EducationShe obtained the degree of MBBS (Medium Surgery) from Fatima Jinnah Medical College, Lahore. She then went to USA. During her stay in USA, she completed her postgraduate from University of Wisconsin, and from University of Michigan.
- Fellowship, University of Michigan, Geriatric Medicine, 1997
- Residency, Aurora Sinai Medical Center, Internal Medicine, 1993
AwardRecipient of Prestigious Genetics Academic Career Award during 2002-07.
AuthorShe is an author of Seven Books Chapters in Multiple US text books, ten Research Papers in Multiple US Medical journals including JAMA, one of, the most prestigious medical journal of the USA.
General Election 2008
- A Novel Geriatric/Cardiology/Nursing Partnership to Assess Inpatient Falls (Bogomolskiy, D; Buttar, A; Gonzalez-Stark, L; Ho, R; Perskin, M; Zweig, Y)
- Geriatric care management for low-income seniors: a randomized controlled trial(Counsell, Steven R; Callahan, Christopher M; Clark, Daniel O; Tu, Wanzhu; Buttar, Amna B; Stump, Timothy E; Ricketts, Gretchen D)
- Geriatric Resources for Assessment and Care of Elders (GRACE): a new model of primary care for low-income seniors(Counsell, Steven R; Callahan, Christopher M; Buttar, Amna B; Clark, Daniel O; Frank, Kathryn I)
- A national study showed that diagnoses varied by age group in nursing home residents under age 65(Fries, Brant E; Wodchis, Walter P; Blaum, Caroline; Buttar, Amna; Drabek, John; Morris, John N)
- Six-month cognitive improvement in nursing home residents with severe cognitive impairment(Buttar, Amna B; Mhyre, Jill; Fries, Brant E; Blaum, Caroline S)
- Caregiver attitudes and hospitalization risk in michigan residents receiving home- and community-based care(Shugarman, Lisa R; Buttar, Amna; Fries, Brant E; Moore, Tisha; Blaum, Caroline S)
Dual Nationality Case
Familys Political StruggleDr Buttar also highlighted her family’s political struggle and role in the struggle for the independence of judiciary in Pakistan. She said that being a student of medical sciences, she obtained the US citizenship in 1992 but she is a Pakistani national by birth.She further told the court that being the founder of Asian American Network Against Abuse, she led protests against General Pervez Musharraf in New York City and Washington DC subsequently. She and her family in Pakistan were harassed and threatened by military establishment through Brigadier Ijaz Shah, Dr Buttar added.
In Court - April 2007Dr Buttar, in her concise statement, stated that Brigadier Shah personally met her in 2005 and made a direct death threat to her. But, she said, these tactics and harassment only strengthened her resolve to continue being the voice for the oppressed in Pakistan. Dr Buttar also told the court that in April 2007, she participated in the lawyers rally in Islamabad and was targeted and brutally assaulted by the Elite Police inside the premises of the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
Act 1951 and Article 631cShe said that her name was highlighted in the list of dual nationality holders with prejudice to target her. She told the court that she has not violated the Section 14 of the Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951, and Article 63(1)(c) is not applicable at this stage because no objections were raised at the stage of scrutiny of nomination papers and her election was never challenged before any election tribunal.
General ElectionAlthough, the Supreme Court seeks proper arrangements for overseas Pakistanis to vote in general elections, this week it made it clear that it would not allow dual nationals to be a part of the assemblies citing constitutional restraints.
Other Citizen Holds Dual NationalitySenator Wasim Sajjad, the counsel for MNA Farah Naz Ispahani (who holds citizenship of both Pakistan and the US) told the bench that it was unrealistic to question someone’s loyalty on the basis of nationalities they held and to suspend their assembly membership.The court has suspended memberships of Ispahani and then federal interior minister Rehman Malik for holding the US and UK nationalities respectively. Ispahani’s lawyer asked the court to refer this matter to the parliament or interpret the Constitution in the supreme national interest.
Permanent Contact Info
- Address:235-L, Model Town, Lahore.
- Phone #:+92 42 37313073 (Off), +92 42 35164318 (Res), +92 333 4000879
Rate This Article No Thanks
Pakpedia.pk Pakistan's biggest free encyclopedia provide you free platform publicly. The source of information collected from many sites by different people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates, Thank you.