Dr Yasmeen Rashid
Dr. Yasmin Rashid is a Pakistan Tehreek - e- Insaf Punjab General Secretary. She retired from the Government Service in 2010 as a Professor & Head of the Obstetrics & Gynaecology Department, King Edward Medical University, Lahore. She was born on 21 September 1950 in Chakwal
, Punjab, Pakistan.
Family and marriage
Dr Yasmin Rashid belongs to a politically famous family. She tied the knot with Muhammad Rashid Nabi in 1972 son of Malik Ghulam Nabi who was the minister in the government of Zulfiqar Ali bhutto
- Professor & Head of the Obstetrics & Gynaecology Department, King Edward Medical University, Lahore. (2003-2010 Retirement from Government service).  Experience and treatment
- Program Manager, Punjab Safe Motherhood Initiative Project (2004-2010)
- Program Manager, Punjab Thalassaemia Prevention Project (2009-2010)
- Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Fatima Jinnah Medical College, Lahore,(1999 – 2003)
- Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Rawalpindi Medical College. Rawalpindi (July 1996 - 1999)
Diseases / Conditions treated by Prof. Dr. Yasmin Rashid
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovaries)
- Menstruation problems
Treatments / Procedures performed by Prof. Dr. Yasmin Rashid
- Caesarean (C-Section)
- Spontaneous Vaginal Delivery (SVD)
- UV Prolapse
- Tubal Ligation
- Reproductive Health Research Unit
Initiated the first research unit on reproductive health in the country at Lady Willingdon Hospital, Lahore. This research unit is now conducting several national and international researches in reproductive health
- Related to Fetal Medicine
Initiated the subspecialty of Feto Maternal Medicine in Pakistan in 1994. Facilities like Inutero Blood Transfusion, prenatal diagnosis, fetal blood sampling, etc are provided to the patients during pregnancy.
- Related to Alzheimer’s Disease
Established Alzheimer’s Pakistan, the national organization working on Alzheimer’s Disease. Through Alzheimer’s Pakistan services like awareness, trainings, support to families and day care center has been initiated in the country.
Developed the facility of Prenatal Diagnosis of Thalassaemia at Genetic Level by Chorionic Villus Sampling. Performed the first test in Pakistan regarding the disease. Since then have provided the facility to more than eight hundred couples. Pakistan is the first Muslim country to start the facility of Prenatal Diagnosis. Established the first centre for the affected children in a government hospital in 1995 at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital Lahore.
Projects on health and education
Dr Yasmin Rashid is a veteran doctor
- Young Champion Project for Girls Education in Lahore (2009 –to date)
Heading the Young Champion Project for Girls Education project in Lahore in collaboration with UNICEF and School Education Department. The project is being implemented in connection with the United nations girl education initiative (UNGEI), which is also being implemented in South Asian Region. The project aims to enroll marginalized children in government schools through a volunteer force of youngsters, who are simultaneously also being trained to become community leaders.
- Establishment of Temporary Learning Centers in District Muzaffargarh (2010 -ongoing)
Heading the project in flood hit district of Muzaffargarh
. So far 161 Temporary Learning Shelters (TLC) have been set up in collaboration with UNICEF and district government and approximately 21,096 children have been enrolled in schools. Nearly 425 teachers of all these government schools are also trained to effectively provide education in the current situation and to provide psycho-social support to children.
- Social mobilization on Maternal & Child Health through Community action process(2011 -ongoing)
Heading the project in 12 union councils of flood hit district of Rajanpur. The project is being run in collaboration with UNICEF and district government and provides health services to mothers and children through social mobilization and community action process.
- Global Health Workforce Alliance & WHO project on Supporting Human Resources Development in Medical Schools in Pakistan (2009 -2011)
Headed the Global Health Workforce Alliance (GHWA) & WHO project to support human resources development in Pakistan to overcome human resources in health (HRH) crisis through massive skills development for medical students and medical graduates on health leadership and related themes.
- Punjab Safe Motherhood Initiative Project (2004 -2010)
Program Manager, Punjab Safe Motherhood Initiative Project, FUNDED BY Government of Punjab and supported by UNICEF – This project is considered as the solution to the manning of peripheral hospitals by health personals properly trained in the management of Comprehensive Emergency Obstetrics Care (EMoC) services . The project involves the rotation of post graduate doctors from tertiary care hospitals on monthly basis so as to provide 24 hours EMoC. Project has shown excellent results.
