Zong (Urdu: زونگ) or China Mobile Pakistan is a pan Pakistan mobile network operator headquartered in Islamabad, which offers voice and data services ranging from postpaid and prepaid plans, 2G, 3G and 4G services, mobile banking to fixed telephony. It is the first oversea setup of China Mobile through acquisition of a license from Millicom to operate a GSM network in Pakistan in 2008.
It is Pakistan second largest GSM mobile service provider and third largest mobile service in terms of subscriber base of over 25.6 million. It has a market share of 19% among cellular operators in the country.
|In Urdu:||زونگ پاکستان|
|Traded As:||China Mobile Pakistan|
|Industry:||Telecommunications Mobile Communications|
|Contact Person:||ZONG Headquarters Main Phone: 111-222-111, Main Fax: 111-031-031|
|Category:||Telecommunications, Wireless Communication|
|Adress:||ZONG Headquarters : CMPak Complex, Plot#47, Kuri Road, National Park Road, Chak Shahzad, Islamabad, Punjab (Capital), Pakistan|
|Key People:||Liu Dianfeng (CEO)|
|Product:||Mobile services Data services Mobile banking Telephony Blackberry solution|
|Revenue:||Zong Achieves Highest Ever Revenue of Rs. 5 Billion in a Single Month|
|Operating income:||$0 (Estimated)|
|Stock Price:||0941 (HKG) HK$85.35 +0.50 (+0.59%)|
|Owner:||Dr. Fan Yun Jun (CEO)|
|Subscribers:||Zong Achieves 25 Million Customers|
|Number of employees:||More than 500|
|Parent organization:||China Mobile|
|Timepey is the Mobile Banking:||Service Offered by Zong in Association with Askari Bank Limited|
|Zong Operates:||23 customer service centres, 305 franchises, and 190,000 retail customer points nationwide|
|Subsidiaries:||China Mobile Hong Kong Company Limited, China Mobile Tietong, Zong Pakistan|
- Zong commenced operations as Paktel by Cable & Wireless in 1991. It was the first company granted a free license to carry out cellular phone services in Pakistan. It carried out AMPS services until 2004, when the company launched GSM services
- In 2003, Millicom Corporation, who at that time were majority owners of Instaphone, bought Paktel from Cable & Wireless. Millicom installed a new management team headed by John Tumelty, former CEO of Instaphone, and Chief Financial Officer David Ordman.
- On January 22, 2007, Millicom International Cellular S.A. stated that it would sell its 88.86 percent stake in Paktel Limited to China Mobile for $284 million, which includes the repayment of intercompany debt. The sale implies an enterprise value for Paktel of $460 million, Millicom said in its press release. Merrill Lynch advised China Mobile on the transaction.
- On 4 May 2007, Paktel Limited was renamed to China Mobile Pakistan. On May 16, 2007 China Mobile announced that it had increased its stake in CMPak to 100%.
- On April 1, 2008 Paktel was rebranded to Zong.
- China Mobile Pakistan has invested more than US $2 billion so far to build up network infrastructure in Pakistan since 2008. It will invest US $1 billion in next two to three year for next generation service roll-out.
- Zong has built the third largest cellular network in the country with over 6000 base stations. To go green, Zong has installed solar powered cell sites in various locations. It has country’s largest solar power telecommunication network.
- zong is exist in major cities mostly.there r many towns and villages which r still unable to receive its 2g coverage which is its major flaw.
- Its network base stations, microwave links, IT support and transmission towers are maintained and provided by ZTE Pakistan.
- Alcatel-Lucent under the terms of a distribution agreement with RIM leverages its global integration services and local presence in the region to provide Zong with end-to-end implementation, launch, delivery and support services for the BlackBerry solution in the Pakistani market.
- Zong currently uses GSM, UMTS/HSPA+ and LTE technologies.
- Frequencies used by Zong network
- Frequency Protocol Class
- 900 MHz
- 1800 MHz
- 2100 MHz
- 1800 MHz
Next generation mobile services
On April 23, 2014 Pakistan concluded next generation mobile spectrum auction. Zong paid $516 million for 10 MHz spectrum in 2.1 GHz frequency for 3G and 10 MHz spectrum in 1.8 GHz frequency for 4G making it Pakistan’s first 3G and 4G operator.
- Zong uses the following numbering scheme:
- +92 3 1 N1N2N3N4N5N6N7N8
- Where, 92 is the ISD code for Pakistan and is required when dialling outside the country, 3 is the mobile access code, and 1 is the prefix for Zong allocated by Pakistan Telecommunication Authority. Omitting +92 would require 0 instead to represent local call, hence 031 is the general prefix and N1N2N3N4N5N6N7N8 is the subscriber number.
Since launch China Mobile Pakistan run the advertising campaign for Zong with the tagline ‘Say it all’ .
Zong offers prepaid, postpaid, ladies, and youth plans. The postpaid, ladies, and youth plans are branded as bizXcess, Flutter, and Circle. Moreover, it also offers data plans and branch-less banking.
Partnership with Manchester United F.C.
- In October 2011, ZONG signed a three-year partnership deal with the English football club Manchester United F.C. The deal allowed the club’s Pakistani fans to see all the goals scored, exclusive interviews, news, and behind-the-scenes access. ZONG also made a television commercial featuring the Manchester United players Dimitar Berbatov, Rio Ferdinand, Darren Fletcher and Ashley Young playing street football with Pakistani children.
- In 2012, Zong sent 32 boys for a one-week training camp to Manchester United Soccer School in Abu Dhabi. 120 teams with maximum 16 players each were identified and trials were conducted in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Multan and Faisalabad by a team of professional coaches. A total of three teams were formed in Karachi, two in Lahore, one each in Islamabad-Rawalpindi, Multan and Faisalabad. The coaches then identified 32 boys to send to Abu Dhabi from these 8 teams.
Corporate social responsibility
- Zong powers several projects related to social responsibility. These include
- Scholarships to students at the University of Engineering and Technology>.
- A campaign called am a Blood Donor to create awareness about blood donation.
- Zong joins hands with UNICEF Pakistan to defeat polio.
- Zong runs Tabeer, a wagon service in collaboration with Al-Abrar associates in Islamabad and Rawalpindi for women.
- Buksh Foundation and Zong signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to provide electricity to two Punjab villages.
- Zong sponsors the National Open Polo Championship for the Quaid-e-Azam Gold Cup.
On September 26, 2013 President of Pakistan honoured Zong as the fastest growing cellular network at the Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce and Industry.