Childhood Early Life
- Noor Jehan was born as Allah Rakhi Wasai on 21 September 1926, in Kasur, Punjab, British India, into a large Muslim family as one of eleven children. Her parents, Madad Ali and Fateh Bibi, were professional musicians.
- Her parents encouraged the children to sing from an early age, and Allah Rakhi especially seemed to have been blessed with a special talent. She started singing when she was around five and her mother immediately recognized the potential her daughter possessed and arranged for her to receive early training in classical singing under Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan.
- She was instructed in the traditions of the Patiala Gharana of Hindustani classical music and the classical forms of thumri, dhrupad, and khyal by Khan, and displayed considerable versatility in her singing styles.
- She made her first stage appearance at the age of six in the city of Calcutta for stage director Diwan Sardari Lal with the stage name of Baby Noor Jehan. A few years later she caught the attention of Punjabi musician Ghulam Ahmed Chishti for whom she sang in 1935.
- During the 1930s her entire family moved to Calcutta in the hope that their daughters might get chance to embark on film careers. Theatre owner Diwan Sardari Lal introduced the family to several producers. Noor Jehan, along with her sisters appeared in the K.D. Mehra directed Punjabi movie ‘Pind di Kuri’ in 1935.
- Film offers started pouring in for the emerging singer cum actress and she next acted in a film called ‘Missar Ka Sitara’ (1936). Jehan also played the child role of Heer in the film ‘Heer-Sayyal’ (1937). All the Punjabi movies she acted in and sang for were made in Calcutta.
- Noor Jehan moved to Lahore in 1938, and her career touched newer heights. The famed music director Ghulam Haider became her mentor and composed songs for her to sing. This helped her tremendously in establishing herself in her singing career.
- She was greatly interestedly in pursuing an acting career as well. She played her first adult role in 1942 when she acted as the main lead opposite Pran in ‘Khandaan’. The film became a major hit prompting her to shift her base to Mumbai with director Syed Shaukat Hussain Rizvi who she later mater.
- When the partition of India happened in 1947, Jehan decided to move to Pakistan and settled in Karachi with her family. The initial years following the partition were very difficult for her though she was determined to rebuild her career. She got her first big break in Pakistan in 1951 when she appeared in the film, ‘Chan Wey’, opposite Santosh Kumar. She also directed this film along with her husband, becoming Pakistan's first female director.
- She remained busy with her family over the next few years during which her marriage unraveled and ended in divorce. However, her career flourished during the 1950s and she acted in and sang for many hit films, the most notable one being ‘Intezar’ (1956) in which she portrayed a blind singer. It went on to become one of her biggest hits.
- Noor Jehan married for the second time in 1959.
- She continued singling throughout the 1970s and 1980s, but the later phase of her career was somewhat disappointing. She gave her final contribution to music with the Punjabi song ‘Ki Dam Da Bharosa Yaar’ in ‘Sakhi Badshah’ (1996).
- Her film ‘Khandaan’, in which she starred opposite Pran was her first major hit which established her as a much sought after actress cum singer. She portrayed the role of Zeenat in the film which was primarily a musical about a man seduced by a gold-digging woman.
- Her role as a blind singer in the 1956 film ‘Intezar’ was a much appreciated one. She sang some of her most memorable songs for this film including ‘Chand Hanse Duniya Base’, ‘Aa Bhi Ja’, ‘O Janewale R’e and ‘Jis Din Se Piya Dil Le Gaye’. Prominent Indian singer Lata Mangeshkar once said that ‘Intezar’ was one of her favorite Pakistani music scores.
- She was the recipient of several prestigious awards, including the Pride of Performance which was bestowed upon her by the Government of Pakistan in 1965.
Personal Life Legacy
- Her first marriage was with Shaukat Hussain Rizvi in 1942. The couple had three children and divorced in 1953.
- She married Ejaz Durrani in 1959. Her second marriage produced three more children and also ended in divorce.
- She suffered from heart problems and was diagnosed with angina pectoris after which she underwent a surgery to install a pacemaker. She died on 23 December 2000, as a result of heart failure.
