Playback singer Masood Rana
Masood Rana was born in Mirpurkhas, Sind, where his ancestors owned land. His fore fathers originally hailed from Jallundhar, East Punjab.
As a teenager, he started singing from Radio Pakistan, Hyderabad in 1955.
Renowned Pakistani music director, Baba G.A.Chishti, is well known for his magnificent compositions for the Pakistani movies.
One of his greatest accomplishments was, indeed, the introduction of Masood Rana to the Pakistani music. Masood Rana began his singing career in 1962. With his charismatic voice and God-gifted talents, he rapidly climbed the rungs of the ladder and within no time, he was competing with the remarkable singers of his period. The eventful story of his dramatic rise in the world of music started with his debut song: 'Mashriq ki hai tareef' (film: 'Inqilaab': 1962, music: Natho khan), which was followed by another super hit, romantic song: 'Kaheen dil pay na jadoo'
Then came one of the most popular, evergreen song: 'Aye dil tujhay ab unsay ye kaisi shikayat hai' (film: 'shararat': 1963, lyrics: Masroor Anwar, music: Deebo, pictured on Mohammad Ali).
It was followed by 'Mukhray pay Aanchal' (film: 'Dil nay tujhay maan liya': 1963, singer: Masood Rana- Naheed Niazi, music: Muslehuddin).
Next in line was Masood's all time favorite Punjabi song: 'Tangay wala khair mangda'  Biography biography
His started his singing career on Radio Pakistan Hydrabad
in 1955 and established a singer group in Karachi in the early 60's with two other famous names in showbiz - Nadeem and Akhlaq Ahmad. Masood Rana was got his first breakthrough when the renowned actor Saqi introduced him to producer and director Iqbal Shehzad and musician Deebo. His first film song was in the film Inqalab and the song was Mashriq ki tareek faza mein nya svera phoota hay… composed by music director N. K. Rahoor but he got fame from his second film Banjaran in 1962. He was proudly introduced as "Pakistani Rafi" and always lived up to his reputation. He was a specialist in singing difficult songs in very high pitch and was the first choice for title and theme songs.
In 1964, the Punjabi song Tange wala khair mangda… in the film Daachi was a street song. he then became the most dominating male singer in both Urdu and Punjabi films when his six songs in film Hamarahi (1966) were mega hits. Masood Rana is still the only male singer in Pakistani films who sang more than 300 songs in each of two languages - Urdu and Punjabi. He sang in more than 550 films and he worked continuously from his first film in 1962 till his death in 1995.  Career career
List of Movies
- 1994 Laila (playback singer)
- 1993 Jannat (playback singer)
- 1991 Nigahen (playback singer)
- 1988 Maula Baksh (playback singer)
- 1987 Janbaz (playback singer)
- 1985 Zameen Aasmaan (playback singer)
- 1985 Angara (playback singer)
- 1984 Sholay (playback singer)
- 1983 Sona Chandi (playback singer)
- 1976 Sohni Mahiwal (playback singer)
- 1975 Shoukan Mele Di (playback singer)
- 1973 Daman Aur Chingari (playback singer)
- 1973 Kubra Ashiq (playback singer)
- 1972 Mele Sajna De (playback singer)
- 1970 Chand Suraj (playback singer)
- 1970 Heer Ranjha (playback singer)
- 1970 Love in Jungle (playback singer)
- 1969 Geet Kahin Sangeet Kahin (playback singer)
- 1969 Naajo (playback singer)
- 1969 Nai Laila Naia Majnoo (playback singer)
- 1968 Dara (playback singer)
- 1968 Sassi Punnu (playback singer)
- 1968 Chand Aur Chandni (playback singer)
- 1968 Payal (playback singer)
- 1967 Mirza Jat (playback singer)
- 1967 Shola Aur Shabnam (playback singer)
- 1967 Do Raha (playback singer)
- 1967 Kuli (playback singer)
- 1966 Aina (playback singer)
- 1966 Bhaiya (playback singer)
- 1966 Badnam (playback singer)
- 1966 Ghar Ki Laaj (playback singer)
- 1966 Aag Ka Darya (playback singer)
- 1965 Malangi (playback singer)
- 1965 Mala (playback singer)
- 1965 Naila (playback singer)
- 1965 Heer Sial (playback singer)  Filmography Filmography
Some Facts about Masood Rana
With Noor jahan
Masood Rana's first released film was Inqalab in 1962, but he was the only male singer who got massive publicity in his debut in his second film Banjaran..
Due to Masood Rana's unlimited singing talent, he was called Pakistani Rafi - and he always lived up to his reputation.
Masood Rana was a much needed male singer for Pakistani films, therefor he continuously sang from his first film till his death, and there was not a single year without his songs between 1962-95 - and it was a glorious and record making period of 34 years..
Masood Rana was a record holder male singer and sang the maximum numbers of film songs in maximum numbers of Pakistani films. He was the only "Century maker" playback singer in both Urdu and Punjabi films and songs..
- Masood Rana sang 1000+ songs in 630+ films from 1962-96. He sang around about 400 songs in 220+ Urdu films and 600+ songs in 370+ Punjabi films..
- Masood Rana was a totally dominating male singer in Pakistani Punjabi films, and he became a standard voice like Madam Noorjahan. Every third male song in Punjabi films is sung by Masood Rana,
- Masood Rana sang the maximum numbers of title and theme songs in Pakistani Urdu and Punjabi films..
- Masood Rana was not dependant on the popularity of any film actor, most of his songs were filmed as background songs.
- Masood Rana sang seven songs in memorable film Hamrahi in 1966, six of them were all time super hit songs with various genres like Naat (spiritual song), Tarana (patriotic song), Ghazal (Urdu classic poetry) and other happy and sad songs
- Masood Rana sang for four decades (1960s-90s) but his songs were filmed on actors from eight decades from 1920s till 1990s..
- Madam Noorjahan sang the maximum duets with Masood Rana.  Facts Facts
Masood Rana as an Actor
In Film 'Badsha'
Masood Rana was also seen as an actor in few films, but he was not successful in this filed. He was solo hero in Urdu film Shahi Faqeer (1970), second hero in Punjabi film 2 Mutiaran (1968) and third hero in Punjabi film Yaar Badshah (1971). He appeared as guest actor in many films from Banjaran (1962) till Dostana (1982).  Actor Actor
Created By: Amna Ellahi
Edit By: nonePakpedia
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.