Major General Asif Ghafoor was commissioned on 9 Sep 1988 in 87 Medium Regiment. He is graduate of Command & Staff College Quetta, Command & Staff College Bandung (Indonesia) and NDU Islamabad. He holds master’s degree in strategic studies.
|Native Name:||Major General Asif Ghafoor|
|In Urdu :||میجر جنرل آصف غفور|
|Famous As:||DG ISPR|
|Education:||Command & Staff College Quetta, Command & Staff College Bandung (Indonesia) and NDU Islamabad. He holds master’s degree in strategic studies|
|Awards :||Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military)|
|Siblings :||Tariq Ghafoor (Brother)|
|Commands:||Artillery Brigade on Line of Control & Infantry Brigade on Eastern Border|
|Other Positions:||Instructional assignments, Major Infantry Brigade, Assistant Military Secretary MS Branch, GHQ, Directing Staff Command & Staff College Quetta and Director Military Operations|
|In Office 2|
|Role:||Director-General Inter-Services Public Relations|
|Assumed office:||15 December 2016|
|Prime Minister :||Shahid Khaqan Abbasi|
|Preceded by :||Lt Gen Asim Bajwa|
The General has served on various staff, instructional and command assignments to include Brigade Major Infantry Brigade, Assistant Military Secretary MS Branch, GHQ, Directing Staff Command & Staff College Quetta and Director Military Operations in Military Operations Directorate, GHQ. He has commanded his parent unit in Operation Al-Mizan, Artillery Brigade on Line of Control, Infantry Brigade on Eastern Border and a Division at Swat, Malakand.
- General is recipient of COAS Commendation Card for operations in Bajaur during 2008.
Pakistan Army appointed Major General Asif Ghafoor as its new spokesperson and chief of its media wing as part of a major reshuffle drive initiated by new army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa. Ghafoor is presently commanding a division in Swat, which was cleared of militants after a bloody operation in 2009, according to the arm .
- The newly appointed ISPR chief belongs to Pak Army’s Artillery Corps. He was promoted from Brigadier to Major General in January 2016 and later posted as General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the Artillery Regiment, in Swat.
- Besides reinstating law and order in Swat; Major General Asif Ghafoor also contributed a lot in restarting classes in University of Malakand, which is situated along the Swat River.
- The general’s brother, Tariq Ghafoor, has also served as Major General in the army.
- Asif Ghafoor has also served in the military operations directorate in the past and will now replace Lt. Gen. Asim Bajwa in coming days.
- The former DG ISPR, Asim Bajwa, was promoted last year and he became the first Lieutenant General to head the army’s media wing.
- Lt. Gen. Bajwa maintained the position for four consecutive years. He has now been posted as Inspector General Arms (GHQ).