Era of Mughal EmperorSheikhupura was constructed in 1607. It was one of Mughal Emperor Nor-u-Din Muhammad Jahangir's princely dominions during his father Akbar's reign. It is also called Qila Sheikhupura because of a historical fort constructed by Jahangir. Emperor Jahangir, whose nick name was Sheikhu, laid the foundation of Jahangirpura. Afterwards the city was named Sheikhupura.Just north of Sheikhupura lies a hunting complex, a landmark of Mughal architecture... a Minaret of Antelope on the bank of an artificial lake here known as Hiran Minar. Hiran Minar is one of the best known and beautiful sites. During Emperor Jahangir’s reign, Sheikhupura had the status of royal hunting ground. Sheikhu (Emperor Jahangir), who was a great patron of architecture and apparent lover of wild life, used to come here frequently from Lahore for hunting & to relax. He captured a unique Deer named Mansraj, within one month the deer left his jungle habits and soon became the king of the Royal Deer. In the love of his darling pet Deer, Sheikhu ordered that no more wild deer will be hunted. In 1606, in memory of his departed Mansraj, a Minaret and a mausoleum were built here.
From1605 to 1627
In the middle 18th centuryIn the middle of the 18th century, Sikhs were ruling this area. In the last decade of the 18th century, Arbail Sigh and Amer Singh were the rulers of Sheikhupura. Both of these were involved in robberies in this area. People from Sheikhupura requested Maharajah Ranjeet Singh to defeat them which the maharaja accepted. In the end both Arbial and Amer singh were forced to evacuate the Sheikhupura Fort and all their property were taken by the Maharajah. After this win, the Maharajah gave this area to Khawar Karrak Singh. After the death of Karrak Singh (1840), Rani Jandah became the ruler. She was a very clever woman. She went to under surveillance by the English in August 1847 along with her brother in Sheikhupura Fort.
After British rule
From 1924 to 1940In 1924, in the meeting of Municipal Committee, its was decided to construct a new town between the Civil Quarters and Civil Hospital. This newly constructed town was named as Gurunanakpura which was replaced with Jinnah Park after Partition. In 1930, Muslim league was introduced here. In November-December 1931, the city was provided with the electricity. In the 21st annual meeting of Muslim League held on March 22, 1940, seven people represented the District Sheikhupura in the meeting.
Bounderies of Sheikhupura
- Nankana Sahib
- Sheikh Salim Chishti, Sufi saint of the Chishti Order during the Mughal Empire
- Jahangir, Fourth Mughal Emperor, ruled from 1605-1627
- Waris Shah, A Great Punjabi Sufi Poet
- Zulfiqar Ahmad Dhillon, retired brigadier in the Pakistani army
- Zaka Ullah Bhangoo, Pakistani army aviator
- Aaqib Javed played as fast bowler for Pakistan cricket team.
- Muhammad Javed Buttar, is a former justice of Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Choudhry Bilal Ahmed, politician
- Kulwant Singh Virk, author
- Nawab Kapur Singh, one of the pivotal figures of the Sikh Confederacy and founder of the Singhpuria Misl.
- Mohammad Asif a right arm medium fast bowler in cricket
- Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, player for the Pakistan National Cricket Team