Mohammad Zubair Umar is a Pakistani politician currently serving as 32nd Governor of Sindh. A member of the Pakistan Muslim League (N), he had served as the Chairman of Privatisation Commission of Pakistan with the status of junior minister from 2013 to 2017.
|Name:||Muhammad Zubair Umar|
|In Urdu :||محمد زبير عمر|
|Residence:||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Education:||Institute of Business Administration, Karachi|
|Date:||23 March 1956|
|Place:||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Siblings :||Asad Umar (brother)|
|Political Party:||Pakistan Muslim League (N)|
|Serve As:||32nd Governor of Sindh|
|Prime Minister:||Nawaz Sharif|
|Proceeded by:||Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui & Agha Siraj Durrani (Acting)|
|Time Period :||2 February 2017 _ Present|
|Role:||Chairman of Privatisation Commission of Pakistan|
|Dates:||18 December 2013 – 2 February 2017|
|Political Party:||18 December 2013 – 2 February 2017|
|Chairman:||Pakistan Board of Investment|
|Time Period:||12 July 2013 to 17 December 2013|
|Tax Reforms Media Committees:||2012-2013|
Early Life Education
Umar stated that he is from Karachi where he is living 1971 and belongs to Urdu-speaking community. He is the elder brother of Asad UmarHe holds a master’s degree in business administration from Karachi’s Institute of Business Administration, where he was elected to the Board of Directors in 1980 as a student representative and also taught Financial Management -1986.
Governor of Sindh
President Mamnoon Hussain Monday accorded his consent on a summary moved for the appointment of Muhammad Zubair as Governor of Sindh. The President has signed the summary moved in that regard. The post of governor Sindh was lying vacant since the demise of late Governor, Justice (Retd) Saeed-uz-Zaman Siddiqui who had passed away on January 11. Muhammad Zubair, who holds portfolio of Minister of State for Privatization/Chairman Privatization Commission, meanwhile talking to different TV channels expressed his willingness to work for the speedy development and welfare of the province in collaboration with the provincial government of Pakistan Peoples Party.About his new assignment, he said it would be a huge responsibility and resolved that he would work to promote good governance in the province.
- Appointed as Minister of State / Chairman Privatization Commission on 18th December to date.
- Appointed as Chairman, Board of Investment on 12th July, 2013 to 17th December, 2013.
- Part of PML- N Economic, Tax Reforms Media Committees, 2012-2013.
- Worked for Leading American IT Company IBM: 1981 to 2007 including key International Assignments in Paris, Rome, Milan and Dubai.
- Main Positions Held during 26 years career with IBM include:
- Chief Financial Officer, IBM Middle East / Africa Region 2004 – 2007.
- Chief Financial Officer, IBM Pakistan – 1998 – 2003.
- Awarded Administrative Achievement Award for best employee IBM Pakistan – 1981.
- Awarded Presidents Award for best performance in IBM Europe – 1997.
- Attended IBM Convention in Naples, Italy for outstanding performance – 1993.
- Awarded IBM Europe / Middle East / Africa Region Certificate for outstanding performance during 2002. Several Other Awards and Recognition’s achieved during the course of career with IBM.
- Elected on the Board of Directors of IBA, Karachi as their Student Representative – 1980.
- Taught Financial Management at the Institute of Business Administration, Karachi in the evening campus – 1981 – 1986.
- Remained on board of the American Business Council in financial advisory capacity during the period 2004 – 2007.
- Member of the Overseas Investors Chamber of Commerce and Industry 2004 – 2007.
- Regularly contributed articles on business subjects in leading Pakistani papers since 2007.
Before the Governor of Sindh
Zubair, who was chairman of the Privatisation Commission when he was appointed to the governor’s post, is the brother of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf leader Asad Umar.
He holds a master’s degree in business administration from Karachi’s Institute of Business Administration, where he was elected to the Board of Directors in 1980 as a student representative and also taught Financial Management from 1981-1986.