Also supervised the replication of the Safe Motherhood Initiative Projects in two more rural districts in Punjab namely Nankana
District through Fatima Jinnah Medical College, Lahore and Chakwal District through Rawalpindi Medical College. MNCH Program is also initiating this project in different districts of Punjab province.
- Punjab Thalassaemia Prevention Project (2009 -2010)
Project Director, Punjab Thalassaemia Prevention Project, FUNDED BY Government of Punjab– Beta Thalassaemia is the commonest inherited disorder in Pakistan with six percent prevalence rate. The project aims to screen Thalassaemia carriers in the province and provide prenatal diagnosis to carrier couples. This project is considered to be the only solution to the problem of Thalassaemia in Punjab as treating all the Thalassaemic patients in all times to come is not possible for a country like Pakistan. The project headquarter is based at Lady Willingdon Hospital Lahore with regional offices in Rawalpindi, Multan
- Advocacy and Social Mobilization for Women’s Health (2004-to date)
Heading the UNICEF funded project executed through JSCD in the districts of Kasur
. The project focuses on the advocacy and social mobilization on women’s health. The project also focuses on water and sanitation.
- Outreach Program at Skardu District Hospital. (1998-to date)
The program involves providing facility of obstetric and gynaecological operations to the people of Baltistan
since 1998 through regular medical camp at District Headquarter Hospital Skardu
. This very remote area is located in the Karakuram Mountain range, where there is no specialist in obstetrics and gynaecology available in the entire district.
- National Plan Of Action On Maternal Health (2004)
Developed the National Plan of Action (NPA) on Maternal Health for the Central Asian State of Turkmenistan. The NPA has been developed for five years on the behest of UNICEF and Government of Turkmenistan.
- Pak Initiative for Mothers & Newborns
Project Manager, Pak Initiative for Mothers & Newborns, funded by PAIMAN (USAID) and supported by Government of Punjab– This project is designed to provide advocacy, awareness and safe motherhood & Newborn services in two union councils of Jhelum
- Strengthening Maternal Care And Referral services in the Target Areas of Lahore and Sheikhupura (2000-2003).
Headed the above mentioned UNICEF pilot project as Project Manager, this collaborative program with UNICEF involved a tertiary care hospital attached to a medical school with primary health care facilities in Lahore and a nearby district. This was first of its kind and because of its success now been adopted by the government as the Safe Motherhood Initiative
- Advocacy and Social Mobilization for Women’s Health (1998-2005)
Headed the UNICEF projects for Social Welfare Department, Government of Punjab and JSCD. The projects focused on the advocacy of issues related to women health, and also included issues like gender sensitization, violence against women, women and girl child rights and violence against women.  awards, projects, activities
- President, Jahandad Society for Community Development (since 2001)
- Patron, Alzheimer’s Pakistan (since 2000)
- Elected Board Member, Alzheimer’s Disease International (since 2009)
- Secretary General, Thalassaemia Society of Pakistan. (since 1994)
- Secretary General, Thalassaemia Federation of Pakistan (since 2004)
- Secretary General PTI Punjab (since 2010)
- President Pakistan Medical Association Lahore. (2008-2010)
- Chairperson Taskforce for Women Development Government of Punjab. (1998-2002)
- Chairperson Committee for Women Health, Social Welfare Department Punjab. (1998-2000)
- President Pakistan Medical Association Centre. (1998-2000)
Dr Yasmin contested against Kulsoom Nawaz in NA-120
Dr Yasmeen Rashid's father-in-law Malik Ghulam Nabi was a close aide of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and a minister in his cabinet. Doctor Yasmeen Rashid quit government service in 2010 on the advice of her father in law and joined Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf. She contested elections from the constituency NA-120 against the two-time former Prime Minister and received 52321 votes in 2013. She ran for the seat of the National Assembly of Pakistan
as a candidate of PTI from NA-120 (Lahore-III) but was unsuccessful and secured 52,354 votes against then President of Pakistan Muslim League (N)
Nawaz Sharif who won with 91,683 votes. In July 2017, after Nawaz Sharif
was disqualified by Supreme Court of Pakistan
as Member of the National Assembly following the Panama Papers case verdict, NA-120 (Lahore-III) seat fell vacant and by-polls were called in the constituency. PTI nominated Rashid to run for the seat of the National Assembly as its candidate in the by-polls held in September 2017. However she lost the polls to Kulsoom Nawaz Sharif
.  political career
Created By: Rubab Fatima
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.