PM Yousaf Raza Gillani in Skardu: Gilgit and Skardu declared big cities
Life in skardu new bazar
Beautifull place in Skardu Pakistan
Skardu in European LiteratureThe first mention of Skardu in European literature was made by Frenchman François Bernier (1625–1688). Bernier was a physician and world traveller who reached India in 1659 and in 1663, in the wake of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, travelled to Kashmir. In 1670, he described his encounter with a King of Little Tibet — one related to Murad Khan — and mentions Eskerdou (Skardu) as one of the places of Baltistan in his travel memoirs. After this mention of Little Tibet and Skardu through the country, Little Tibet and Skardu were quickly drawn into Asian maps produced in Europe. Skardu was first mentioned as Eskerdow the map "Indiae orientalis nec non insularum adiacentium nova descriptio" by Nicolaes Visscher II, published 1680–1700, and the first recorded Baltistan as Tibet Minor.
Climate and GeologyThe climate of Skardu during the summer is moderated by its mountain setting; the intense heat of lowland India does not reach it. The mountains block out the summer monsoon, and summer rainfall is thus quite low. However, these mountains result in very severe winter weather. During the April-to-October tourist season, temperatures vary between a maximum of 27 °C (81 °F) and a minimum (in October) 8 °C (46 °F). Temperatures can drop to below −10 °C (14 °F) in the December-to-January midwinter period. The lowest recorded temperature was −24.1 °C (−11 °F) on 7 January 1995.
RiverThe Shigar River is a tributary to the Indus River , joining at the town of Skardu. The Basha and Braldu rivers are northern tributaries of the Shigar. Numerous complex granitic pegmatites and a few alpine-cleft metamorphic deposits are found in the Shigar Valley and its tributaries. Shigar Valley contains the Main Karokoram Thrust separating the metasediments (chlorite to amphibolite grade) on the Asian plate from the southern volcanoclastic rocks of the Kohistan-Ladakh island arc.
Skardu DistrictSkardu District is located at the confluence of river Indus and the Shyok river and makes the base camp for leading tourist destinations in Gilgit-Baltistan including K-2. The district is the best manifestation of hospitality and respect to tourist. People of Skardu can speak English and Urdu but their mother tongue is Balti. Of particular note, Kharpocho Fort, Manthal Rock (Buddha Rock), Sadpara and Kachura Lake, exquisite Shangile Lake and the most famous Deosai plateau. Shigar fort renovated on scientific lines while preserving the cultural and architectural values, presents a through learning of the history and culture on one hand while offers a comfortable stay in traditional room/suites on the other hand with continental and local food varieties.
Historical Perspective of Gilgit-Baltistan of Pakistan
Getting to Skardu
Heli RideThe perfect trip, for many, would be through the chartered helicopter ride having an aerial view of the mountains dressed in white, the lakes resting peacefully and the rivers taking away the water from melted glaciers. For more information regarding the costs and benefits of taking a Heli ride, visit www.askariaviation.com
Commercial AirlineSome may trust the national airliner with their commutation up north. It is guaranteed that if you manage to take the window seat, you won’t be able to blink your eye for a second due to the fear of missing a thing. It gives you an amazing aerial view with affordability. It is approximately a 75 minutes journey from Benazir Bhutto International Airport (Islamabad).
Bus RideNorthern Areas Transport Co. (NATCO) operates their commuter buses daily from Islamabad to Gilgit (tourists prefer spending a night or two at Gilgit, due to the tiring journey, before proceeding towards Skardu). From Gilgit, it is a 5 hours journey to Skardu. NATCO provides shuttle service from Islamabad to Skardu directly too. It is said to be a 25-30 hours journey (depending on traffic and weather conditions), but it usually takes more time. However, the whole tour is worth making an effort for. For bus schedules, visit www.natco.com.pk
By CarGoing to Skardu by Car sounds like an amazing adventure. It gives you independence and complete control of your journey. However, it is advised to proceed with a reliable 4×4 vehicle to avoid delays and risk. The distance to Skardu from Islamabad is calculated to be 637 KMs. It is a good idea to pre plan all your night stays and transits if going by road (especially if with family).It is a multipurpose project, which will produce 13 Megawatts hydro generation, irrigate 15,000 acres (61 km2) of land and also provide 13 cusecis drinking water daily to Skardu city.
Transfers from Skardu
- Skardu to Islamabad
- Skardu to Hushe:This is a transfer by Jeep takes about 6 hours to Hushe village which is starting point for trekking at different treks.
- Skardu to Askole:Askole is an other village which takes trekkers to treks in different directions it is about 5 hours drive by Jeep.
- Skardu to Shigar:2 hours drive from Skardu by jeep or by car
- Skardu to Khaplu:A 4 hours drive from Skardu by jeep or car the asphalt road is in good shape.
- Skardu to Rama:Drive to Rama the point in Deosai planes there is a PTDC motel for you to stay here. It takes about 6 hours by jeep.All above transfers are available any time for groups and individuals. For details please contact us.Tours In Skardu.
- Half Day Skardu:Visit the Puran Bazaar (Old Bazaar) Skardu , Polo Ground and then walk to the Dogra Fort built in Dgra times.
- Half Day Sadpara Lake & Sadpara Buddha Tour:Drive to Sadpara Buddha visit the the Buddha carved in the mountain, later visit Sadpara lake and take your time to absorb the beauty of this beautiful lake.
- Half Day Fishing In Sadpara Lake:Visit the lake and Relaex while fishing in the lake Fishing permit and Fishing gear provided.
- Full Day Khaplu:Drive by Jeep to Khaplu and Visit the picturesque Bazaar of Khaplu and Khaplu fort later drive to a Photo point and return to Skardu in the evening.
- Full Day Shigar Valley Tour:Drive to Shigar Valley via the scenic road Visit Shigar Fort resort and have Lunch there later drive back to Skardu.
- Full day Deosai Planes:Drive to Deosai and visit the remarkable Plateau at 4000m above sea level evening return to Skardu.
Deosai National Park
Kachura LakesThere are two Kachura lakes located in the district of Skardu, Gilgit Baltistan named as the Upper Kachura Lake and the Lower Kachura Lake. The lakes are at an elevation of 2500 meters and the distance between the two lakes is 8 km. Upper Kachura Lake: The Upper Kachura lake is located at a distance of 27.7 km from Skardu City and is approx an half hour drive. It is easily accessible on cars. It is a beautiful lake fresh clear blue water surrounded by huge mountains and wild trees covered with fruits mainly apricots. The temperature in summers can reach upto 20 C and in winters the lake is frozen. The main attractions of the Upper Kachura lake include its breathtaking scenery, trouting and mountain trekking.
Lower Kachura Lake
- Pagoda Restaurant: The Pagoda restaurant offers Chinese cuisine with chefs specially called in from China.
- Lake View Restaurant: The lake view restaurant holds a broad view of the resort.It offers continental and Pakistani cuisines.
- Tandoori Village: has a traditional theme with ancient old recipes and traditional food e.g chicken tikka , seekh kababs, fish etc. The restaurant has an impressive ambiance with food served outdoors under the stars
Stak Nala Stak Valley
Buddha CarvingsThere is a huge Buddha rock stature surrounded by miniature rock carvings. The rocks are located on the sadpara road 3 km away from the sadpara nullah. The rock carving could be dated back to 8th century AD. The carvings have attracted a number of researchers who say that it dates back to the great Tibetan empire. The researchers say that the drawings are of stupas and the experiences of the people. Moreover the language written in the texts is the kharoshti language of Buddhist people of khandara. Due to all these factors it is a major attraction for history enthusiasts.
K2 Base Camp
Shigar ValleyThe Shigar Valley is situated in Baltistan which is watered by Shigar river. The valleys stretch about 165kms from Askole to Skardu. The tropical terrain of the valley makes it enjoyable for people who are interested in Jeep Safari. People visiting Shigar valley can enjoy Horse Safari and Camel Safari. Certain tours of Horse Safari are available in Shigar valley where tourists can visit all the important attractions of the place on horse. Ambrique Mosque is situated in the heart of Shigar valley. It is a small mosque made up of wood and the mosque was built in the 18th century. The terraces of the valley are filled with Maize, Wheat and Barley and the Orchards, which are known as the identity of Baltistan, are filled with Apricots, Peaches, Plums and Apples.
Colleges and Universities in SkarduSakardu is the Major City of Baltistan and is the capital of Sakardu District which is located in the Baltistan region. Although some educational institutions are offering their services to educate the entire community but the literacy rate is not quite satisfactory. Colleges/Universities in Sakardu such as Cadet College Skardu are offering diverse courses for the students. The students who are located in Sakardu and want to get the admission for their career education then they can choose their aspiration.Among the list of colleges/Universities in Sakardu the educational institutions are offering leading educational services for the students. Numerous other educational government and private institutions are also certifying their role in education zone to develop the vigorous nation Colleges/Universities in Sakardu are offering their unique educational services for the students to build the healthy sound mind nation. You can see the list of educational institutes from here just in one place.
List of Schools in SkarduList of Schools in Skardu سکردو میں اسکولوں کی فہرست
- Army Public School and College
- In Gilgit City
- Public School And College
- Army Public School And College
- Al Muatafa Public School And Degree College
- Beacon Academic System Kowardu
- Priston College Skardu
Hotels and Guesthouse
- Karakoram Inn (+92-5831-55483)
- Concordia – II (+92-5815-452582)
- Hunza Inn (+254-20-2842-000)
- Baltistan Tourist Cottage (+92 583152707)
- Baltoro Rest House (+92 05752707)
- Northern Areas PWD Rest House (+92 05752707)
- Yak n Yurt Sarai (+92 05752856)
- Skardu Inn
- Indus Hotel
- Hotel & Restaurant Dewan-E-Khas (www.dewanekhas.com.pk)
- Shangrila Resort (Shangrila Kachura) (www.shangrilaresorts.com.pk)
- Shigar Fort Residence (www.Shigarfort.com)
- K-2 Motel
- Mashabrum Hotel
Things to do in Skardu
- Mountaineering, Trekking and Hiking
- Flora & Fauna
- Skardu Wildlife
- Walking tours to Narsok (Pure Spring)