Geo Television is a Pakistani television network founded by Mir Shakil-ur-Rehman in May 2002. Geo TV is owned by Independent Media Corporation, which also owns the Jang Group of Newspapers. The channel began its test transmission in August 2002, whereas regular transmission began in October 2002. Geo is an Urdu word which translates to ‘live on’ in English. Since its launch, Geo TV has tested the bounds of freedom of expression in Pakistan to unprecedented levels in the country’s history. This has also put Geo TV in numerous conflicts with the Pakistani government. Geo Television Network started out with its flagship channel Geo TV, but has since launched several other channels which include the following: GEO Entertainment, GEO News, GEO Super and AAG TV. Geo Network has released many films under the banner of Geo Films including Khuda Kay Liye, and Ramchand Pakistani.
Geo News Owner Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman
Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman is a Pakistani media mogul and philanthropist. As a businessman, he is known as the founder of 24-hour news cycle network, Geo TV, as well as its executive. In addition, he is the owner of the Jang Group of Newspapers, that was started by his father Mir Khalil ur Rehman and part owner of the Independent Media Corporation. This media group publishes a number of newspapers and magazines in Urdu and English. IMC also owns the Geo TV network.
CareerShakil founded Geo TV in May 2002. In the late 1990s, during Nawaz Sharif's second term as Prime Minister, Shakil was first asked by Sharif's government to dismiss some of the staff members of the Jang Group. Keeping in line with the tradition of the media group that was founded by Mir Shakil's father, Mir Khalil ur Rehman, Shakil refused to dismiss the staff, a number of tax evasion cases were filed against his news group amounting to 40 million US dollars, followed by freezing of bank accounts and seizure of their assets. The government withdrew their court cases after some facts were made public by Shakil. Shakil established a television channel network by the name of Geo TV in May 2002.
- Geo Entertainment
- Geo Super (Sports)
- Geo Tez Comedy)
- Geo Kahani
- AAG TV (Music and entertainment channel for younger generation)
On 7 June 2014, Geo News was banned by Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority ( PEMRA), a government media watchdog agency, with 15 days ban and a fine of PKR 1 crore. Government of Pakistan accused Geo News of defaming and maligning (PEMRA).
- Faheem Asghar
- Wajih Sani
- Abdullah Sultan
- Rabia Anum
- Muhammad Junaid
- Absa Komal
- Ayesha Khalid
- Hifza Chaudhary
- Ashar Alam
- Zohaib Hassan
- Muhammad Junaid
Top 10 News Channels in the World
- It is a Pakistani news channel, launched in 2002 and owned by Jang Group. Geo is an urdu word which Geo is an Urdu word which means “live on” in English. It has numerous conflicts with the Pakistani government but still it is adored by global Urdu language viewers. It’s slogan is “Geo Aur Jeenay Do”.
PEMRA suspends Geo News
- Pakistan Electronic Media Regulation Authority (PEMRA) has suspended the license of Geo Television for fifteen days,
- PEMRA also imposed a fine of one crore Pakistani Rupees on Geo Tv.
- Pakistan Electronic Media Regulation Authority imposed this fine and suspended thelicense of Geo Tv over the complaint of ISI.
- Unidentified assailants torched World Call office situated in Clifton, a post area of Karachi, while the incident is being linked as resistance’ against restoration of Geo News’ transmission in Pakistan.
- According to local media reports, four armed persons entered into the World Call office in Clifton of the metropolis today and torched all valuable assets.
- Chairman Cable Operator Association Khalid Arain condemned the attack carried out against Karachi-based cable operators; claiming it as ‘severe reaction’ after resuming ‘Geo News’.
- Khalid Arain said that Geo News aired blasphemous programme and started controversies against armed forces of Pakistan.
- Arain said that they were ensured with full security measures for all cable operators by Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Pervaiz Rasheed, despite their fear for expected reaction after airing Geo News.
- The chairman questioned, “Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) should tell us how we can continue Geo News transmission in current situtation.”
- Moreover, another leader of cable operators’ association, Tahir Chaudhry claimed that the incident was one of the consequences they faced after permitting Geo News.
- 7th floor, Landmark Plaza,I. I. Chundrigarh road, Karachi, Pakistan
- UAN: + 92 21 111436111 (Ext: 6218,6202)
- Karim D. Barolia | Mobile: +92 300 9231515
- Email: email@example.com Asfar Raza
- Mobile: +92 333 2293618 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daily Awaz Building 16, Davis Road. Lahore.
- Tel: +92 42 6309462-75
- Fax: +92 42-6309471
- Shaheen Raza
- Mobile: +92 300 9412101
- Email: email@example.com
- Ahmed Faraz
- Mobile: +92 300 8422454
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jang Building 40, Blue Area, Islamabad.
- Tel: 2877761 - 2871821
- Fax: +92 51 2275646
- Saquib Malik |
- Mobile: +92 300 501900
- Email: email@example.com
- Shakeel Ahmad|
- Mobile: +92 300 5272973
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bookings on International Beams N. America UK Europe Middle East
- Muhammad Hassan |
- Mobile: +971 5011 38392
- Email: email@example.com Naseer Rana
- Mobile: +917 975 6045
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Waleed Zia Siddiquii
- Mobile: +44 (0) 781 194 3118 / +44 (0) 207 407 4686
- Email: email@example.com
Bookings on International Channels
- Uzair Amirali Lakdawalla
- Mobile: +92 332 3799844
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
GEO TV Online Advertisement
- 6th Floor, Al-Rehman Building, I.I Chundrigar Road, Karachi, Pakistan
- Tel: +92 21 2637111
- Dir:+ 92 21 2626088,2271434
- Ext: (2548, 2547)
- Lucas Peter (Director Marketing)
- Email: email@example.com
- International Content Acquisitions & Syndicationn | www.geo.tv
- Sulaiman Lalani (Executive Director)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org