Shahid Khaqan Abbasi (Born 27 December 1958 ) is a Pakistani entrepreneur, electrical engineer, served Federal Minister for Petroleum & Natural Resources of Pakistan and a politician. He served as the Federal Minister for Commerce in 2008.Abbasi is the Founder and CEO of Airblue. Leaders Delegation
Sadia Khaqan Abbasi
Sadia Khaqan Abbasi
Senator Sadia Abbasi is a Pakistani politician. She is the sister of present prime minister of Pakistan Mr Shahid Khaqan Abbasi
. Ms. Saadia Abbasi is Barrister at Law and Member Senate of Pakistan. Having received her education from world renowned educational institutions of United States and United Kingdom in Law and Political Science, she is a fervent advocate of all-round political, economic and social reform. She is member of Policy Planning Wing of Government of Pakistan
and frequently expresses her conviction and vision on intellectual forums and press with the diversity and depth of her knowledge.  Profile
Abbasi was born on 27 December 1958 in Karachi, Pakistan to Khaqan Abbasi.
Abbasi studied at the Lawrence College in Murree. In 1978, Abbasi attended the University of California, Los Angeles to study electrical engineering from where he attained Bachelor of Science. In 1985, he attended the George Washington University where he gained master's degree in electrical engineering, and qualified for the professional engineer certificate. Education
After graduating from the George Washington University, Abbasi worked as professional engineer for the various projects in the United States before moving to Saudi Arabia to perform engineering works for various energy projects in Saudi oil industry.
In 2003, Abbasi founded Airblue Limited where he served as its first chairman until 2007. Later he became a chief operating officer of the airline. Reportedly, Abbasi is the owner of the airline but he denies it saying that he had no shareholding in Airblue Limited and had not visited its office for over two years. Professional Career
- Abbasi was elected to the National Assembly of Pakistan for this first time from Rawalpindi constituency in Pakistani general elections, 1988 after the death of his father Khaqan Abbasi who was the then Federal Minister for Production.
- He was re-elected to the National Assembly from Rawalpindi constituency in Pakistani general elections, 1990 and made Parliamentary Secretary for Defence. He was re-elected to the National Assembly for the third time from Rawalpindi constituency in Pakistani general elections, 1993 during which he performed his duties as the Chairman of the Standing Committee of National Assembly on Defense.
- He was re-elected to the National Assembly for the fourth time as a candidate of Pakistan Muslim League (N) from Rawalpindi constituency in Pakistani general elections, 1997 and appointed as the Chairman of the Pakistan International Airlines where he served until 1999 Pakistani coup d'état in which then Chief of Army Staff, Pervez Musharraf, overthrew elected Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his existing elected government. Abbasi was arrested and his tenure was terminated. He remained in jail for two years and was acquitted by the court in 2001.
- He ran for the seat of the National Assembly as a candidate of PML-N in Pakistani general elections, 2002, but was unsuccessful for the first time after he lost to a candidate of Pakistan Peoples Party.
- He was re-elected to the National Assembly for the fifth time as a candidate of PML-N from Constituency NA-50 (Rawalpindi) in Pakistani general elections, 2008, and briefly held the cabinet portfolio as Federal Minister for Commerce along with the additional portfolio of Federal Minister for Defence Production in the Gillani ministry in 2008 however, his tenure was short-lived due to PML-N's decision to leave the Pakistan Peoples Party led coalition government.
- Abbasi was re-elected to the National Assembly from Constituency NA-50 (Rawalpindi) for the sixth time as a cadidiate of PML-N in Pakistani general elections, 2013. Upon PML-N victory in the 2013 national election, he was inducted into the federal cabinet and was appointed as the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Resources.
