Department of Archaeology
The Department of Archaeology was established in the University of Malakand in 2011. The department offers regular 2 years Master of Arts in Archaeology.
Archaeology is the scientific study of past human culture and behaviour from the origin of human to the present. It studies past human behaviour through the examination of material remains of previous human societies.
Archaeology is a discipline that involves observation, exploration, excavation, recording, preservation, conservation and reconstruction of the human past.
Hiuen Tsang, Chinese pilgrim, who visited Gandhara in the early 7th century A.D, the kingdom of Gandhara formed the tract of country on the west bank of the Indus which included the Peshawar valley and modern Swat
, Buner, Dir and Bajaur. Gandhara was the cradle of Buddhist Civilization and gave birth to the famous Gandhara Art.
Malakand division is one of the most important regions of Pakistan both culturally and historically, for instance Swat, ancient (Udiyana) Bajaur and Dir. Similarly the history of Dir goes back to at least the 2nd millennium B.C, which testified by the excavation of numerous burials of Aryans at Timargarha and other places dating from 18th to 6 century B.C. The Aryans were followed by the Achaemenians, who were defeated by Alexander the great in 327 B.C. During his invasion he faced difficulties in subjugating the local people. In this way the Greek historian have paid great tributes to the local inhabitant, the army and the queen of Massaga an ancient site near the modern Ziarat
village, situated between Chakdara and Timargarha.
After the Greeks the area witnessed the Gandhara Civilization, which achieved great fame. This period is signified by the presence of the monumental remains of the Buddhist stupas and monasteries.
The cosmopolitan art of Gandhara, with influences from Indian, Greek, Roman and Persian artists, appeared in this region in the 1st century B.C, strengthened in the 1st A.D, flourished till 5th century A.D.
Dir occupied an important position as a Centre of Gandhara Art. The Pilgrims and historians have defined Gandhara is the combination of two Sanskrit words Gand which means Land while Hara means Fragrance / beauty, (the land of fragrance and beauty, as the area to the west of Indus and north of Kabul rivers which included the valleys of Peshawar
, Charsadda, Swabi, Mardan, Swat, Buner, Dir, Bajaur, extending westwards to Bamiyan in Afghanistan and Taxila valley on Punjab in the east.
The important Gandhara sites in the vicinity of Dir lower include Andan Dheri, Chat Pat, Gumbatuna, Bumbolai, Ramora, Damkot, Balambat, Jandol, Nasafa, Macho, Jabagai and Shalizar.  Department of Archaeology
Aims and Objectives
Archaeology is the study of cultural material remains by ancient people. Thus the maintenance aim of Archaeology is the reconstructed of the past of human race through systematic approach today many archaeologist are involved with the definition of theoretical system for the approach to interpretation.
In theory all archaeological study is aimed toward an explanation a conceptual basis for the reconstruction of the past.
- To conduct investigation, excavation, explanation, publications, recording, preservation and promotion of cultural heritage in the area in particular and Pakistan in general.
- To convey quality education in the field of Archaeology through multidisciplinary and thematic approach.
- To provide skilled professionals to different institutions conducting teaching and research in the field of Archaeology and Museology.
- To promote the management of cultural heritage and preservation of cultural assets.
- To play a vital role in furthering the understanding of Archaeological and historical past of Pakistan.  Aims and Objectives
The department is devoted to produce true professionals in various fields of Archaeology at Master level.
Department of Bio-Technology
The last three decades of this century saw the concurrent developments of a number of novel and new techniques in biological sciences that not only advanced research tremendously but also carried with them the promise of improvement in the life standard of mankind.
Studies pertaining to animal physiology and cell biology revealed possibilities unlimited for employing complex biological materials to be used in diagnosis and therapy in human medicine following the lead of insulin treatment for diabetes
Biotechnology not only contributed by developing biological processes complementary to chemical technologies but also provided economical, efficient, clean, pollution free biological technologies. The production of sophisticated bio-chemicals including drugs diagnostics and bacterial leaching of metals from ores by these biotechnological industries has not only replaced the inefficient, resource consuming, often pollution producing chemical technologies but also have exerted an environmental impact by slowing down the depletion of valuable non- renewable resources.
Biotechnology thus, can be defined as industrial processes based on biological systems involving naturally occurring microorganism that have been modified by genetic engineering or isolated cells of plants or animals and the genetic manipulation of cell to produce new strains of plants or animals. Hence use of various biological processes to make products and perform services can be considered encompassed by Biotechnology: and its essential components, therefore, are biological processes which are based on living cells and biochemical molecules like proteins, DNA, RNA, thus making a practical use of the recent scientific advances in areas like molecular genetics.
Biotechnology is a multidisciplinary approach having the ability to tailor the genetic material of living organisms. It is expected to bring revolution in human lives in the 21st century as physics did in the 20th century.
The department of Biotechnology was established in 2001. Since then it offers admission in 4-Year BS (Honors) program.  Department of Bio- Technology
- To provide quality education in the fields of Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering, Molecular Biology and other related fields
- To encourage research activities, exploring variety of technically feasible projects having socio-economic importance
- To produce quality manpower that can fulfill the needs of tomorrow and compete in national and international arena of research and development
Marketability and Job Opportunities
- Federal & provincial public sector departments like Education, Forestry, Wild Life, Horticulture, Floriculture, Agriculture, Research sector, Health, food and pharmaceutical industries
- Research institutions and organizations like AZRI, PARC, PCSIR, NIH, PMNH, NIFA, WFO, PASTIC and Pharmaceuticals
- Private sector organizations
- NGOs (local, National and international)  Marketability and Job Opportunities
- Computer Science & IT
- Islamic Studies
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Management Studies
- Political Science
- Sociology & Social Work
- Software Engineering
- Tourism & Hotel Management
- Zoology  University Department
Computer Science & IT
Tourism and Hotel Management
Zoology  Teaching Faculty
- Office of the Vice Chancellor
- Office of the Registrar
- Dean Office
- Office of the Director Administration
- Office of the Provost
- Examination Section
- Central Library
- Finance Department
- Works Department  Administrative Staff
- Address: The 'University of Malakand'; abbreviated as 'UOM', is a public university located in the banks of the Swat river and the rural area of Lower Dir district of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. 18800
- Phone: (0945) 763023
Created By: Zeeshan Ali
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks