- Established in 1882 at Lahore, the University of the Punjab is the largest and the oldest seat of higher learning in Pakistan. It was the first to be established in the sub-continent in Muslim majority area.
- Located in the historical and culturally alive city of Lahore, this University has played a leading role in higher education in the country. The University strives to provide a conducive environment for the pursuit of the academic activities. On account of its quality degrees, pleasant environment and low tuition fees the University remains the institution of first choice for admission seeking students.
- Allama Iqbal Campus, named after the great South Asian thinker and mystic poet, with Islamic architectural design is in the middle of the bustling city of Lahore.
- Quaid-i-Azam Campus, after the name of the father of the Nation, is located 12 kilometers to the South of Allama Iqbal Campus. Spread over an area of 1800 acres of lush green landscape, this campus is the centre of academic and administrative activities of the University. A canal dividing the academic blocks from the student lodgings and adds to the beauty of the campus.
- The University has also a summer campus at Khanaspur, located at a height of about 7,000 ft. in the Himalayan range near Ayubia. This Campus, in addition to providing research facilities, is also used as a recreational centre for the faculty and the students.
- The University has also started Sub-Campuses at Gujranwala and Jhelum, with four disciplines i.e. Business Administration, Commerce, Law and Information Technology. Few more disciplines will be added in near future.
- The University comprises of 5 Campuses, 13 Faculties, 10 Constituent Colleges, over 73 Departments, Centres, Institutes, and 614 affiliated colleges. It has over 818 permanent faculty members involved in teaching/research and over 36,000 on campus students.
Chancellors MessageThe University of the Punjab enjoys a respectable position as a seat of learning amongst the reputed universities of the world on account of its rich cultural heritage and accessible opportunities being provided to a multitude of our youth for attaining quality education at an affordable cost. It is indeed a matter of great satisfaction for me to note that significant improvement has been made in the sphere of imparting higher education at the University. Innovative research in various new disciplines and new scientific courses has recently been introduced which will greatly help to cultivate an atmosphere essential for acquiring a high academic standard. It is commendable that the University of the Punjab has created a modern infrastructure to make it possible for students to update their knowledge in various scientific disciplines since modern technology has become an essential vehicle of rapid progress. At the same time, the University has been quite successful in maintaining a balance between modern trends in education and its old traditions. As Chancellor, I am confident that efforts to excel in the field of higher education and the inculcation of moral values in the students at the University Campus will continue in future with a greater zeal.
Vice Chancellors MessageMy mission is to raise the productivity of our graduates through quality education and practical knowledge to contribute in a significant way to the national economy.
CampusThe activities of the University are divided over the Allama Iqbal Campus (Old Campus) located in the middle of the busy city center, and the Quaid-e-Azam Campus (New Campus) that is located about twelve kilometers to the south. Whereas the Allama Iqbal Campus boasts of buildings of great architectural significance, the Quaid-e-Azam Campus is spread over an area of 1,800 acres of lush green tract. Although with the construction of new blocks at the Quaid-e-Azam Campus the academic departments and administrative offices have gradually shifted here, the Allama Iqbal Campus has retained its importance for the various functions of the University.
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
- Faculty of Behavioral and Social Sciences.
- Faculty of Commerce.
- Faculty of Economics and Management Sciences.
- Faculty of Education.
- Faculty of Engineering & Technology.
- Faculty of Islamic Studies.
