- Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Add salt and flour. Mix thoroughly
- Put in a warm place to rise for 30-45 minutes
- Turn dough out onto a floured workspace
- Grill naan pieces on a grill or electric griddle
- This recipe yields a very soft, chewey naan
How To Make NaanMix together flour, baking powder and salt.Stir in the yogurt till the dough is too stiff for a spoon, then knead it in the bowl till it holds together well, adding more flour if necessary.Turn it out on a floured surface and continue kneading for about 5 minutes till the dough feels smooth and elastic.Form the dough into a ball and put it in an oiled bowl, covered with a towel, to rest for an hour or longer.Take the dough out and cut it into 10 equal pieces. Form each into a ball and press the balls flat into round discs.Heat a large frying pan or griddle, either seasoned cast iron or a good non-stick finish.Heat your oven to about 500 and have the broiler on (this is how the original recipe states it - I know with my oven it's either 500 degree oven OR the broiler, but you get the idea.Remove naan from the oven and brush it lightly with melted butter if you like.Serve the breads hot, fresh from the oven, or let them cool and wrap them up.
- 4 cups flour
- Teaspoon baking powder
- Teaspoon salt
- Cups plain low-fat yogurt