- Beef or Chicken 1 kg (boiled)
- Onion 1
- Lemon 2
- Green chili 6
- Oil 1 cup
- Coriander leaves ½ bunch
- Mint leaves ½ bunch
- Dry ginger powder 1 tsp
- All spice powder 1 tsp
- Chili powder 2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 2 tsp
- Wheat flour 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
How to Make Nehari
Traditional nihari recipes call for 6–8 hours of cooking time, in addition to the preparation of the ingredients. This is much less common today with the use of tenderer cuts of meat such as sirloin or shank. Traditionally the dish is eaten in the early hours of the morning. Because the stew is so rich, one is supposed to have an extended nap until the afternoon Muslim Zhuhr prayers, which occur after midday. Nihari can also be cooked in a pressure cooker in order to save time. The nihari ingredients are now also available ready-mixed and packaged.
Recipe Of Nihari
- In a pan, roast cumin seeds, star anise, nutmeg, mace, fennel seeds and dry ginger powder.
- Now grind the roasted spices well.
- Now add in chili powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds, all spice powder and salt.
- Mix well and divide the mixture in two parts.
- Heat oil in pan, add ginger garlic paste and fry.
- Mix spice mixture and coriander powder in 1 cup water and add to the oil.
- Fry well. Add boiled beef or Chicken and fry.
- Now add stock and cook well till the mixture starts boiling.
- Now roast wheat flour and dissolve in some water.
- Put wheat mixture to the pan while moving spoon and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Now turn the flame off.
- In other pan heat ½ cup oil, add chopped onion and remaining roasted spice mixture.
- Pour this on top of Nihari.
- Serve with lemon cut into halves, chopped green chilies, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
Created By: Zaid Ijaz
Edit By: nonePakpedia