List of Movies
|1942||Khandan -Second Highest Grossing Indian Film of 1942|
|1943||Naukar - Fifth Highest Grossing Indian Film of 1943|
|1945||Zeenat - Highest Grossing Indian Film of 1945|
|1945||Gaon Ki Gori - Second Highest Indian Grossing Film of 1945|
|1945||Badi Maa - Third Highest Grossing Indian Film of 1945|
|1946||Anmol Ghadi - Highest Grossing Indian Film of 1946 (with Surendra (actor))|
|1947||Mirza Sahibaan - Fourth Highest Grossing Indian Film of 1947|
|1947||Jugnu - Highest Grossing Indian Film of 1947 (with Dilip Kumar)|
|1951||Chan Wey - First Film in Pakistan, Biggest Hit of 1951|
|1952||Dopatta - Biggest Hit of 1952 in Pakistan|
|1956||Lakt-e-Jigar (released 17 February 1956)|
|1956||Intezar (released 12 May 1956)|
|1957||Nooran (released 30 May 1957)|
|1958||Anarkali (released 6 June 1958)|
|1959||Neend (released 16 October 1959)|
|1959||Koel (released 24 December 1959)|
|1961||Mirza Ghalib (released 24 November 1961)|
List ofSong1951 1960
|Nache jia re chhama chham nache jia re||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan, Chorus||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Baat hi baat mein ji chandni raat mein||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Main ban patang urh jaon re||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Chandni raaten, sab jagg soye||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Tum zindagi ko gham ka fasana||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Mere mann ke raja aja||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Jigar ki aag se is dil ko jalta dekhte jao||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Sanwaria, tohe koi pukare, aja re||Dopatta||1952||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi / Arsh Lakhnavi|
|Lo chal diye woh ham ko tasalli diye bagheir||Gulnaar||1953||Noor Jehan||Ghulam Haider||Qatil Shifai|
|Bachpan ki yaadgaro||Gulnaar||1953||Noor Jehan||Ghulam Haider||Qatil Shifai|
|Ae raat zara tham tham ke guzar||Gulnaar||1953||Noor Jehan||Ghulam Haider||Qatil Shifai|
|Sakhi naheen aaye mere balma||Gulnaar||1953||Noor Jehan||Ghulam Haider||Qatil Shifai|
|Chanda ki nagri sey aaja ri nindiya||Lakht-e-Jigar||1956||Noor Jehan||G.A. Chisthi||Mushir Kazmi, Nazim Panipati, Hazeen Qadri|
|Woh khwab sohana toot geya||Lakht-e-Jigar||1956||Noor Jehan||G.A. Chisthi||Mushir Kazmi, Nazim Panipati, Hazeen Qadri|
|Aa haal dekh le mera||Lakht-e-Jigar||1956||Noor Jehan||G.A. Chisthi||Mushir Kazmi, Nazim Panipati, Hazeen Qadri|
|Aaj ham be aasro ko||Lakht-e-Jigar||1956||Noor Jehan||G.A. Chisthi||Mushir Kazmi, Nazim Panipati, Hazeen Qadri|
|Aahen tarap raheen hain||Lakht-e-Jigar||1956||Noor Jehan||G.A. Chisthi||Mushir Kazmi, Nazim Panipati, Hazeen Qadri|
|Chanda re Chanda||Lakht-e-Jigar||1956||Noor Jehan, Chorus||G.A. Chisthi||Mushir Kazmi, Nazim Panipati, Hazeen Qadri|
|Rakh sada anjaam par||Lakht-e-Jigar||1956||Noor Jehan, Salim Raza||G.A. Chisthi||Mushir Kazmi, Nazim Panipati, Hazeen Qadri|
|Jis din se piya dil le gaye dukh de gaye||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|O jane wale re thehro zara ruk jayo||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|Chand hanse duniya base roye mera pyar ho||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|Ghazab kiya tere waade peh etbaar kiya||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|Sanwan ki ghanghor ghattao||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan, Chorus||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|Aa gaye ghar aa gaye||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan, Chorus||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|Chhunn chhunn naachoon gi||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|Aankh se aankh mila le||Intezar||1956||Noor Jehan, Chorus||Khurshid Anwar||Qatil Shifai/Tufail Hushyarpuri|
|Kesa nasib lai thi||Jaan-e-Bahaar||1958||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai|
|Na aansu bahe thay||Jaan-e-Bahaar||1958||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai|
|Kahaan tak suno ge kahaan tak sunaoon||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Inayat Hussain||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Banwri chakori kare duniya se chori chroi||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Bewafa, ham na bhoole tumein||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Inayat Hussain||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Keya jane keya armaan lekar||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Pehle to apne dil ki ada jaan jeyie||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Sada hoon apney pyar ki||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Tumhari aarzoo mein koocha-e-qatil||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Jalte hain armaan mera dil rota hai||Anarkali||1958||Noor Jehan||Inayat Hussain||Qatil Shifai/Saif-uddin-Saif/Tufail Hushyarpuri/Tanvir Naqvi/Hakim|
|Dil ka diya jalaya main ne||Koel||1959||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Tanvir Naqvi|
|Mehki fazaein, gaati hawaein||Koel||1959||Noor Jehan, Chorus||Khurshid Anwar||Tanvir Naqvi|
|Rim jhim rim jhim pare phawar||Koel||1959||Noor Jehan, Munir Hussain||Khurshid Anwar||Tanvir Naqvi|
|Tere bina sooni soon lage re…||Koel||1959||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Tanvir Naqvi|
|Sagar roye lehrein shor machayein||Koel||1959||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Tanvir Naqvi|
|O bewafa main ne tujh se pyar kiyoon kiya||Koel||1959||Noor Jehan||Khurshid Anwar||Tanvir Naqvi|
|Tere dar par sannam chale aaye||Neend||1959||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Tanvir Naqvi|
|Chhan chhan chhan baje Payal baje||Neend||1959||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Tanvir Naqvi|
|Aa geyi raat na aaye sanwaria||Neend||1959||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Tanvir Naqvi|
|Akeli kahiin matt jana jamaana najuk hai||Neend||1959||Noor Jehan, Zubaida Khanum, Naseem Begum, Chorus||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Tanvir Naqvi|
|Jiya Dharke Sakhi Ri||Neend||1959||Noor Jehan, Naseem Begum, Chorus||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Tanvir Naqvi|
|Jo mein aisa jaanti (Title song)||Neend||1959||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Qatil Shifai/Tanvir Naqvi|
|Kal nahin paoon main||Manzil||1960||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi|
|Aa aa tu mera hai mein teri||Manzil||1960||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi|
|Soi soi chandni hai||Manzil||1960||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi|
|Din Dhalte dhalte||Manzil||1960||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi|
|Nach raha mann||Manzil||1960||Noor Jehan||Feroze Nizami||Mushir Kazmi|
|Zindagi Hai Ya Kissi Ka Intezaar||Salma||1960||Noor Jehan||Rashid Attre||Tanvir Naqvi|