Quaid-i-Azam CampusFaculty of Arts and Humanities
- Centre for South Asian Studies
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of English Language & Literature
- Department of French
- Department of History & Pakistan Studies
- Department of Philosophy
- Pakistan Study Centre
- Research Society of Pakistan
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Social Work
- Institute of Communication Studies
- Institute of Social & Cultural Studies
- Hailey College of Commerce
- Department of Economicst
- Department of Information Management
- Institute of Administrative Sciences
- Institute of Business & Information Technology
- Institute of Business Administration (IBA)
- Department of Special Education
- Institute of Education & Research
- Centre for Coal Technology
- Department of Textile Engineering & Technology
- Institute of Chemical Engineering & Technology
- Institute of Quality & Technology Management
- University College of Engineering & Emerging Technologies
- Institute of Islamic Studies
- Sheikh Zayed Islamic Centre
- Punjab University Law College
- Centre for Applied Molecular Biology (CAMB)
- Centre for Clinical Psychology
- Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology
- Department of Botany
- small bullet Seed Centre
- Department of MicroBiology & Molecular Genetics
- Department of Zoology
- Institute of Agricultural Sciences
- Department of Sports Sciences & Physical Education
- Institute of Applied Psychology
- Institute of Biochemistry & Biotechnology
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
- Punjab University Medical College, Lahore
- Department of Arabic
- Institute of Languages
- Department of Natural Medicine
- Centre for High Energy Physics
- Centre For Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR)
- Centre for Undergraduate Studies
- Centre of Excellence in Solid State Physics
- College of Earth & Environmental Sciences
- College of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences
- Department of Geography
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Space Science
- Institute of Chemistry
- Institute of Geology
Allama-Iqbal CampusFaculty of Arts and Humanities
- University College of Arts & Design
- Hailey College of Banking & Finance
- Department of Urdu Encyclopaedia of Islam
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Iqbal Studies
- Department of Kashmir Studies
- Department of Persian
- Department of Punjabi
- Department of Urdu
- Hazrat Syed Ali Hujveri Chair
- Rumi Chair
- University Oriental College
- Urdu Development (Committee)
- University College of Pharmacy
- Punjab University College of Information Technology
Gujranwala CampusFaculty of Administrative
- Registrar Office (Gujranwala Campus)
- Department of English Language & Literature (Gujranwala Campus)
- Department of Banking & Finance (Gujranwala Campus)
- Department of Commerce (Gujranwala Campus)
- Department of Business Administration (Gujranwala Campus)
- Department of Law (Gujranwala Campus)
- Department of Information Technology (Gujranwala Campus)
Jhelum CampusFaculty of Administrative
- Registrar Office (Jhelum Campus)
- Department of Commerce (Jhelum Campus)
- Department of Business Administration (Jhelum Campus)
- Department of Law (Jhelum Campus)
- Department of Information Technology (Jhelum Campus)
Noble Prize HolderThe two Nobel laureates are from University of the Punjab speaks volumes for its academic and research excellence. Har Gobind Khorana attended D.A.V. High School in Multan. He did his BSc from University of the Punjab in 1943.He obtained an M. Sc. Degree in 1945 again from the University of the Punjab. He shared the 1968 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine with Marshall W. Abdus Salam scored the highest marks ever recorded for the Matriculation Examination at the University of the Punjab. He won a scholarship to Government College, University of the Punjab, and took his MA in 1946.Abdus Salam became head of the Mathematics Department of the Punjab University in 1952.The Nobel Prize in Physics 1979 was awarded jointly to Abdus Salam, Sheldon Lee Glashow, and Steven Weinberg.
Aims and ObjectivesVision Punjab University intends to be a leading public university in providing affordable educational opportunities to develop scientific, socio-cultural, economic and political leadership, through learner-centred teaching and research, while strengthening their identity at National and International level.
- Improvement in quality and standard of education to conform the national / international needs
- Promotion of development-oriented applied research.
- Accountability in finances and academic programs.
- Character development with emphasis on morality and growth of maturity.
Quaid-e-Azam CampusP.O. Box No. 54590. Lahore, Pakistan.
Allama Iqbal CampusP.O. Box. No. 54000. Lahore, Pakistan.
- Near Ali Pur Chowk Rawalpindi Bypass Gujranwala, Pakistan.
- Fax No. 0092-55-9201223 Exchange No. 0092-55-9201225-6
Vice ChancellorDr. Zaffar Mueen Nasar
- Phone Number:
- Quaid-e-Azam Campus
- Allama Iqbal Campus
- Fax Number:
- E-Mail : email@example.com
RegistrarDr. Muhammad Khalid Khan
- Phone Number:
- Quaid-e-Azam Campus
- Additional Registrar
- Fax Number:
- E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
IT CenterFor Internet and CMS related complaints within University of the Punjab, the following Phone numbers of Support section are available for complaint registration. Please get the ticket number of your complaint.
- 0092-42-990161009 (For CMS Complaints)
Inquiry Regarding AdmissionYou can dial the following direct numbers of the listed branches:
- Reception & Information Cell 0092-42-99233132
- Form Section 0092-42-990161211
- Regular Admissions @ M.A./M.Sc. 0092-42-99230259
- Regular Admissions @ B.A./B.Sc. (Hons.) 0092-42-99230259
- E-Mail : email@example.com
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.