Akram khan Durrani Biography
akram khan durrani college
akram khan durrani sons
akram khan durrani contact number
Akram Khan Durrani BiographyDurrani is one of the few politicians who secured a seat in the Provincial Assembly during the upsets of the 2018 general election. During his political career, he has served as Chief Minister of Khyber Pukhtunkhwa during the Musharraf regime for 5 years. He also served as a Federal Minister in the cabinet of Nawaz Sharif. Durrani considers himself as the worker of Mufti Mahmood, the late father of Moulana Fazal Rahman. Due to his association with JUI, he was recently summoned by NAB in a corruption case that is called politically driven by the opposition.
Akram Khan Durrani FamilyDurrani is the son of Ghulam Qadir Khan. His sons Zahid khan Durrani and Zaid Akran Khan Durrani are also politicians and associated with Jamiat Ulama Islam. Zahid Durrani is the current member of the National Assembly. He won it after Imran Khan vacated the seat in 2018.
Education of DurraniAccording to the official website of Assembly of Khyber Pukhtunkhwa, Durrani has done L.L.B.
Akram date of BirthHe was born on 2nd March 1960 in Bannu, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.
Initial CareerDurrani was inspired by the religious-political ideology of Mufti Mahmood for the implementation of an Islamic system in Pakistan. It made him join the Jamiat Ulama Islam and was soon elected as a member of the Provincial Assembly of the then NWFP now Khyber Pukhtunkhwa in the 1997 general election.
As a Chief Minister
- His emergence was seen in the 2002 general election. As his party was in a much stronger position in NWFP after the alliance of the religious parties named as Muttahida Majlis Amal (MMA). He won his provincial seat from Bannu and was soon appointed for the seat of Chief Minister of NWFP now, Khyber Pukhtunkhwa.
- He contested the election for the Chief Ministership against Qalandar Khan Lodhi, a candidate of four strong parties including Pakistan People’s Party Sherpao, Awami National Party, Pakistan Muslim League Quaid and Pakistan people’s Party Parliamentarian. In the election against Lodhi, he bagged 78 votes while his opponent, Lodhi got only 44 votes and became the 22nd Chief Minister of NWFP. He was also voted by the independent candidates and the members of PMLN.
- His election as the Chief Minister was not received well by the Non-governmental Organizations as the MMA was a strict religious alliance. He again opposed the idea of co-education calling it against the values of Pushtoons.
- Some of the main concerns for the Durrani administration were the law and order situation, development of the social sector, and creating a strong relationship with the center to benefit the weaker financial position of the province. Soon after the election, he banned the sale of liquor and gambling in the province which were promised in the election campaign. He was one of the few Chief Ministers who completed the 5 years term.
2013 General Elections
- In the 2013 general election, the success of most of the members JUI was unsure as they were repeatedly targeted by Imran Khan in the election campaign. Durrani contested on the ticket of JUI from NA-35 against a stronger but independent candidate Maulana Nasim Ali shah and Matiullah of PTI. He successfully defeated both of his opponents and received 78294 votes. Durrani also won a seat in the provincial assembly which he later vacated.
- After allying in the center, he was appointed as the minister of Housing and work. His ministry continued till the disqualification of Nawaz Sharif. He was re-appointed by Khaqan Abbasi in his cabinet and worked as a Minister of Housing and Works until the expiration of the government in 2018.