The Virtual University, Pakistan’s first University based completely on modern Information and Communication Technologies, was established by the Government as a public sector, not-for-profit institution with a clear mission: to provide extremely affordable world class education to aspiring students all over the country. Pakistan’s first University based completely on modern Information and Communication Technologies Using free-to-air satellite television broadcasts and the Internet, the Virtual University allows students to follow its rigorous programs regardless of their physical locations. It thus aims at alleviating the lack of capacity in the existing universities while simultaneously tackling the acute shortage of qualified professors in the country. By identifying the top Professors of the country, regardless of their institutional affiliations, and requesting them to develop and deliver hand-crafted courses, the Virtual University aims at providing the very best courses to not only its own students but also to students of all other universities in the country.  INTRODUCTION INTRODUCTION
To become an internationally acclaimed technology based university that improves access to higher education while maintaining the highest quality standards.
- To provide the highest quality of education and research opportunities to all aspiring students irrespective of their age, gender, religion, and geographical location by using modern ICT with content developed by top experts of their respective fields.
- To train students to grow in their professional lives and inculcate an entrepreneurial mindset with high ethical and moral standards to become a productive part of society.
- To provide the best working environment to faculty and staff to create a culture of research, innovation and cooperation.
- To promote the philosophy of knowledge sharing by providing free and unhindered access to all of its educational content.  Mission Mission
Welcome to the fastest growing academic community in the Country – the Virtual University of Pakistan. In just a few years this Federal Government University has become one of the largest higher education institutions of the country. Its graduates are gainfully employed by prominent industrial and business concerns and many have established their own enterprises and are providing employment to others. A large number of VU graduates are continuing their studies at other top tier universities both within and outside Pakistan. You must be aware that VU is the pioneer in Information and Communications Technology based education in Pakistan. It employs a unique pedagogy involving video content delivered through multiple modes including broadcast television, the World Wide Web and DVDs. Comprehensive student-teacher interaction and support is provided over the Internet and supplemented using mobile devices. The University has developed world-class courses for you and in order to fully benefit from them, you should become completely familiar with the University’s Learning Management System (LMS). You will be provided a detailed orientation in order to help you get started with your studies at VU.The Virtual University of Pakistan maintains high academic standards and you will have to work regularly and consistently to get a degree from Virtual University, but let me assure you: the Virtual University’s degree is well worth the effort.If ever you have any problems, questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to write to me. Your suggestions are very valuable and will help us further improve the programs of the Virtual University.Once again, welcome, and let us march together towards an educated Pakistan and into a new and prosperous era for our nation.  RECTOR'S MESSAGE
Virtual University holds a federal charter from the Government of Pakistan and gets a federal recognition from the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan.
A four-year full-time study program spread over eight semesters. Each semester has at least 18 weeks duration for teaching and examinations. All programs listed below are Bachelor of Science except for the Bachelor of Education in Elementary.
Computer Science Information Technology and Software Engineering
- Computer Science
- Information technology
- Software engineering
- Business Administration
- Public Administration
- Business and Information Technology (BBIT)
- Business course
- Mass Communication
- B.Ed (Hons) Elementary
- Accounting and Finance
- Commerce for B.Com degree holders
- Banking and Finance
- MSCS (2 year/4 semester, 30 credit hours) study program for candidates having 16 years of education.
- MSBA/MBA(Equivalent to MS) (2 year/4 semester) study program for candidate having 16 years of education.
Masters Programs For VU graduates
- MCS Master of Computer Science for VU graduates
- MIT Master of Information Technology for VU graduates
- MBA Master of Business Administration for VU graduates
Masters degree programs
Students who have completed their bachelor's degree (with at least 45% marks) from a recognized university or institution can apply for admission to:
Msc Applied Psychology
EligibilityÂ : 45% marks in bachelor's degree & psychology subject must be pass as an elective subject.
Computer Science and Information Technology
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics (MSBI)
- Master of Computer Science (MCS)
- Master of Information Technology (MIT)
- Master of Commerce(M.Com)
- Master of Business Studies (MBS - Leading to MBA/MSBA)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Business Economics (MB.Econ)
- Master of Accounting
- Master of Finance
- Master of Accounting & Finance
- Master of Banking & Finance
- Master in Human Resources Management
- Masters in Operation and Supply Chain Management
(These programs comprise seventy-two credit hours each, spread over 2 years / four semesters).
Students completing their 16-year education in computer science, information technology & Management Sciences field are given admission to advanced level degree program. According to HEC criteria, these advance level degrees are equivalent to an MS/MPhil program offered by any other university in the country.
Virtual University was founded in 2002 since which it has expanded operations to reach more than one hundred cities throughout the country with more than 160 associated institutions providing infrastructure support to students. In addition, Pakistani students residing in several other countries in the region are also enrolled in the University's programs.
Virtual University has two types of campuses, its own, and those that are run by other organizations with modern computer lab and Internet access facilities.
VU is one of two Pakistani universities which provide distance learning. The first one is Allama Iqbal Open University, and second is Virtual University. The students can get lectures without going to the campuses of VU. VU lectures can be seen on VU's cable channels (VTV1, VTV2, VTV3 & VTV4) on daily motion and YouTube.
Milestone and Achievements
- VU Feasiblity study final feasibility. December 8, 2001
- President of Pakistan inaugurated the Virtual University of Pakistan. March 23, 2002
- First batch of 500 students starts classes. March 26, 2002
- Federal Charter granted by Government of Pakistan. September 1, 2002
- VU start broadcasts over its own TV channels VTV1 and VTV2. June 15, 2004
- VU selected as coordinating institute of multi-country IDRC funded project. March 1, 2005
- VU puts is lectures on YouTube November, 2005
- Launch of MCS, MIT and MBA programs. March 6, 2006
- Launch of two new TV channels VTV3, & VTV4. September 26, 2006
- VU becomes an Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) member. November 7, 2006
- VU agreement with Ujala TV Dubai to telecast VU programs. November 30, 2006.
- VU agreement with University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences to offer joint BS Bio-informatics program.May 25, 2007
- Launch of MS program in Computer Science. Fall 2007
- Launch of B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. (2-year programs). Fall 2009"
- VU launch its in-house developed LMS (Learning Management System)and other MIS(s) by IT Department. Spring 2009
- Virtual University of Pakistan held its first Convocation on Tuesday 18 May 2010 simultaneously at Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Jamshoro, Karachi and Quetta.
- Virtual University of Pakistan holds Highest Category 'W' By HEC.
- HEC on May 28, 2013 has clarified the ambiguity created by some newspapers amongst VU students and general public. HEC has, therefore, reconfirmed the status of the University as on-line & distance education institution of the country.
Created By: Fayz Sarfraz
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks