Introduction of Mayo Hospital
- Mayo Hospital is the oldest and largest hospital of the country, serving the humanity since 1871.
- Mayo Hospital was completed in 1870 and it started patient care in 1871. It was named after the Earl of Mayo, the then Viceroy and the Governor General of India.
- Encompassing over 54.6 acres of land and the main building with boundary having 11 gates, the hospital is one of the largest hospitals in South East Asia and is a centre of excellence for public benefit. It had bed capacity of 300 beds on the Day of Independence (1947) but now is extended up to 2399 beds. The father of the nation, Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah also paid tribute to services rendered by this hospital on his visit to Mayo Hospital dated 19.03.1940.
- Mayo Hospital is located in the heart of Lahore City and is surrounded by busy commercial and thickly populated residential areas with famous Anarkali Bazaar, Nila Gumbad, Gawalmandi and the Walled City of Old Lahore around it.
- Earlier, after its construction in 1871, the Mayo Hospital was affiliated as a teaching hospital with the King Edward Medical College which came into being in 1860. The hospital was used to be managed by the Medical Superintendent under the administrative control of Government till 1999 when the whole setup was declared as Autonomous Medical Institution and the Mayo Hospital became Allied Hospital of King Edward Medical College. The Principal KEMC and the M.S. Mayo Hospital were placed under the administrative control of a newly created post of Chief Executive. In 2002, the Board of Governors took over the charge of the institution under PMHI Ordinance 2002, according to which the posts of Principal Executive Officer (PEO) / Dean and Deputy Dean were created. In the next year 2003, under another PMHI Ordinance 2003, the Board of Governors was replaced with the Board of Management under which Principal KEMC was declared Head of Institution consisting of KEMC & Mayo Hospital. Mayo Hospital History on Mayo Hospital website
Chronology of Developments(Year Wise) Developments Stages Mayo Hospital
- 1871: Construction of the Main Building of Mayo Hospital
- 1891: Construction of Albert Victor Hospital (AVH) Block (Private Block)
- 1948: Pediatrics Block (Old)
- 1952: Out Patient Department Block
- 1982: Institute of Ophthalmology
- 1984: Accidents & Emergency Block & Pediatric Surgery Block.
- 2001: Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- 2002: Paediatric Specialty Block
- 2003: Preventive Ophthalmology (PIPO)
- 2004: Construction of Surgical Tower (Expected Completion in December 2011)
- 2010-11: School of Nursing (Largest in Punjab)
Accidents and Emergency Department in the Mayo Hospital
It is based on:
Effective implementation of Government commitment for the provision of free treatment to all patients.
Inculcating Sense of Social Security through the Availability of 100% Commodities to 100% Patients round the clock.
After detailed discussion by the members of a Special Committee constituted for the above purpose, a Consensus, on the medicines / surgical items to be used in the hospital, was reached and only these drugs are used in the hospital with optimum efficacy, to avoid fancy drugs on private prescriptions. This is for the poor patient benefit
Client Satisfication Ratio CSR
Measures for the achievement of CSR:
- Audiovisual Communication to attendants
- Behavioral change for the betterment of humanity, i.e. a new culture introduced, the patients and the attendants have been declared the guests of the hospital
- Clinical / Surgical Audit on the feedback of all the cases admitted or entertained in Mayo Hospital to ensure that no patient is left unattended or at the mercy of indifferent, unprofessional or casual attitude.  Client Satisfication Mayo Hospital Website
- Central ICU with Central Oxygen (O2) & Suction System
- Angiography, Angioplasty, Cardiac Bypass, Heart Valves Replacement and all sorts of Cardiac Operations and procedures
- Radio Isotope Cardiology / Echocardiography / ETT
- Spiral CT, Color Doppler and Ultrasonography on latest machines
- Renal Transplantation and Renal Haemodialysis
- All Dermatological Procedures
- Radiotherapy on latest machines
- Latest Physiotherapy Equipment, Rehabilitation Center and Orthopaedic Workshop
- EMG, EEG and all kind of sophisticated Neuro-surgical operations
- Operations of Plastic Surgery and cosmetology
- Operations of Maxillofacial, Jaw and Dental Surgery
- All kinds of Orthopaedic Operations under competent consultants
- All kind of Eye and ENT Operations
- Surgical Operations of all kind for neonates, children, young and old patients
- Radio Isotope Thyroid, Liver, Bone, Brain and other organs scanning, Hormonal Assays and Viral Markings are being done in CENUM.  Facilities available in Mayo Hospital Website
Services performed in the year 2010
Total attendance 14,36,162
Total admissions 93,070
Operations performed 89,516
Lab. Tests performed 26,66,236
X-Ray performed 2,20,165
C.T.Scan 12,760  Data showing the number of the patients
Medical Center Mayo Hospital
Free Food Programme
- Free Food for all the admitted patients three times a day is an unprecedented goal. The hospital has been able to successfully manage the continuity of the above programme for the last many years and hopefully would be able to continue it for indefinite period of time for the benefit of the patients.
- Purely on Self Help Basis from the philanthropists.
- An extra ordinary transparent system maintained.
- Rs. 10 million are available with the Patient Welfare Association to ensure the continuity of the programme for subsequent periods.
- The monthly cost is approximately Rs. 20,000,00/- (2 Million)
- Telemedicine is the most needed advantage of Networking / Information Technology which is sought to deliver specialized advice to the patients living at far flung remote areas who find themselves at the mercy of quackery or suffer from lack of adequate medical services.
- In the past, the Department of Telemedicine remained ignored.
- The present administration revitalized the department.
- The patients from remote districts of RAJANPUR, D.G KHAN, GUJRAT, GHAMBAT, KHUSHAB and JHANG are greatly benefiting.
- An honor for Mayo Hospital, landmark of more than 20,000 patients consultations crossed.
- The dream of the Chief Minister Punjab has come true through the provision of health care expertise to the poor masses, who are unable to reach big cities because of lacking financial resources.  Telemedicine mayo hospital
Achievements and their Continuity
Under the kind and humane initiative of Mian Shahbaz Sharif, Honourable Chief Minister Punjab, in all the Indoor Wards and OPD Departments, the provision of medicines / operation items / services have been made free of cost for all the patients round the clock.
Anaylsis and Conclusions
Following factors are important:
- Commitment and desire of hospital administration to provide 100% free medical treatment to 100% patients at all occasions.
- Proper analysis of available resources, planning, documentation, implementation, management, monitoring, control and evaluation through feedback is essential.
- Compulsory and Surprise Inspection by the Medical Superintendent, Zonal Heads (Addl. Medical Superintendents, Deputy Medical Superintendents, Chief Pharmacist, Deputy Chief Nursing Superintendent and Nursing Superintendents) has been made mandatory.
- Periodic meetings with Senior Registrars, Registrars, Nursing staff, Administrative staff in addition to Technical, Tender and different Hospital committees, have been scheduled on regular basis. Through these meetings, concerned officials and staff are inspired and motivated. They are focused on ethical and moral values and the noble cause of their profession. Their refined attitude ensures quick and quality health services towards humanity-in-distress.
- The above achievement, an unparallel feat of any Government Department is the result of dynamic leadership of Mian Shahbaz Sharif, Chief Minister, Punjab. It can not go without saying that it would not have manifested itself so glaringly without the fine piece of administration by Dr. Zahid Pervaiz, Medical Superintendent and his dedicated team.Analysis and conclusions mayo hospital
Created By: Maryum Tanweer
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks