Chairman of PMAP
Mehmood Khan Achakzai, born in 1948, is the chairman of the the biggest Pakhtun nationalist party based in Balochistan province, Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party (PkMAP). He is also the son of Abdus Samad Khan Achakzai, who led the now defunct Pakhtunkhwa National Awami Party.
He received BSc degree in Engineering from University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar
in 1971.  biography
with chairman JUI-F
After his father was assassinated in a bomb attack in Quetta in December 1973 he was elected as the chairman and took control of the reins of the party. Achakzai was elected a Member of National Assembly for the first time in the 1993 elections from Quetta's NA-198 constituency with the backing of the then Pakistan Muslim League.  Career and news
- He was the only party member representing Pakhtun nationalist interests during the 2002 elections from the province, which was dominated by Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal (MMA) victories.
- The party has opposed the Kalabagh Dam project and Mahmood Khan Achakzai has vocally expressed his reservations over the project. The PkMAP chief has also denounced terrorism and extremism prevailing in the country.
- Though the party had parted ways with its earlier ally the Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz ( PML-N) and formed an alliance with the Awami National Party (ANP), the party then entered the All Parties Democratic Movement (APDM) and decided not to take part in the 2008 elections.
- The PkMAP had rejoiced with the ANP over the naming of the North West Frontier Province as Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in 2010 and has also called upon the federal government to make new provinces in the country on the basis of language, culture, history and geography of the area concerned.
Mehmood remained in News
with altaf HJussain
Though was not a member of the 2008-2013 parliament, Mahmood Khan has been in the news for his political role, especially over national issues like his meetings with Nawaz Sharif
over the NFC award and the Balochistan issue, his participation in All Party Conference (APC) hosted by the Jamiat-i-Ulema-i-Islam Fazal
(JUI-F) supporting talks with militants through a jirga. Off lately Achakzai's name had been generating buzz among political circles as he was considered a leading candidate for the post of caretaker prime minister, but the scenario was ruled out with the appointment of Mir Hazar Khoso as the caretaker prime minister. Achakzai's earlier refusal to hold the caretaker post had also corraborated the views of some that he and his party intended to contest the upcoming elections 2018 (Which is now confirmed). The nomination papers of Mahmood Khan Achakzai for the upcoming elections were conditionally accepted by Election Commission of Pakistan subject to verification of particulars by the Higher Education Commssion
, Federal Board of Revenue and State Bank of Pakistan. The ECP also issued on its website the details of Achakzai's records provided by NAB, SBP and FBR. The PML-N has once again decided to support Achakzai, and has announced that they will support him on the NA-259 seat.
Achakzais controversial stances
- MAHMOOD Khan Achakzai, a Pakistani politician and chairman of Balochistan’s Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party had stirred up a controversy by saying that Khyber Pakhtunkhwa belongs to Afghans and they can live there without fear and irritation. “If Afghans are harassed in other parts of Pakistan, they should come here to the KP province, where no one can ask them for refugee cards, because it also belongs to them,” Achakzai said. He added “Kabul and Islamabad should exercise extreme caution to resolve Torkham crossing conflict. Otherwise, they should leave the issue to the US and China, and they would resolve it within two weeks,” he told Radio Ashna. Later he clarified his statement, saying that Afghan refugees should be sent in a dignified manner. He, however, added that his party would put up resistance if Afghan refugees were harassed.
- After the August 8,2016 attack in Quetta Civil Hospital, Mehmood Khan Achakzai in a statement in Parliament called the deadly terrorist incident result of intelligence failure. The Election Commission of Pakistan Mehmood Khan Achakzai on September 1st over his controversial statement in the parliament after Quetta hospital attack.  stances
Petition filed against Achakzai
with afghan militant
A former presidential candidate Waheed Kamal had filed a petition in the election commission seeking disqualification of Mehmood Khan Achakzai over his statement. The petition said that Achakzai’s speech on the floor of the National Assembly was a bid to malign the armed forces, which is against Article 19 of the constitution. The petitioner seeks disqualification of Mehmood Khan Achakzai over his statement, “which bring disrepute to the security forces”. A bench of the ECP headed by the Chief Election Commissioner while hearing the case directed the PkMAP leader to appear on September 1st to explain his position. The commission adjourned the hearing till August 17,2016. Some people have termed Achakzai’s outburst as unpatriotic and some have even termed his comments as being based on treason. Bold statements like the one made by Achakzai, charge sheeting the security agencies of Pakistan is fraught with peril. However, one has to be objective.
Meeting with Israili and Indian PMs
Secret meetings exposed
Mehmood Khan Achakai once again bestuck in a controversy when his meetings with Indian prime minister Nirinda Moodi and Israeili prime minister Binyamin Neetan Yahu on 21st of January,2018 in New Delhi were exposed by Pakistani media. The purpose behind these secret meetings has not been known yet.  meetings
Created By: Rubab Fatima
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks