EducationAzam Swati hold mutiple degrees:
- M.A. Economics
- M.A. Political Science
- LL.B (Gold Medalist)
- LL.M (International Law from University of Houston (Texas-USA)
- Doctor of Jurisprudence from South Texas College of Law (Texas U.S.A)
- Attorney-at-Law (State of Texas)
Political CareerIn 1997 he established Pak-Oil Company and acquired jobber-ship for Exxon, Chevron, Mobil,Shell and Diamond Shamrok. Besides fuel distribution & whole sale business he has handsome investments in real estate in the Beaumont-Golden Triangle areas as well as in the bordering State of Louisiana. During his stay in United States he keenly studied the American Institutions and functioning of their democratic system. He felt the urge to help his country of origin by transferring the experience he had acquired in his adopted homeland America.
Nazim MansehraHe took along a burning desire to see American values of liberty, Justice Right to pursue happiness,Civil liberties, Rule of Law and due process of Law transplanted in Pakistan. His desire to serve Pakistan led him back to Pakistan and he started participating in active politics. He participated in first local government elections under the rule of General Musharaf and got elected with landslide victory as ” District Nazim” of NWFP’s largest District” Mansehra”.After serving one and a half years he resigned from that position in order to run for senate and he got elected to Pakistan Senate with highest votes in February 2003.
Services and efforts
Swati left JUI-FIn 2011, Swati quit the Senate, reportedly after writing a letter to his party that the lawmaking body was not serving the people of Pakistan. He claimed that after receiving the letter, JUI-F served him a show-cause notice following which he decided to bid adieu. The JUI-F, meanwhile, claimed that Swati resigned because he had not been guaranteed a party ticket for the 2012 Senate election. To this, Swati pointed out that when elected to the Senate earlier, he had been chosen as an independent candidate.
Joining of PTISwati then joined Imran Khan’s PTI. He has publicly supported the demand for a separate Hazara province, saying he would finance 10 per cent of such an endeavour himself. And he just might, knowing he is among the richest parliamentarians on record.
AssetsHe is ostensibly one of the richest parliamentarians in the history of Pakistan in terms of wealth formally declared and taxed of $20.5m, with fellow PTI member Jehangir Khan Tareen also having a high official declared wealth. Swati's declared assets are:
- Rs 250m Abbottabad house
- Rs 0.45m another Abbottabad house;
- 10 plots worth Rs 12m in Bahria Town
- Rs 13 million of worth 8 plots in Top City
- Rs 11m four plots;
- Total current assets US$4.8m including personal banks accounts, note receivable etc.;
- US$15m worth fixed assets including real estate, 46% equity in Swati Enterprises and 100% equity in Swati Investment co.
- Other assets worth US$0.59m include household furniture, jewellery etc.
- His liabilities are US$5.2m.
Member of CommitteesSwati was the part of following committees:
- Senate Standing Committee on Commerce
- Functional Committee on Government Assurance
- Functional Committee on Problems of Less Developed Areas
- Senate Standing Committee on Health
- Senate Standing Committee on Petroleum and Natural Resources
- Senate Standing Committee on Information Technology
- Senate Library Committee
A promoter of goodwill
- Got elected District Nazim Mansehra in 2001. Brought New Vision to this institution. Set example of honesty and integrity for others to follow.
- Got elected Senator in 2003 and joined J.U.I (F).
- Got re-elected Senator again on technocrat seat in 2006.
- Member of several organizations.
- Pattern-in-Chief of Meher Children Foundation and Pakistan Chamber of Commerce, USA.
- As a Senator, he represented Pakistan on many national and international forums including United Nation.
Senate Election Result 2018Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) candidate Mehar Taj Roghani was elected to one of the women's seats from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, while the other was taken by PPP's Rubina Khalid.PTI's Azam Swati and PML-N's Dilawar Khan were elected to the two technocrat seats for the province.PTI-backed cleric Maulana Samiul Haq of Darul Uloom Haqqani notoriety could bag only three votes.
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.