Early Life and Background
ParentsHer father Sheikh Obaid (late) was a famous businessman of Karachi. Her mother’s name is Saba Obaid. Her mother’s social circle is very vast. There was news circulating that her mother Saba Obaid owns company in Panama and it is revealed in famous Panama Papers. Sharmeen clarifies it and said that this is propaganda against our family.
Married LifeShe is proudly married to a famous businessman Fahad Kamal Chinoy. She feels very lucky to have Fahad as her husband. Firstly she was married to Tariq Aman Chinnoy but divorced after sometime.
ChildrenSharmeen is blessed with a daughter named Amelia Chinoy.
SiblingsSharmeen has one sister. Her name is Mahjabeen Obaid.
Career in Film Making
- Reinventing the Taliban Released in 2003
- On a Razor’s Edge Released in 2004
- Women of the Holy Kingdom Released in 2005
- Pakistan’s Double Game Released in 2005
- Highway of Tears Released in 2006
- City of Guilt Released in 2006
- Cold Comfort Released in 2006
- The New Apartheid Released in 2006
- Assimilation No, Integration Yes Released in 2006
- Afghanistan Unveiled Released in 2007
- Birth of a Nation Released in 2007
- Iraq the Lost Generation Released in 2008
- Pakistan’s Lost Generation Released in 2009
- Transgender: Pakistan’s Open Secret Released in 2010
- Saving Face Released in 2012
- Humaira: The Dream Catcher Released in 2013
- Seeds of Change Released in 2014
- Aghaz e Safar Released in 2014
- 3 Bahadur Released in 2015
- A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness Released in 2015
- Song of Lahore Released in 2015
Only Oscar Winner of Pakistan Saving FaceSaving Face is a documentary movie made by Sharmeen in 2012.Story was about acid attacks on women in Pakistan . The film was basically inspired from story of Fakhra Younus. Fakhra committed suicide in 2012.This movie has won 2012 Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject making movie’s director first Oscar Award Winner of Pakistan . Film was distributed by famous HBO Documentary Films. This film has also assisted in the trial and conviction of one perpetrator of acid violence.
Another Oscar for Sharmeen A Girl in the River The Price of ForgivenessThis is a short film based on the story of honor killings in Pakistan . This is one of the most disgusting issues in our country. It was produced by Tina Brown and Sheila Nevins. Movie was shortlisted with other 10 documentaries from 74 entries. Its story based on the life of eighteen year old girl who survived an honor killing attempted by her father and uncle. It was distributed by famous HBO Films.
- One World Media Awards (2007)
- Oscar Award (2012 & 2016) Best Documentary (Short Film Saving Face & A Girl in the River)
- Government of Pakistan (2012) Tamgha-i-Imtiaz
- Lux Style Awards (2012) Lux Style Achievement Awards
Upcoming ProjectsShe is working on number of wonderful projects. Her famous documentary series “Sulagta Sitar” is going to release at the end of 2016.
As AmbassadorSharmeen is also serving as ambassador for blood safety for Pakistan’s National Blood Safety Program.
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.