5 Facts about Abdul Sattar Edhi
The setting up of Edhi FoundationEdhi Foundation started with a nominal investment of Rupees five thousand only, and with a free medical dispensary that Edhi managed through his savings. Soon with his hard work and dedication hundreds of people came forward and helped. Not all of us have the courage to leave our own good to benefit others.
Health ProblemsAbdul Sattar battled with serious health problems, Edhi had an unfortunate kidney failure in 2015 and used to get regular dialysis before he passed away. But still, in such bad health conditions, he used to visit his center every day. His consultant, Dr. Rizvi mentioned once: “Edhi sahib does the work on his own…he visits his center too.”
Faced lot of Problems at AirportEdhi had a lot of travel problems. For his social work, he used to travel a lot, but it appeared that the officials in the foreign countries did not like him much. He had been detained at Toronto airport for 16 hours, in New York he was interrogated for 8 hours and got his passport and documents seized and the worst case of all, he was once refused entry to Gaza by the authorities. Edhi explained that the only reason for this disrespect was his dress and his beard!
Edhi Foundation operates Internationally TooEdhi Foundation is not just confined to Pakistan. The organization stems out in the whole world and provides help wherever possible. Edhi Foundation has run relief operations in Africa, Middle East, Europe and even has aided the United States of America during the New Orleans hurricane.
Edhi had a very Simple lifeDespite the fact that Abdul Sattar Edhi is the head of a million dollar foundation, he led a very simple life. He never accepted a single penny as salary from EdhFoundationon. He lived in a two bedroom apartment over his clinic, that however was of below average condition. He had two pairs of clothes, that he wore to all business trips, television appearances and during all of his other activities.
Personal Life and Death
International Awards of Edhi
- Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service (1986)
- Lenin Peace Prize (1988)
- Paul Harris Fellow from Rotary International (1993)
- Peace Prize from the former USSR, for services during the Armenian earthquake disaster (1998)
- Hamdan Award for volunteers in Humanitarian Medical Services (2000), UAE
- International Balzan Prize (2000) for Humanity, Peace and Brotherhood, Italy
- Peace and Harmony Award (2001), Delhi
- Peace Award (2004), Mumbai
- Peace Award (2005), Hyderabad Deccan
- Wolf of Bhogio Peace Award (2005), Italy
- Gandhi Peace Award (2007), Delhi
- Peace Award (2008), Seoul
- Honorary doctorate from the Institute of Business Administration Karachi (2006).
- UNESCO-Madanjeet Singh Prize (2009)
- Ahmadiyya Muslim Peace Prize (2010)
- Silver Jubilee Shield by College of Physicians and Surgeons (1962–1987)
- Moiz ur rehman Award (2015)
- The Social Worker of Sub-Continent by Government of Sindh (1989)
- Nishan-e-Imtiaz, civil decoration from the Government of Pakistan (1989)
- Recognition of meritorious services to oppressed humanity during the 1980's by Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Government of Pakistan (1989)
- Pakistan Civic Award from the Pakistan Civic Society (1992)
- Shield of Honor by Pakistan Army (E & C)
- Khidmat Award by the Pakistan Academy of Medical Sciences
- Human Rights Award by Pakistan Human Rights Society
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.