- On July 2017, he had ceased to hold ministerial office when the federal cabinet was disbanded following the resignation of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif after Panama Papers case decision. A day later, he was named as the interim Prime Minister of Pakistan. He will hold the post of Prime Ministership for 45 days. Political Career
General Election 2002-2008
In Pakistani general elections, 2002, he lost to Murtaza Satti of the Pakistan People Party for the first time. In 2003, Abbasi founded airblue where he served as its first chairman until 2007. Later he became chief operating officer of the airline. Reportedly, Abbasi is the owner of the airline but he denies it saying that he had no shareholding in Airblue and had not visited its office for over two years. The tribune
In Pakistani general elections, 2008, he was re-elected as the member of the National Assembly for the fifth time and briefly held the cabinet portfolio as Minister for Commerce and Minister for Defence Production in the Gillani ministry in 2008 however, his tenure was short-lived due to PML-N's decision to leave the Pakistan Peoples Party led collation government. The dawn, Ministry
In Pakistani general elections, 2013, Abbasi re-elected as member of the National Assembly from constituency NA-50 for the sixth time on the PML-N seat. Upon PML-N victory in the 2013 general elections, he was appointed as Minister of Petroleum and Natural Resources. PML_N Triumphs, Tribune
He won the general elections in:
Federal Minister of Commerce
He was then made the Federal Minister of Commerce in the Yousaf Raza Gillani cabinet
. He resigned. Federal Minister of Commerce
Family and Personal Life
Abbasi belongs to a family from Kahuta. However he hails from Dewal village. He belongs to the Dhund Abbasi clan, which is predominant in northern Punjab.
Abbasi is married and has three sons. His father, Khaqan Abbasi, was an air commodore in the Pakistan Air Force. He entered politics and became Member of the National Assembly and was inducted as the Federal Minister for Production in the cabinet of Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, until his death in 1988 at Ojhri Camp – a military accident that resulted in more than 100 casualties. His brother, Zahid Abbasi, was also injured in that incident after which he went into coma and died in 2005, having remained bedridden for 17 years. His sister Sadia Abbasi has been a member of the Senate of Pakistan.His father-in-law, General Muhammad Riaz Abbasi, was the director-general of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) from 1977 to 1979.
Abbasi is a businessman and a known aviation expert in Pakistan. Reportedly, he is the owner of Airblue which he founded in 2003 however he has denied being a current stakeholder, saying he has not visited the airline's office for years.He is one of the richest parliamentarians in Pakistan,with a net worth of ₨1.3 billion (US$12 million) to ₨2.3 billion (US$22 million).His assets include shares in Airblue, a house in Islamabad, a restaurant business, and land properties in Murree.He is also an aviation enthusiast and an amateur skydiver.He is the first Prime Minister of Pakistan to participate in a Pakistan Air Force mission and fly in a F-16 Fighting Falcon. According to DAWN, he is a reserved and media-shy person. Family and Personal Life
Pakistans First PM to Fly Military Helicopter
Pakistan's first PM to fly military helicopter
23 Oct 2017 - Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi on Sunday took the Turkish attack helicopter T-129 for a test flight, becoming the first Pakistani premier to fly a military helicopterAfter talking to Pakistani and Turkish media following the test-flight of T-129 helicopter, Abbasi said Turkey's defence production industry was one of the best in the world and second to none.Answering a question about Pakistan's plan of purchasing T-129 helicopters, Abbasi said, our army is evaluating the helicopter, and we are negotiating the contract and terms.The prime minister also inspected the helicopter, where he was briefed by the Turkish aviation officials about the specifications and technical parameters of the combat chopper. First PM to Fly Military Helicopter
First Pakistani PM to Sail a Submarine
PM sailing in Pakistan Navy submarine PN Saad
24 Dec 2017 - Shahid Khaqan Abbasi became the first Prime minister of Pakistan who boarded, sailed and dived on a submarine. PM Abbasi also witnessed Pakistan Navy’s
display of power on his visit to the Jinnah Naval Base Ormara.The Prime Minister devoted his full day to witness the operational preparedness of Pakistan Navy.Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi and senior naval officials also accompanied the PM.The Prime Minister set sail onboard Pakistan Navy Submarine SAAD in North Arabian Sea. Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi also accompanied the Premier during his maiden voyage onboard the submarine. The Prime Minister also conducted submarine diving and surfacing procedures.During his visit onboard the submarine, Prime Minister was briefed about history of Pakistan Navy submarine force and achievements made by this elite force during 1965 and 1971 wars. First Pakistani PM to Sail a Submarine
Winner of NA 124
Shahid Khaqan Abbasi who lost the General Elections of 2018 has won the by Elections which held on 14th October 2018 with a maximum votes. The former Prime Minister of Pakistan succeeded to gather 75012 votes from NA 124 while his opponent Ghulam Mohiuddin managed to gather only 30456 votes. Shahid khaqan won this battle with almost 45000 votes.
Created By: Waqas Arshad
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks