution of power With this new status of the districts Nazims were to become the administrators of the district with more authoritative powers.The post of D.C. was abolished with the aim to put an end to the bureaucratic rule however the bureaucracy was offered an olive branch by creating a new post of District Co-ordinating Officer.However the Nazim remains the main elected representative and administrator while the D.C.Os serve as representatives of the government And now nazim are make their term complete and Govt of Punjab hold this system and Authorized DCO to get administration control till next new elections.
The majority of the population is of Hindko origin similar to the people of Attock.Niazi Tribe is The Most Famouse Tribe of this District. Niazi Tribe is Mostly Living in The Mianwali City, Shahbaz Khel, Mosa Khel, Mochh,Utra Kalaan, Sawans. The Tribes who known as Jats are living in the Kacha and Thal speak a Hindko Seraiki, lived in all parts of the district but mostly in Waan Bacharaan, Kundian, Ding Khola, Khanqah Sirrajia, Saeed Abad, Bakharra/Kacha Kalo, Kacha paar,khita-e-Atlas, Kacha Gujrat, Kacha Shahnawaz Wala, Phaati, Hurnoli, Alluwali, Duaba, Jaal, Piplan, Wichveen Bala, Moosa Khel, Shadia and many others villages which are parts of the district. There are small minority of Pashtuns and Punajbis. Mostly people speak a unique dialect of Seraiki which borrows many words from Hindko and Pashto. However the Khattak tribes living in the suburbs of Isakhel, Chapri, Bhangi Khel, Sultan Khel, Makarwal and Bani Afghan are bilingual, Pashto being their primary language but can fairly communicate in Seraiki as well. Awans living in the Salt range of Mianwali speak a dialect of Potohari which is called “Uttraadi”(pertaining to the highlanders).According to the 1998 census of Pakistan the district had a population of 1,056,620 of which 20.39%2 of which 85,000 inhabit the district capital.
- Hazrat Khawaja Khan Muhammad Sb.(R.A.)
- Amir Mohammad Khan
- Imran Khan Niazi
- Misbah-ul-Haq (Cricketer)
- Maulana Kausar Niazi
- Amir Abdullah Khan Rokhri
- Abdul Sattar Khan Niazi
- Attaullah Khan Esakhelvi
- Sher Afgan Niazi
- Lt. General Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi
- Humair Hayat Khan Rokhri
- Jagan Nath Azad
Ruins at Mari
At Mari in the Mianwali Tahsil there is a picturesque Hindu ruin, crowning the gypsum hill, locally called Maniot (from Manikot, meaning ‘ fort of jewels’), on which ” the Kalabagh diamonds ” are found. The ruins themselves must once have been extensive. It appears that the very top of the hill was built over with a large palace or fort. The massive walls belonging to one of the rooms, which still stands out of the debris in an almost tottering condition, and the ornamental carving thereon, testify to the magnitude of the building and the skill employed in its construction. Lower down the eastern slope, there are two small temple shaped buildings of the same style and material, similar to those found at the two Kafir Kots .These buildings were either temples or out-offices serving as sentinel’s posts. The local account of these ruins is that the structures were erected by the Pandavas while they were in exile. If there is any truth in this, they should date from the Mahabharat time. There is no evidence, however, justifying the assignment of so old an origin to them. Some fakir is known to have taken up his abode on this hill at a more recent date. At his death, he was cremated there, and his remains deposited in one of the temple-shaped buildings, and probably the remains of one of his disciples were interred in the other.These temples are now revered by the Hindus as the samadh of that fakir, who is known as Naga Arjan or Naga Uddhar. There are no traces of massive fortifications here like those at Kafir Kot Til Raja, but some people still living have seen remains of arrangements for lifting water out of the river. Old coins have been found among the ruins from time to time. The silver coins found are said to be about the size of a four-anna piece with the impression of a horse on one side and that of a bullock on the other.
Remains of Rokhri
Some time ago encroachments of the Indus on the Mianwali plain laid bare, and then engulfed, masses of stones at a depth of some 10 or 15 feet below the level surface of the high bank.In 1868 the river retired, before it had quite washed away the remains it had exposed, and there were found at Rokhri a number of heads apparently cast in some kind of plaster and one mutilated figure of the trunk of a human body made in similar material, also a quantity of copper coins, fragments of pottery, ivory, etc. The ruins discovered consisted of portions of two circular walls, composed of blocks of stone, and large well-shapen burnt bricks, over which was a layer of white plaster, many fragments of which were found profusely ornamented with thin gold scroll work. The statues which have clear-cut and well-shapen features, suggest Greek rather than Hindu art. Other finds of similar nature have also been made subsequently in this neighbourhood, especially in the course of excavation of small wells for the manufacture of saltpetre. These finds include old coins, bricks, remains of masonry, large earthen vessels, and clay pipes used as aqueducts.The indications point to the previous existence at this spot of a prosperous town.