Syed Khurshid Ahmed Shah born 20 April 1952) is a Pakistani politician and lawyer who currently serving as the Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly of Pakistan. A leader of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), Shah born in Sukkur and was educated at the Government Islamia Science College Sukkur.
|Name:||Syed Khursheed Ahmed Shah|
|In Urdu:||سید خورشید احمد شاہ|
|Residence:||Manzil Gah Road Sukkur 27-Minister’s Enclave, Islamabad.|
|Education:||MA, LLB Government Islamia Science College Sukkur|
|Date:||20 April 1952|
|Serve As:||Leader of opposition,Federal Minister for Religious Affairs|
|Proceeded by:||Nisar Ali Khan|
|Time Period :||7 June 2013|
|Old Political Affiliations:||PPP|
|Member of the National Assembly|
|Preceded by:||Hamid Saeed Kazmi|
|Assumed office:||December 2010 – 2013|
|Ministry :||Federal Minister for Religious Affairs|
|Role:||Federal Minister for Religious Affairs,Leader Of Opposition|
|Dates:||December 2010 – 2013 7 June 2013 currently|
|Prime Minister:||Nawaz Sharif(currently),Yousaf Raza Gillani|
|Preceded By:||Hamid Saeed Kazmi,Nisar Ali Khan (Currently)|
|Succeeded By:||Sardar Muhammad Yousuf|
Table of Contents
Biography Education Steps
He was basically a landlord before appointed for the post in Parliament. A famous lawyer and a businessman by the profession, he is a married man and has 2 sons and 3 daughters.
Syed Khursheed Ahmed Shah began his political career as the member of the Provincial Assembly of Sindh in 1988 and had been a member of the provincial cabinet, in various positions. He has been inducted into federal cabinet thrice between 1993 to 2013. From 2012 to 2013, he also served as the parliamentarian leader of PPP in the National Assembly.
Syed Khurshid Ahmed Shah is politically linked with the famous party of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP). He has been chosen as the proposed Member of National Assembly (Pakistan) for his 4th term. He is the present and incumbent Leader of the Opposition of PPP (Pakistan Peoples Party) Parliamentarians. Syed Khurshid Ahmed Shah has been initially appointed as a Member of National Assembly for the terms of the years 1990, 1993, 2002 and 2007 He was also appointed as an MPA of the province Sindh Assembly for the term of the year 1988. Syed Khurshid Ahmed Shah is also blamed by the political figure Chaudhary Nisar that he has taken the intended kick backs from the government of Pakistan.
- President Student Union, MAS Arts College, Sukkhur, Sindh 1971
- President Student Union, Islamia Post Graduate College, Sukkhur, Sindh 1975
- President Student Union, MAS Law College, Sukkhur, Sindh 1977
- Counselor / Leader of Opposition, Municipal Corporation, Sukkhur, Sindh 1979
- Counselor / Leader of Opposition, Municipal Corporation, Sukkhur, Sindh 1987
National politics Till 2008
- Member Provincial Assembly of Sindh (PPP), 1988
- Minister for Transport, Information, Education, Sport, Finance and Planning & Development, Government of Sindh 1988
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party 1990
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party 1993
- Federal Minister for Education and Religious Affairs 1993
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Deputy Opposition Leader 1997
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party 2002
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party, 2008
- Federal Minister for Labour & Manpower 2008
Political career From 2008-2013
Shah enjoys an influential position in the party and was its chief in the 2008-2013 National Assembly. He is considered a trouble-shooter as far as relations with other parties are concerned, mainly on account of his good connections with all political parties.
During the 2008-2013 NA, he also headed the parliamentary committee on the appointment of the chief election commissioner. He was also among the candidates for the position of prime minister after the Supreme Court disqualified Yousuf Raza Gilani. Moreover, Shah was a member of the bipartisan panel which was tasked with forging a consensus on a name for caretaker prime minister prior to the 2013 general election. The panel was unsuccessful in accomplishing the task and the caretaker premier name was finalised by the Election Commission of Pakistan.
- Shah was re-elected as the member of the National Assembly for the sixth time in Pakistani general election, 2013 from second Sukkur constituency.
- Shah wa a potential candidate to become Prime Minister of Pakistan after Yousaf Raza Gillani was disqualified to hold the office. In June 2013, Shah was appointed as the Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly by PPP.
- Shah is also chairman of the Public Accounts Committee in National Assembly.
- Shah is said to have good relations with the leaders of other political parties in Pakistan.