BiographyRaja Zafar ul Haq is the son of Raja Fazal Dad Khan and was born in Matore. He got his early education in his village school and due to the postings of his father to various cities he studied in various cities and did his matric from a high school in Sialkot. He graduated from Government College, Lahore in 1956 and did Masters afterwards from University of Punjab and LLB from Punjab Law College in 1958.
FamilyHis father Raja Fazal Dad Khan was a career police officer. He had four sisters, two of them have passed away. He has two sons, elder one is an engineer while younger son, Raja Muhammad Ali is also active in politics from the platform of PMLN and a former MPA from PP-2.
Professional CareerRaja Muhammad Zafar ul Haq started his career in 1958 from SM Zafar Law Associates, Lahore but soon shifted to Rawalpindi and practiced law till 1981. And again from 1987 to-date as an advocate of Supreme Court of Pakistan.
Political CareerHe was appointed as general secretary of Pakistan Muslim League in Rawalpindi district from 1963 to 1971 and that’s how he began his career. He served as the Senate’s opposition leader from May 1994 – 1996, and later, was chosen as the leader of the House in Senate of Pakistan in 1997– 99. He was additionally delegated as government serve for Religious Affairs in July 1997 – October 1999. He was re-chosen as the secretary general of Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami, in 1997, 2002 and 2007. In 2009 he was chosen to the Pakistani Senate for a six-year term. He served as the leader of the Independent Opposition Group (comprising of more than 6 parliamentary gatherings) in the Senate of Pakistan in 2009.
Served asHe is served as the following services:
- Practised Law from 1958 to 1981 and from 1987 to-date as Advocate Supreme Court
- Elected President Rawalpindi Bar Association 1977-78. Elected Vice President High Court Bar 1981
- Placed on the Panel of Experts for Pakistan Law Commission
- Minister for Information & Broadcasting and Religious Affairs 1981-85
- Served Ambassador of Pakistan to Egypt 1985-86
- Political Adviser to the Prime Minister of Pakistan with the status of a Federal Minister 1986-87
- Represented Pakistan in the United Nations General Assembly in the 45th Session in 1990-91
- Elected Member of Pakistan Senate in 1991 for a term of six years
- Elected Chairman, Standing Committee on Law and Religious Affairs of the Senate 1991-94
- Appointed Member Board of Trustees, Islamic International University, Islamabad in 1992-97
- Elected Secretary General, Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islam (World Muslim Congress) in 1992. The oldest International Organization of Muslims, established in 1926 which is a Class-I Consultative Status Observer with the UN and its allied bodies and Observer Status with the O.I.C
- Elected Leader of the Opposition, Senate of Pakistan from May 1994-1996
- Elected Leader of the House, Senate of Pakistan in 1997-99
- Appointed Federal Minister for Religious Affairs in July 1997-October 99
- Re-elected Secretary General, Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami in 1997-2002
- Elected Chairman, Pakistan Muslim League (N) 2000-todate
- Again elected Secretary General, Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami in December 2002 for another five years
- Re-elected Secretary General of Motamar 2007-2012
- Elected Member of the Senate 2009-2015 term
- Elected Leader of the (Six Parties) Independent Opposition Group 2009
PML-N Nominated for Senate ChairmanPML-N is now mulling to nominate Raja Zafarul Haq as Chairman Senate after Nawaz Sharif’s offer for a joint candidate was shot down by Asif Zardari.Nawaz had conveyed to the PPP leadership that if Raza Rabbani is nominated for the office, PML-N would support it but Zardari quickly turned down the offer saying ‘he doesn’t want that’.While the jockeying to grab the Senate top slot continues, both PPP and PML-N have intensified their efforts to woo independents and smaller parties towards them.Despite being the largest party after the 03 March 2018 Senate polls, PML-N has not been able to gain the support of enough senators to get his chairman elected. However, on the other hand PPP co-chairman win over Balochistan senators during a meeting with CM Quddus Bizenjo.
Lost the Senate Chairman SeatOpposition backed candidate for Chairman Senate Sadiq Sanjrani has been elected as he got 57 votes from the 103 polls that were cast today. PML-N's Raja Zafarul Haq bagged 46 votes.Soon after the results were announced by the presiding officer, the House erupted into pro-Zardari slogans.Sanjrani, then took oath from Sardar Yaqoob and assumed his office. Afterwards, newly elected chairman announced to start the process for election of deputy chairman.
Visited CountriesVisited the following countries to attend International Conferences:
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- Ivory Coast
- Sri Lanka
- Office Number: +92 51 9223453-4
- Home Number: +92 51 9252121
- Mobile Number: +92 333 5451515
- Fax Number: +9 51 891616
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Local Address: H.No.36, St-39, G-7/4, Islamabad
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.