BiographyAn ardent believer in parliamentary oversight, Haroon worked extensively on six federal budgets, combating the circular debt in the energy sector, weeding out corruption in state organizations and promoting a climate of growth in Pakistan’s economy. Haroon has a Master of Science in Actuarial and Business Mathematics from the University of Manitoba, where he was one of only five university students awarded a graduate fellowship. He is also a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (USA) and a Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries. At the time of qualification, Haroon became the youngest actuary in the history of the profession.
FamilyHis father General Akhtar Abdur Rahman was the Chairman of the Pakistani Joint Chiefs of Staff and his brother Humayun Akhtar Khan served as the Commerce Minister of Pakistan from 2002-2007 and as the Investments Minister from 1997-1999. He is also the Senior Vice-President of the Pakistan Muslim League (Q) (PML-Q).
- Tandlianwala Sugar Mills (KSE: TSML) –Director, Lahore, Pakistan(TSML is a publicly-listed industrial conglomerate that operates sugar mills, distilleries and CO2 gas production facilities)
- Riaz Bottlers Pvt. Ltd. – Director, Lahore, Pakistan(RBL is a Pepsi Cola franchisee that bottles soft drinks, water and juices)
- Superior Textile Mills – Director, Lahore, Pakistan(Superior is a textile mill that spins yarn)
- Private Actuarial Consulting Practice( New York, USA)
- Manulife Financial formerly Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, Toronto, Canada(Operated in corporate finance, planning and development and marketing as a senior actuary)
- Teaching Assistantships at University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada(Taught several high-level mathematics and statistics courses to undergraduates)
Public ServiceSenator in the Senate of Pakistan Islamabad Pakistan
- Elected to the Senate of Pakistan on a technocrat seat from Punjab
- Served as a senior member of standing committees on: (1) Finance, Economic Affairs, Revenue, Statistics and Planning and Development; (2) Commerce; (3) Industries and Production; (4) Petroleum, Natural Resources and Minerals and (5) Sports, Culture and Tourism
- Recognized as leading the way in making Senate standing committees powerful legislative bodies
- Twice-elected from Lahore to serve as a member of the Punjab Assembly
Tandlianwala Sugar MillsThe company Haroon leads and operates as Managing Director is a publicly-listed industrial conglomerate that operates sugar mills, industrial ethanol distilleries and carbon-dioxide gas production facilities.
- Standing Committee on Industries and Production
- Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Ecnomic Affairs and Statistics
- Standing Committee on Petroleum and Natural Resources
- Bachlor of Science, Govt. College Lahore. (Maths-A, Maths-B, 1974.)
- Third Position in University of Punjab (Statistics).
- First Position in Govt. College Lahore.
- Master of Science, University of Manitoba, Canada, 1977 in Acturial and Business Administration.
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries, USA, 1977.
- Fellow of the Society of Acturies, USA, 1979.
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries, 1980.
- Become the youngest qualified Actuary in the world at the age of 23. Average age of qualification is 28-30 years.
- Twice elected Member Provincial Assmbly of Punjab.
PMs Special Assistant on RevenuePrime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi Tuesday granted the status of federal minister to Haroon Akhtar Khan to implement the tax agenda ahead of 2018 general election.“Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has been pleased to grant the status of federal minister to Haroon Khan as Special Assistant to the PM on Revenue with immediate effect,” said a Cabinet Division notification.
Senate Election Results 2018PML-N-backed candidate have gained the majority of seats in Senate polls with at least 15 seats to their name. PML-N won majority of its seats from Punjab while PPP won largely from Sindh, getting 12 seats in total.20 candidates from Punjab contested the polls for 12 seats reserved in Senate for the province. Governing PML-N won 11 seats through independent candidates in Senate polls held at Punjab Assembly.
Winning candidates are
- Ishaq Dar elected on Technocrat seat
- Asif Kirmani elected on General seat
- Independent candidate Haroon Akhtar elected on General seat
- Sadia Abbasi elected on Woman seat
- Nuzhat Sadiq elected on Woman seat
- PML-N-backed Kamran Michael elected on Minority seat
- Hafiz Abdul Kareem elected on Technocrat seat
- Maqbool Ahmed on General seat
- Musadik Malik on General seat
- Shaheen Khalid Butt on General seat
- PML-N-backed independent candidate Rana Mehmood-ul-Hassan elected on General seat
DisqualificationSupreme Court has disqualified two members of Pakistan Muslim League N including Haroon Akhtar and Sadia Khaqan Abbasi on 17th October 2018 over the dual Nationality at the time of submitting the Nomination papers for the Senate Elections 2018. Chief Justice Saqib Nisar has ordered the Election Commission of Pakistan for the re-elections for these 2 vacant seats. His Nationality was questioned before too which he completely denied.
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.