Early life and education
First dayHe was welcomed by a strike letter on his first day on the desk MD. He struggled hard to set things straight over the months.
Experience at LawrencepurAccording to Mr Razaq Dawood "Marketing was not understood properly and there was no market segmentation or product differentiation done ever at Lawrencepur. In order to sell, one needs to understand the pulse of the market first. I used to walk down Anarkali with my father for hours and used to listen to the shopkeepers, the customers, their demands, likes and dislikes in order to set our strategy. And an entrepreneur’s job is exactly the same. “I loved the job and Lawrencepure and gelled in the environment quickly.
Joining at Dawood Hercules
Experience at DHMr Dawood Razaq shares his experience at DH "Here it was different; learning about corporate struggle, board structure, articles of association and lot of agreements. Dawood Hercules had no problems of marketing, no problems of production and no problems of cash flow. It was a problem of different mindsets. Dawood and Hercules could not match cultures of local company with an American multinational. This ugly problem took 1.5 years to be solved by winning the hearts of Americans (Hercules) and maintaining confidence of family members (Dawoods).
CEOLater, he became the CEO. There were no problems in Dawood Hercules unlike Lawrencepur, so I got opportunity to learn engineering. Being 29 years old among the old and experienced engineers working in the plant, he started learning the machinery as well as plant operations. He had no idea what was in store for him but he kept learning.
Take away from Dawood Hercules“That was the day when I said, I have faith in my Pakistani engineers. It’s about the judgment call that few can take and few cant. Pakistani engineers did it clearly indicating their competency.” Mr Razzaq shared. “Winds of change in the family started and the family could not stay as it was. I could see it coming and about to break. On 21st April 1981 I was finally asked to go, so I packed up my bags and moved out of Dawood Hercules.
Descon Engineering (pvt) Ltd.
Services to DesconThe Descon Group is the largest construction and engineering company in Pakistan positioning itself rapidly in the global markets. In less than 3 decades, Abdul Razak Dawood transformed DESCON from a 1977 start up with 4 engineers to more than 1600 engineers and professionals (employee strength reaching 40,000) globally competitive engineering company based out of Pakistan.
Journey of Descon group
Global presenceDescon’s global presence spreads across United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Oman and Qatar from where new ventures are executed in Kuwait, Iraq and Egypt. The development and manufacturing of industrial process equipment and piping spool takes effect from our state-of-the-art plant. The strength of our experienced project team carrying operations have the essential ISO, OHSAS and ASME certifications in addition to our own QA & QC and HSE standards.
Social welfareAs part of our Corporate Social Responsibility, Descon takes immense pride in educating underprivileged youth, keen to acquire technical skills and improving their livelihood through the Descon Technical Institute. DTI also provides vocational trainings to young aspiring students.
Set visionDriven by a set vision and commitment, Descon strives to add value to our clients' businesses by providing world-class solutions at cost-effective levels.
Other servicesAbdul Razak Dawood has also served as
- The Federal Minister for Commerce, Industries and Production for four years.
- He is the Chairman Pakistan Business Council and Managing Director of Descon Engineering Limited and six other private companies.
- His former corporate positions included, CEO Dawood Hercules Chemicals and Managing Director Lawrencepur Woolen & Textile.
- He has been on the board of various corporate giants such as ICI Pakistan, KSB Pumps, United Refrigeration Ltd, PIA, & State Bank of Pakistan.
- He taught at Department of Business Administration, University of Punjab and is the Member Syndicate, the University of Punjab as well as member Senate, University of Punjab.
- Abdul Razak Dawood has been an active philanthropist and at present he is the Rector, Lahore University of Management Sciences to which his family has donated generously, Vice Chairman, board of Governors National Management Foundation.
- He is Member Board of Directors, Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Trustee CARE Foundation and Member Board of Directors NUML College.
Position on which Mr Razaq has served
|Descon Oxychem Limited (Commodity Chemicals)||Chairman||-|
|Descon Engineering Ltd.||Chief Executive Officer||1977|
|Altern Energy Limited (Independent Power Producers)||Chairman||-|
|Pakistan Business Council||Director||-|
|Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital & Research Centre||Trustee||-|
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.