Family and EducationShah was born on April 15, 1929, in Lahore. His father Syed Mohsin Shah was an advocate and political activist. He did his LLB from the Punjab University in 1949 and MA in political science from the Government College, Lahore, in 1951. The former chief justice earned his Doctorate in Jurisprudence “Docteur-en-Droit” from University of Paris (Sorbonne) and a Doctorate in Political Science from Institute Des Hautes Etudes Internationales of University of Paris in 1954.
West Pakistan Bar Council
Appointed as a High Court JudgeHe was appointed as a high court judge at the age of 39 and was elevated to the apex court in 1977, making him the youngest justice in the history of the Supreme Court and the longest serving judge in the country’s history. Shah also had a brief stint as the president of Pakistan Cricket Board between 1993 and 1994.
Appointed As Chief Justice of Pakistan
History of the Country
The Citizens Media Commission Of PakistanDr. Nasim Hasan Shah Was The Founding Chairman Of The Commission
Pakistan Cricket Board PresidentJustice Nasim Hasan Shah has remained President of the Board between 1993 and 1994 and during his tenure an ad-hoc committee was placed on the Karachi City Cricket Association (KCCA) whose affiliation with the Board had been suspended after the shock confession in a television interview by Dr Nasim Hasan Shah, a member of the Supreme Court bench which rejected Zulfikar Ali Bhutto’s appeal, that he had joined the rejectionists under pressure. The decision led to the execution of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.
- Named “Man of the Decade” for services to Democracy and Rule of Law by the American Pakistan Alliance, Washington D.C. 26 September 1993
- Named as one of Pakistan’s nominees on the Permanent Court of Arbitration at the Hague in 1959 and continued till 1977
- Worked as Editor Supreme Court Reports from 1960 to 1963
- Elected as Member of the West Pakistan Bar Council in 1964 and of the Pakistan Bar Council in 1966
- Elevated as Judge of the High Court of West Pakistan on 11 March 1968
- Appointed Judge (Ad-hoc) Supreme Court of Pakistan on 18 May 1977 being the YOUNGEST in history of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. Made permanent Judge of the Supreme Court on 14 June 1979
- Elected President SAARC LAW (Pakistan) January 1992 and President SAARC LAW for entire Saarc Region (1993–1995), Patron Saarc Law: 1997
- President of B.C.C.P. 1992 to 1994
- Appointed Chief Justice of Pakistan and Chairman Pakistan Law Commission on 26 April 1993.
- Elected President “Markazzia Majilis-i-Iqbal” (The Central Iqbal Committee): 21 April 1994
- Elected President “ Quaid-e-Azam Forum” 3 June 1994
- Elected Chairman Electric Power Forum, 1996
- Elected President Old Ravians Association, 1997
- Appointed Visiting Professor at the Kulliyah of Laws, International Islamic University Malaysia to deliver a course of lectures on the Islamisation of Laws in Pakistan (1997)
- Designated Founding Chairman of The Citizens Media Commission, 1998
- Elected President of Anjuman-i-Himayat-i-Islam (Association for the Service of Islam),1998.
DeathFormer Chief Justice of Pakistan Nasim Hasan Shah passed away on Tuesday 3 February 2015 in Lahore after a prolonged illness. He was 86.Funeral prayers of Shah was offered at 58-D, Sir Syed Road, Gulberg-III, at 9am. Pakistan Bar Council Vice Chairman Azam Nazir Tarar said Dr Shah was a great man who overcame his disability and earned a good career. He was a role model for others, Azam Nazir said.
Chairman Azhar Siddique saidActivism Penal Chairman Azhar Siddique said that Dr Nasim Hasan Shah was one of the legends of legal fraternity. He always worked for the rule of law and supremacy of the Constitution. Azhar Siddique, however, said Dr Shah’s decision in Zulfikar Ali Bhutto’s case was against the norms of justice, adding the deceased himself had admitted negation of right to free trial in that case, which had become part of the Constitution through Article 10-A of the 18th Constitutional Amendment.
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.