Biography Education Steps
- President Student Union, MAS Arts College, Sukkhur, Sindh 1971
- President Student Union, Islamia Post Graduate College, Sukkhur, Sindh 1975
- President Student Union, MAS Law College, Sukkhur, Sindh 1977
- Counselor / Leader of Opposition, Municipal Corporation, Sukkhur, Sindh 1979
- Counselor / Leader of Opposition, Municipal Corporation, Sukkhur, Sindh 1987
National politics Till 2008
- Member Provincial Assembly of Sindh (PPP), 1988
- Minister for Transport, Information, Education, Sport, Finance and Planning & Development, Government of Sindh 1988
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party 1990
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party 1993
- Federal Minister for Education and Religious Affairs 1993
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Deputy Opposition Leader 1997
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party 2002
- Member National Assembly of Pakistan (PPP) Chief Whip of the Party, 2008
- Federal Minister for Labour & Manpower 2008
Political career From 2008-2013Shah enjoys an influential position in the party and was its chief in the 2008-2013 National Assembly. He is considered a trouble-shooter as far as relations with other parties are concerned, mainly on account of his good connections with all political parties. During the 2008-2013 NA, he also headed the parliamentary committee on the appointment of the chief election commissioner. He was also among the candidates for the position of prime minister after the Supreme Court disqualified Yousuf Raza Gilani. Moreover, Shah was a member of the bipartisan panel which was tasked with forging a consensus on a name for caretaker prime minister prior to the 2013 general election. The panel was unsuccessful in accomplishing the task and the caretaker premier name was finalised by the Election Commission of Pakistan.
- Shah was re-elected as the member of the National Assembly for the sixth time in Pakistani general election, 2013 from second Sukkur constituency.
- Shah wa a potential candidate to become Prime Minister of Pakistan after Yousaf Raza Gillani was disqualified to hold the office. In June 2013, Shah was appointed as the Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly by PPP.
- Shah is also chairman of the Public Accounts Committee in National Assembly.
- Shah is said to have good relations with the leaders of other political parties in Pakistan.